Astro & Safari campers?!

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Astro & Safari campers?!

Postby d0n [OP] » November 20th 2009, 11:04pm

Wow, there's some cool conversions out there for our vans. I didn't know about them until my friend mentioned that he saw a TIGER astro camper locally. I started searching the net and found a bunch of astro/safari based campers and conversions.

Anyone here have one? I want one! :rolling: :rockon:

Original Poster [OP]
d0n
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: d0n has been a member for 5 full yearsd0n has been a member for 5 full yearsd0n has been a member for 5 full yearsd0n has been a member for 5 full yearsd0n has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 17
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD SLE

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Astro & Safari campers?!

Postby Big_kid » November 21st 2009, 12:37am

I settled for a Craigslist popup. I still wouldn't mind one of those though!
95 Astro Conversion of unknown lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 80
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2WD conversion

Postby 90lownslow » November 21st 2009, 12:41am

I'll take a AstroV
[gallery][/gallery
90lownslow
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: 90lownslow has been a member for 5 full years90lownslow has been a member for 5 full years90lownslow has been a member for 5 full years90lownslow has been a member for 5 full years90lownslow has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 22
Year: 1995
Extra Info: hitop conversion rwd

Postby Mr_Bowtie » November 21st 2009, 12:50pm

I like the '03 Astro in the first pic! Thats exactly what I want....now if I just had money and time to enjoy it. :lol:
Here is more pics of that guy's Van: http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee25 ... =slideshow
'96 Astro AWD 206K miles!
31" tires LIFTED 4" total with tires! SOLD! :(
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Nick
Year: 1996
Extra Info: Lifted AWD

Postby Gary » November 21st 2009, 1:21pm

Most of the Tiger's are found out west where Provans factory was before they moved.Like Washington state etc.The POP-Up's where pre-1989's and the hard tops where models called XL's.They still draw a price like $7,000 to $15,000 grand primarily because they still get about 16mpg with 4.3's.Provans doesn't build them anylonger and doesn't even have the molds anylonger either.They really fall down in their ability to tow anything at all.With a wt of about 8,000lbs wet,that is about all they can handle.They are 16' long.I've been passively looking to get a fix'er upper er for about 3 to 4yrs now and haven't found the right deal.I know of a guy quite awhile ago in the New England states area that owns a cube van version of this with barn doors on the back and a man door on the side.I think he wanted something like $1,700 for it and I thought at the time that was abit high.

Oh yeah-the same mod's apply to these campers as do to the Astro vans.Can still do a V8 conversion,lift,etc.They still have a sub-frame and not a full frame.Off-roading they do flex quite abit and you have to be careful not to crack the fiberglass body.
ImageImageImage

Keeping it real.
Gary
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 124
Extra Info: high top

Postby 90lownslow » November 21st 2009, 1:39pm

I was wandering if they put frames under them but I guess not
[gallery][/gallery
90lownslow
Years of Membership: 90lownslow has been a member for 5 full years90lownslow has been a member for 5 full years90lownslow has been a member for 5 full years90lownslow has been a member for 5 full years90lownslow has been a member for 5 full years

Postby Gary » November 27th 2009, 3:31am

Here is some listings which are kind of dated since the Tiger Motor Home web site went out of business.

http://tigermotorhomeowners.multiply.co ... for%20sale
ImageImageImage

Keeping it real.
Gary
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full years

Postby tedanderson » November 30th 2009, 1:03pm

What I like about the first one in this thread is that it's somewhat discreet. I'd like to get a camper conversion being that I spend a lot of time on the road and it will save me some time and money in lieu of finding a room every time I need some rest. But at the same time I don't want the whole world to think/know that I'm "going camping" when I am on my way to a consulting gig.
tedanderson
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby ihatemybike » November 30th 2009, 1:52pm

That first van is named the AstroLander and belongs to a guy that posts as T.Low on some Expedition, Chevy, and Vannin sites. It's a 2003 with 4" of lift and the pop top was done by GTRV in Vancouver.
Aaron

1999 Astro (Green - Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 220k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:97, 00, 94, 87, 86
ihatemybike
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ihatemybike has been a member for 5 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 5 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 5 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 5 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 62

Postby 90lownslow » December 2nd 2009, 2:06am

I am like a kid in the candystore. I SPOTTED A ASTROV TODAY. It is the one with two pics posted up above. It was dark and my girl wouldnt stop but I drove home and pulled in the drive. I will definetly go back and stop tomorrow and check it out. I am blown away because I first seen and heard of these on here and now I saw one in reality and now I need to make it mine. Kinda like the m*m commerical with santa cuz they do exsit
[gallery][/gallery
90lownslow

