yellow spark from coil

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

yellow spark from coil

Postby paintdrying [OP] » November 11th 2010, 6:04pm

Just bought a 2000 astro and it seems to have trouble starting, after the morning start everything is fine, pullled the coil wire and the spark was strong but yellow, would not start with ether. Going to buy a plug right now to check spark at the wire. Probably should replace the coil? Any links to check the resistance.
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
Original Poster [OP]
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 3 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 3 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 94
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 108 000

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: yellow spark from coil

Postby Big_kid » November 11th 2010, 6:27pm

I'd check supply voltage going into the coil (and on the battery too) before spending the money on a new coil. Even the best coil can only work with what it's given. If supply is low, output will be weak.

I'm sure someone will have the ohms per foot for you before too long. I'd post it if I had it.

Welcome aboard!
:chevy:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 5 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 5 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 5 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 5 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 73
Extra Info: 2WD conversion

Postby paintdrying [OP] » November 11th 2010, 9:04pm

wow parts are NOT cheap like they once were. A coil is 40 dollars. The ac delco plugs were 6.50 each. So I went outside, it is close to 60 degrees today and after not starting this morning it fired right up. First try. It was maybe 40 degrees this morning.
I Got my hand in under the hood and went to unplugging different sensors when it would not start, trying to put it into limp mode, but still would not start. I also checked coil spark again when it was running and it is still yellow(golden). I always remember coil spark being deep blue. Maybe that has changed as well.
Would anyone think the coolant temperature sensor could be doing this? Or that air temp sensor. What if I go out tomorrow morning with a heat gun and go to heating up the computer and what not, see if it helps?
Does anyone know where these sensors are, that sensor by the thermostat looked pretty big, is that the collant temp sensor?
Original Poster [OP]
paintdrying
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 3 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 3 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 3 full years

Postby Mr_Bowtie » November 11th 2010, 10:05pm

Coil spark should be blue. I would start with replacing the coil and then see what you got. You might be able to get away without needing new plugs. I buy the AC Delco basic plugs & I thought they were like $2.50? :confused:
'96 Astro AWD 206K miles!
31" tires LIFTED 4" total with tires! SOLD! :(
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Nick
Year: 1996
Extra Info: Lifted AWD

Postby RECox286 » November 11th 2010, 11:18pm

The sensor in question by the T-stat is the one that provides information to the PCM. The gage gets info from the sensor located between spark plugs #3 and #5.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 3 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 3 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Phantom » November 11th 2010, 11:57pm

There are several things that can cause a no start situation, sounds like you have a weak coil , but it should at least idle . You say that it fired up on first try , did you drive it then? how soon after this first try did it not start? Some things that get overlooked that can cause this condition is a weak/bad crankshaft sensor and ignition module , you may need to get a diagnostic scan to find the source of problem , you may have more than one component needing replaced.
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 3 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 3 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 15

Postby paintdrying [OP] » November 12th 2010, 12:51am

Thanks guys,
Great response, I been on silverado forums in the past and could never really find good info.
Phanthom : The no start is basically first thing in the morning, although the other morning it was cold and it fired right up. So today around 9 am I tried it, no start, tried ether, no start. So then around one in the after noon I touch the key and it fired right up, so like 4 hours later after the first no start. I then drove it for about 20 minutes, it ran flawlessly. It is now sitting in my drive, I have a feeling it may start but won't try again till morning. When you say a scan, you mean at a mechanic, or pull codes at autozone? Crankshaft sensor, Iwas wondering about that as well.
Original Poster [OP]
paintdrying

Postby Lumpy » November 12th 2010, 1:22am

Always test the cup holder first. If that's within specs,
here's how to check the coil -

1.Using an ohmmeter (on the high scale), connect the probes between the primary (low voltage) terminal and coil ground; the reading should be very high or infinity, if not, replace the coil.

2.Using an ohmmeter (on the low scale), connect the probes between both primary (low voltage) terminals; the reading should be very low or zero, if not, replace the coil.

