Couple ? on a conversion hightop

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Big_kid 
#1 ·
I've attached a few images of the type van I'm interested in

1.are the roofs known to leak?

2.can a six foot person actually lay down on the rear bed
w/out body parts hanging over?

3.what are the diemensions of the TV area?
Like whats the biggest TV I can fit in this area?
In the attached image I'll probablley ditch the VCR and install a small PC. The The bigger TV will cover the VCR hole.

4.how much weight doe's the hightop add to the weight og the Astro?

5. how is the rear seat folded down into a bed electricalley or manually?

6.do the HT vans have AC 120V power outlets?

7. I plan to remove the second row of seats and have a small 3" refrigerator
Will there be enough room under the rear bed to have a couple of batterys and a power device (DC/AC inverter) for the refrigerator and have a couple of 120V AC outlets?

8.is this inbetween the seats console part of the Astro HT or is this aftermarket?
Thanks TB

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey TB, I saw your other post where you were having trouble with attachments. After the "upload, browse and add the file dance". Don't forget to hit Place inline.

After hitting Place inline you should see this in the text box.[attachment]AltarBillies.png[/attachment]
Your picture file name should be where AltarBillies.png is.
Hit Preview to double check
And you should see your picture.
AltarBillies.png

#4 ·
Lumpy said:
Thebrain said:
I'm in Stevie Wonder mode.
Lump
:rofl:

You need to link into Thebrain to see them.

My body parts are always hanging off the side.

With so many different types, makes and models of conversion vans how can we possibly answer these questions without an example photo? Pix please!

#6 ·
1- Not that I've heard

2-You'll probably have to try it out to see. I don't see that happening in my van, but I've never tried to sleep on mine either. I'm also not 6' tall.

3- That will vary from one van upfitter to the next. Bring a tape measure with you, and compare with the dimensions of whatever you'd like to install in the space.

4- I'm not sure, but fiberglass is pretty light. Putting it up high though will have an effect on the van's center of gravity. Take it for a test drive to see if you can live with it. I'd recommend running LT tires with stiffer sidewalls. Astro vans don't like car tires, they get spongy.

5- Depends on what was installed. Mine is manual, many if not most are electric.

6- No clue, sorry!

7-Depends on the batteries and the bed height. (you do know that a DC fridge will kill a battery quickly, right? Might want to look at a 2 or 3 way fridge)

8- Probably aftermarket, I didn't see any pics in the post.

#7 ·
the one I just sold was a Starcraft. the bed is probably not big enough for you to not hang over, mine was electric and there is very little room under the bed not enough for the batteries. the middle seats come out easy. the roof ... only adds about 10 inches over stock height. the TV area was about 14x14 inches I was gonna remove TV and VCR and install a DVD player with screen but didn't. there are two other compartments both are approx 4x12 but fairly deep. Console may have been part of the package but I doubt it. Mine did have many charging ports in it but they were all AC not house current. no Idea on the weight of the top. Hope this helps. Mark

#8 ·
My 00 high top is an explorer. The tv area is approx 14x14. The rear bed is power, I cannot sleep on it comfortably being 6ft2, and there is not room under the bed for batteries. Middle seats are easily removable. There is no power converter in my van

#9 ·
Couple more ?s on the high top I attach images of a 2K explorer

However I have sean some nice looking 95 and older HTs.
1.are there two black AC vents and speakers on each side of the TV?

the explorer's sofa appears to be slitley larger on the seat section than a ordinary car seat.
2.do the 95 and older models have the same size sofa as the 96 and newer models?

3.would like to know the diemensions of the unfolded sofa? I had a sleeper sofa in the den years ago and when it was unfolded and you lay down on it there was a metal bar that would stick in you'r back was kindof uncomfortable is the explorers sofa have a simiairl bar?

4.the sofa's power switch has a forward back and up and down switch doe's the sofa have to be moved forward then down to unfold?

I'm thinking me being 6' either the feet or the head won't be surported

5. what do you Guy's do like add a elevated piece to either feet or head like a cooler the same height?

6. anyone w/ 2 batterys inside the van?
maybe the sofa can be raised a little to make room for batteries.

last alternative would be a hole in the floor and weld in a battery box (I've sean that here on this site).

7.as far as the TV diemensions are I would like to use a 27" TV 26"widex16.5 hieght I would'nt mind if it covered one of the storage compartments.

maybe there are foldable brakets that can tilt up the bottom (when not in use) to reduce the hieght?

8.how much will a 6' man have to bend over from standing straight up in the HT vans?
Thanks TB

Attachments

#10 ·
Big_kid said:
Thebrain said:

In the attached image I'll probablley ditch the VCR and install a small PC. The The bigger TV will cover the VCR hole.

Will there be enough room under the rear bed to have a couple of batterys and a power device (DC/AC inverter) for the refrigerator and have a couple of 120V AC outlets?

8.is this inbetween the seats console part of the Astro HT or is this aftermarket?
Thanks TB
7-Depends on the batteries and the bed height. (you do know that a DC fridge will kill a battery quickly, right? Might want to look at a 2 or 3 way fridge)

I saw a Y tube video Guy had a van said small frig. would stay cold for 48 hours in 80 degree outside air temp. and 72 hours if cooler OAT w/ two batteries.

are you suggesting a RV type frig. w. propane/120v AC/ and 12V DC?

also I see on class B (van type RVs) the wall behind the fridge is vented to outside air can I get away w/ just opening a window to vent?
Thanks STB

#12 ·
Thebrain said:
Big_kid said:
Thebrain said:

Thanks TB

I saw a Y tube video Guy had a van said small frig. would stay cold for 48 hours in 80 degree outside air temp. and 72 hours if cooler OAT w/ two batteries.

are you suggesting a RV type frig. w. propane/120v AC/ and 12V DC?

also I see on class B (van type RVs) the wall behind the fridge is vented to outside air can I get away w/ just opening a window to vent?
Thanks STB
actually I was planning on a regular household AC type fridge. how well will the AC fridge work w/ a deep cycle battery (separate from the alternaters charging)
maybe use a small solar panel to replenish the deep cycle bat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.