Postby 90lownslow » December 3rd 2009, 10:49pm

well i made the first move today. I stopped on my way home from school and talked to the owner. it was a nice lil old lady puffin on some oxygen hoses. well she didnt say if she would sell it or not but i gave her some info and hopefully she will be calling me soon. I WANT THAT ASTROV :shifty:
[gallery][/gallery
90lownslow

Postby grandamle91 » December 3rd 2009, 11:34pm

Saw this in walmart parking lot (it was a grumpy old man so i didn't dare get close to it)
Attachments
Astro Camper.jpg
-Evan
MONSTRO 97 Chevy Astro 346k
LQ9
4L80E
NP2
Full float 14 bolt 3.73
Tuned for e85
Headers 4in Exhaust
3500 spindles and hubs
285\85-16
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 253k
grandamle91
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: grandamle91 has been a member for 6 full yearsgrandamle91 has been a member for 6 full yearsgrandamle91 has been a member for 6 full yearsgrandamle91 has been a member for 6 full yearsgrandamle91 has been a member for 6 full yearsgrandamle91 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 135
Alias (AKA): Evan
Year: 1997
Extra Info: LT 6.0 V8 4L80E NP2

Postby Gary » December 4th 2009, 12:52am

I think that is a Provan Tiger XL.The LT's where pop-up versions.My question is which Astro did you stop by and look at??.It is highly unusual to see two of them in the same area.WOW!!!.Very cool.
ImageImageImage

Keeping it real.
Gary
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby ihatemybike » December 4th 2009, 3:14am

grandamle91 wrote:Saw this in walmart parking lot (it was a grumpy old man so i didn't dare get close to it)

Wuss, guy probably would have talked your ear off.
Aaron

1999 Astro (Green - Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 220k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:97, 00, 94, 87, 86
ihatemybike
Years of Membership: ihatemybike has been a member for 5 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 5 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 5 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 5 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 62

Postby grandamle91 » December 4th 2009, 4:54am

Just one astro, i didn't get up close to it because the guy looked pissed as hell and i didn't need him to say i was doing something with hes astro, although i would of love to see the inside. anuone have some inside pics of these
-Evan
MONSTRO 97 Chevy Astro 346k
LQ9
4L80E
NP2
Full float 14 bolt 3.73
Tuned for e85
Headers 4in Exhaust
3500 spindles and hubs
285\85-16
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 253k
grandamle91
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: grandamle91 has been a member for 6 full yearsgrandamle91 has been a member for 6 full yearsgrandamle91 has been a member for 6 full yearsgrandamle91 has been a member for 6 full yearsgrandamle91 has been a member for 6 full yearsgrandamle91 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 135
Alias (AKA): Evan
Year: 1997
Extra Info: LT 6.0 V8 4L80E NP2

Postby 90lownslow » December 4th 2009, 5:09am

the one I hope to make mine real soon is a ALLEGRO :think: That is what it says above the winsheild. She wouldnt let me look in it so I couldnt snap any. And from the drivers door we all know what that looks like. I am curious myself as to what they look like inside. I went on the link

Gary wrote:Here is some listings which are kind of dated since the Tiger Motor Home web site went out of business.

http://tigermotorhomeowners.multiply.co ... for%20sale

I hope she doesnt look at this or else I will not be gettin it. Does anyone know why they sell for that much?
Hopefully she will call me soon and then I can look and post some pics. The picture I want most is it sittin in the drive beside my baby. I am not even a outdoorsy guy but with that front clip I can see some real campin not just passin out in the back. :)
[gallery][/gallery
90lownslow

Postby Gary » December 4th 2009, 6:05am

Here is some pics I have:

A bathroom:

This is a XL and a LT:

And of course a guy who never looks at a map or takes suggestions:

Just going to say you must be very,very,careful around Camels who are in heat.... :shifty: :eek: :eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just kiding,just kidding.LOL.
ImageImageImage

Keeping it real.
Gary
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby Mr_Bowtie » December 5th 2009, 4:06am

A Asstro with a bathroom.......seems kind of wierd..... :lol:
'96 Astro AWD 206K miles!
31" tires LIFTED 4" total with tires! SOLD! :(
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Nick
Year: 1996
Extra Info: Lifted AWD