3.Using an ohmmeter (on the high scale), connect the probes between a primary (low voltage) terminal and the secondary (high voltage) terminal; the reading should be high (not infinite), if not, replace the coil.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 125
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 9 in. lift Camo

Postby RECox286 » November 12th 2010, 2:33am

Don't forget to check out the Cupholder first though.

Do a battery stress test to see if it is healthy enough to do a cold start. May be you have a good voltage reading, but not enough amps. Coils like voltage, but need amps to go blue.

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 3 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 3 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 3 full years

Postby paintdrying [OP] » November 12th 2010, 3:21am

the cup holders are filled with screws, old lottery tickets and some sort of strange wire connectors, all of which came with the truck. I will get to cleaning those in the morning. I have a near new battery I can put in there. I will try and check the coil tomorrow. I will post back
Original Poster [OP]
paintdrying

Postby RECox286 » November 12th 2010, 3:51am

In that case I would check the lottery tickets, and forget about the spark. You may be able to get a newer truck.

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Phantom » November 12th 2010, 5:35am

paintdrying wrote:Thanks guys,
Great response, I been on silverado forums in the past and could never really find good info.
Phanthom : The no start is basically first thing in the morning, although the other morning it was cold and it fired right up. So today around 9 am I tried it, no start, tried ether, no start. So then around one in the after noon I touch the key and it fired right up, so like 4 hours later after the first no start. I then drove it for about 20 minutes, it ran flawlessly. It is now sitting in my drive, I have a feeling it may start but won't try again till morning. When you say a scan, you mean at a mechanic, or pull codes at autozone? Crankshaft sensor, Iwas wondering about that as well.

Preferably using a scan tool that reads voltages and sensors , it will be better at pinpointing where the problem is, Code reader is good for free at Autozone. Crankshaft sensors go bad and they can act up in a like condition as yours , sometimes you get a code and sometimes they fail without a code . Basically they are a magnet that reads the turns of the crankshaft , usually held in place by one bolt at the front of engine by the crank pulley.
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 3 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 3 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 15

Postby paintdrying [OP] » November 15th 2010, 12:39am

small update, went out this morning and no start, checked spark, still yellow, it was a little dark out so I hooked the coil wire back up and and saw yellow sparks shooting out of the coil close to where the plug wire connects. That was good enough for me, went and bought a new borg weiner coil at advanced. Got home remounted the new coil back on the old bracket hooked all the wires back up, now no spark. No spark from the coil.
Ah, so I grab the old coil and plug the wire back in, now I have spark from the old coil. So I know I am getting power to the coil. My first thought is, ignition coil. Called up the parts store and the ignition module is 80 dollars and they claim not to be able to test the old one.
I will get in there tomorrow and check for power with a test light at coil and module. Also checking the ohms on the new coil.
1. Did I possibly get a bad coil?
2 can the crankposition sensor be checked with a ohm meter?
3. does a coil or ignition module require a body ground to work or avoid damage.

almost forgot but I put a new battery in and cleaned the cables real good. The battery was from my silverado that someone totalled, but it is still good
Original Poster [OP]
paintdrying

Postby astroturf » November 15th 2010, 12:53am

I would say you got a new defective coil.

Others will chime in.

Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 112
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby paintdrying [OP] » November 15th 2010, 9:28pm

new coil was bad, So I put a different new one in. It started right up. Lets hope that was the problem. i would like to get the plugs out and at least see what they look like.
Original Poster [OP]
paintdrying

Postby astroturf » November 15th 2010, 9:38pm

Well that is good to hear.

I would be curious of the spark color change... From yellow to?

Thanks, Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full years

Postby paintdrying [OP] » November 16th 2010, 4:31am

no the spark is still yellow, but stronger than with the old coil. Not really sure what to think about that.
Original Poster [OP]
paintdrying

Postby paintdrying [OP] » November 16th 2010, 11:46pm

started right up this morning then seemed to run better. When the motor was cold it would hesitate now, with the new coil the hesitate is gone when cold.
Original Poster [OP]
paintdrying

Postby astroturf » November 17th 2010, 12:32am

That is Good News PD.

Congrats, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces