Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

gas dripping from van

922 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  97cargocrawler 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 2002 Safari Lt AWD.... finding out some issues.. today, I filled the tank and when I got home, parked in the slightly downhill driveway. Noticed it was steady dripping gas! So I pulled it up to the top where it is level.. on the way up it was pouring gas on the steep part of the driveway. Its on level ground and not dripping. What could possibly be going on?
Another issue is the ABS and brake light are coming on intermittently. I am taking kids out to farms starting next monday and do not want to be driving a potentially dangerous car! Any ideas out there?

#2 ·
Can you tell what part of the van it's leaking FROM? Look at the obvious and easy to see/reach spots first.

FUEL FILTER - Under the van, driver's side, under the driver's seat

FUEL LINES - Running forward and rearward from that filter.

GAS CAP - Present? Tight? Tank overfilled and therefore leaking through the cap or overflow tube?

Lump

#3 ·
Park the truck where it is leaking fuel. Then look under the truck and see where it is coming from.

It sounds like you possibly have a hole in the fuel tank, if it is only leaking on a slope.

Fuel tanks are not that expensive if it needs to be replaced. I wouldn't worry about the ABS light,

but may be concerned if the Brake warning light isn't illuminating as a collateral of the ABS problem.

If they illuminate together, they are more than likely related. Most of us drive w/o the ABS system

with no problems. In fact there are circumstances that make the ABS system undesireable. Plain

old standard brakes for me anytime and all the time.

Uncle Bob

PS You may not want to use the truck when it is leaking fuel, as it can affect the emission system.

#5 ·
both my vans have had leaks from the top of the gas tank where the plastic gas line meets the metal line , i fixed it by using a small pipe cutter and pushing a gas rubber hose over the plastic part with collars to wherever the metal line was still good , i know there is a companie that makes an oem like replacement buts its bout 100 $ , the way i did it is much cheaper .

#6 ·
Assuming the brakes feel normal and the reservoir is full you may have the loose relay (broken solder) problem in the ABS control box.

The fuel could be leaking from the top of the tank if the fuel pump was installed incorrectly and the snap ring or retainer ring has come off. This happened to my neighbor a week after replacing his fuel pump in a Blazer.

I would definitely not drive anyone around until the source of the fuel problem is fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.