Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Astro or safari

14K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  gavio 
#1 ·
What is the difference between astro and safari and if there is a difference then which one is better? Also do window problems reoccur a lot,meaning the motor going bad or faulty switches. I asked this because I frequently see the question about the windows not going up all the way or stopping and etc constantly asked.

#3 ·
Hi ihsaan
I believe it's just features. They have the same features, but each have their own package
for a set price. I was told by the dealer I bought my Safari from that they had a couple of new vans
come with one side with safari emblems and the other side Astro emblems on the same van.

As for the window problems. The newer ones seem to be a bit better than the older style ones I feel.
The new style changed in 1996. I haven't had much problems with mine except the windows themselves
getting a bit stiff to roll up. I lubricated the inside of the glass frame where the window travels on, and
that made it a lot easier on the electric motors (less labor). I haven't replaced any of mine yet.
I just make sure the window rails are well lubricated to prevent excess drag on the motors themselves.

Hope this helps. :)

#6 ·
Hi ihsaan
Sorry for the delay just got back into town. I have used WD40 and Lithium.
The WD40 is good and gets into the small areas and you don't have to worry about it
getting on any electrical components because it's non conducting. The Lithium is
a bit thicker and does stay on the parts longer. I wouldn't want anything to much
thicker than that for lubrication on those components because that will drag the
motor down as well (especially in cold weather). Lithium would be my suggestion
as long as your careful not to get it on any electrical components, It has a
tendency to conduct. Hope this helps. :)

#11 ·
That thing where GMC's seem more luxurious is proof that GM's marketing dept. is earning it's keep.... Far as I've been able to determine, the only differences between Astro and Safari are grill and front lighting, badges, and wheels in later models - plus GMC trim levels are labeled differently..... The rest is skillful marketing....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.