Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Removing rusted fuel filter

12K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  RECox286 
#1 ·
I can not get the nuts to budge on the fuel filter, anyone have any tips or do I have to cut the lines?

98 astrovan

thanks

#2 ·
For the next few days I want you to go out and spray the nuts with pb blaster. Maybe once or twice a day. Is the problem that the nuts will not move? I usally only cut the lines when the line itself is stuck to the nut, causing the line to just twist when the nut is turned.
advanced auto now sells a line repair kit for around 13 dollars that comes with new line, coupler, and o rings. It is a little tricky if your new at this, post back if you want to cut the lines and I will give you step by step.
Oh, also try and tighten the nut to get it to break free

#3 ·
Hey Binder, (good name for the problem)

Rusty fittings at the F/F... Ah, yes I remember it well.

First of all, you will be under the truck, fooling with a volatile liquid, so before we start, make sure to relieve the fuel pressure, and have some rags on hand in case of spills. Be very careful to use as nonsparking tools and techniques.

Ok, Cut the Filter in two. Work on 1/2 of the problem at a time. Most likely the nuts are rusted to the steel pipe where they connect to the filter. Make sure to use flare nut wrenches on the nuts, other wise you may round the nut, rendering it useless for reattaching a new filter. It wouldn't hurt to use a non sparking wire brush, or plumbers' cloth (preferred) to clean up the pipe near the nut. Once the pipe is pretty clean, a squirt of PB would be a good idea. Hold the nut stationary with a flare nut wrench, while trying to unwind the filter half. If you are sucessful, then use plumbers cloth to clean up the pipe under where the nut sits when the filter is in place. I like to use an antiseize compound, being careful to not get it in the O-ring seal.

If the pipe is too rusted to resurect, then get thee to the JY for newer hose assys.

I had one that defied me at every step, but age and persistance won in the end. So don't give up hope.

Bob

#5 ·
To cut a fuel filter in half, I suppose that you will need to stat out with an icepick, an awl, or some sort of very strong sharp instrument that can pierce a hole in the filter to drain out any fuel and then let the residual evaporate. Then you can go around it with a manual hook type can opener or a pair of tin snips.

#6 ·
OK, I left the "cut in half" to everyones imagination. Surely one would not think to grind it in half with a whizzer. I did mine with a hacksaw (very carefully) I suppose you could find other such sharp objects in the tool box, but I went the easy way. It is possible that a suitably sized pipe cutter would work just as well. I did mention the pitfalls of smoking near a leaky fuel line, did I not ?

Bob

#7 ·
Bob,

I'll leave it here.The only way a cutting tool works is friction.Which is heat.

If you tubing cutter the fuel line and it is a CPI,all you need to do is use fuel injection type of rubber hose for a splice(high pressure type is different that regular fuel line) and a double the kind of clamps that have a center screw that applies pressure all around the splice.Then barred connectors on each side of the fuel filter to slide the rubber splice onto.

#8 ·
I"m sorry, I thought the whole point was to try to save the plumbing, not make some non stock repair. My mistake.

Bob

#10 ·
I did soak it in liquid wrench and will try again today.

How wrong is it to just cut the pipes, put on some rubber fuel line and make do without a fuel filter?

But I would if possible like to keep all the plumbing.

Cutting it is not a bad idea either?

#11 ·
How wrong is it to just cut the pipes, put on some rubber fuel line and make do without a fuel filter?
Very wrong. :nono:

What you are suggesting is a good way to get home if you needed to do an emergency repair but it isn't something that you want to do as a permanent fix. If something got into your filter that caused it to not function, think about what would happen if it wasn't there.

#13 ·
Making sure the rubber hose is identically matched to the fuel pressure of your system is important, TBI injection is 9 -14 psi ,,MPI , SFI and Gen 2 vans fuel pressure is near 60 psi , so the hose has to be rated to at least 60psi , most rubber hose it not rated that high and will burst spewing fuel if it cannot handle the pressure buildup, and can cause a fire, Short term Emergency use only

#14 ·
Those compression couplings work just fine. I personally would stay away from the rubber lines, but they might be just fine. My last chevy truck had this same problem and rock auto wanted like 100 dollars for all the factory lines, I used brake line and compression fittings because the connections were behind the tank and I never wanted to have to replace a rubber hose. There is a big difference between pb blaster and liquid wrench. I would use brake fluid before liquid wrench

#15 ·
In the end the C/T retro fit had to do? Pipes twisted and had to be cut. Tow types of fuel line as mentioned at the C/T one for high pressure, they also had an identical filter that had compression fittings instead of threaded nut fittings.

Van is idling much better, oil gauge is steady ( the dropping oil pressure at stop lights was my first clue something was wrong and then the stalling happened soon afterward) and did not stall on the test run. Oil gauge stays steady , so will check the fittings in a week and hope it is OK?

#16 ·
Phantom said:
Making sure the rubber hose is identically matched to the fuel pressure of your system is important, TBI injection is 9 -14 psi ,,MPI , SFI and Gen 2 vans fuel pressure is near 60 psi , so the hose has to be rated to at least 60psi , most rubber hose it not rated that high and will burst spewing fuel if it cannot handle the pressure buildup, and can cause a fire, Short term Emergency use only
Please read the post as stated.Fuel injection rubber hose is suggested and clamps rated to do the work.I found that at a NAPA store.

#17 ·
Gary said:
Phantom said:
Please read the post as stated.Fuel injection rubber hose is suggested and clamps rated to do the work.I found that at a NAPA store.
Please read post as stated ,,there are 2 different types of fuel injection systems Throttle Body injection , and Multi Port , Sequential fuel Injection which have different fuel pressure ratings
Why is you cannot handle someone agreeing with things , just saying it differently???

#18 ·
I just had a thought.When info is posted already and you know that,move on to new suggestions.Mainly because that part of the topic has been covered already. :doh: :doh:

Least most of the forums I post to and have posted on operate that way. :banghead: :banghead: Gezzzzz.

Please accept the fact this is all one big family and we all might contribute one part of the puzzle to a repair.Really no need to repeat the same thing over again.

No ego's from here mind ya.Just contributing my part of the puzzle.

Hey-the peace maker hand stretched out to you:

Have a very Happy Thanksgiven.

Gar

#19 ·
If the pipes twisted, then I hope you consider what ever you did to be a temporary fix until you can get the proper plumbing to make a permanent fix.

No egos hurt here, so not to worry. (1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, ahhhhh!) Glad things are working better for you. But please fix it properly. Like Gary and I said: Fool ain't nothing to fuel with.

Bob

#20 ·
Gary said:
I just had a thought.When info is posted already and you know that,move on to new suggestions.Mainly because that part of the topic has been covered already.
Gar
Gary sometimes more detail is needed , and it may be provided , sometimes posters are new to fixing autos and don't realize all the possibilities , so that it may be helpful to provide more detail rather than presume someone is familiar with all that is necessary . Example I went to the auto parts store and bought several items , I asked the counter person to get them for me , I ask for some power steering return line and after I got in my car and opened the bag to verify the contents I found that the counter person had given me heater hose instead of power steering hose, he didn't notice the difference. I have noticed that there has been times when I gave an answer to a threads question and there came more posters who came afterward and gave nearly the same answer only worded differently , It does not bother me at all and as a family we should all be welcomed\encouraged to have a say , promoting togetherness and not making it a competition to see who can answer first in order to offer an answer.
Happy Thanksgiving

#21 ·
Quoted:I have noticed that there has been times when I gave an answer to a threads question and there came more posters who came afterward and gave nearly the same answer only worded differently , It does not bother me at all and as a family we should all be welcomed\encouraged to have a say , promoting togetherness and not making it a competition to see who can answer first in order to offer an answer.

Poppy Cock.Blastfamily I say.Your not making it a competition you say??. :poke: :poke:

Well someone call Obama and ask him for a pardon for two more turkeys. :banghead: :rofl: :rofl:

#22 ·
Gary said:
Quoted:I have noticed that there has been times when I gave an answer to a threads question and there came more posters who came afterward and gave nearly the same answer only worded differently , It does not bother me at all and as a family we should all be welcomed\encouraged to have a say , promoting togetherness and not making it a competition to see who can answer first in order to offer an answer.

Poppy Cock.Blastfamily I say.Your not making it a competition you say??. :poke: :poke:

Well someone call Obama and ask him for a pardon for two more turkeys. :banghead: :rofl: :rofl:
Well gobble gobble you speak , you talk turkey better than anyone here, Blast family you say?

Ok then , I have been reading your posts for months now , and you consistently show a lack of ability to be humble , to merely see yourself as just one of the gang , just another poster , NO you are compelled to shine the stage light on yourself , You feel a need to cry out for recognition to present yourself as a cut above other posters , To share the limelight is something you simply cannot understand or consider doing, you can't simply share knowledge and then pass the baton , no you have to be a 1 man team , you can't pass the ball and let someone else score , you said your ego was not bruised , well if that were true you would not have made your last post,,

You say Blast Family ?, Your ideas should be to realize that this is a public forum , not your private property and not your turf to make the rules. Why do you present yourself to be so insecure that you cannot simply allow others to express a point , You make it a competition by feeling the need to come after people to express how YOU answered a question and you feel the need to be controlling and try to tell others what to do ,

Why is it so hard for you to just share info and then just kick back and let others do the same??????? Why do you need to be so controlling???? You might as well just give it up and stop posting to me , cause the only thing you are accomplishing is for me to think less of you

#23 ·
Well you read a month of my posts??.Learn anything??. :lol: :lol:

Spin it anyway you like...............I did answer the question and did so completely.

It's the TEACHER <me> trying to show how to handle these threads and promote communize respect for each other.Let's say you answer a question in a thread first and cover that aspect of the question and I read that.I don't out of respect of you repost the same thing in my own words.By doing that,it does bring in the question of a who's who and who is trying to gain attention to themselfs.Don't you see that??. :think:

For me I see guys all the time of posts that I don't say anything because ,well they where right and I don't have anything to add.......

It is general the same guys too.If anything I say I agree with them to boost what they have posted.

Now I don't care about being number one.If the way I post or what I say shows the yrs and yrs I have been at this,then it is who I am.Period.I'll be dammed if I will dumbing up just to be "liked". :lips:

#26 ·
My two scents:

To tell you the truth, if it were up to me to engineer where exactly the fool filter should have been located, it certainly would have been else where. Some place less visited by road dirt, water, mud, and the like.
The fuel and brake piping is too exposed, as most of you well know, because there are enough posts dealing with the corrosion factor that plague these systems.
Neither the fuel filter itself, nor the type of connection used lend themselves to easy maintenance over the many miles and years these trucks endure.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.