Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Need some Guru advise-Low Idle/AC issue kinda....2004 Astro

3K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  WimpTech 
#1 ·
Thanks for any help in advance.
I didn't know where to post this since I feel it's a multi problem issue, so I will start from a few weeks ago....
It was rainy here on Long Island for a few weeks,and the Astro was hesitating to start. Last time I had this problem, I changed the cap and rotor, and she started right up with no hesitation. The same thing started happening, so I changed the cap and rotor again(about a year old) and she started right up..... So first off, what would cause the cap and rotor to go bad after just about a year?????
It started getting hot here in NY, so I turned on my AC last week, and no air from the vents....No problem, I knew where to look, and found a vacuum hose off the 3 way thingy...LOL with a big fan made hole in it. Changed the hose, and air blowing like mad... Needless to say, the entire AC system was completely removed and replaced with OEM system, clutch, condenser, all plumbing etc...less than a year ago. But the AC was blowing warm. Last year when it was first done by the shop, it was like a freezer.... I brought it to the shop that replaced the system, and they wanted me to make an appointment, and leave it...No can do, since it's my work van, and I need it ...
Since fixing the vac hose, the Idle dropped, and she wants to stall. Running very low rpm, and always feels like it wants to stall at lights etc.
I disconnected the battery to reset the ECM thinking, maybe the computer was compensating for the Vac leak.
Still running rough, low idle, and no cold air...... :crying:
Can anyone be of any help trying to diagnose and fix these issues.
The poor old girl has 210K, and I am about 1 step away from selling her. But she has always been good to me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

See less See more
#27 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. I took off the air hood, and checked the MAF. Both the filter and MAF look like new.
I'm starting to think distributor since I burned out a cap and rotor in less than a year.
I will see if I can get someone with a real scanner to check it out to avoid having to keep taking this thing apart.... LOL
The ac is once again like an icebox after the recharge... So I am happy about that. I just don't want to get stuck... :(

#28 ·
SteveVHT said:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I took off the air hood, and checked the MAF. Both the filter and MAF look like new.
I'm starting to think distributor since I burned out a cap and rotor in less than a year.
I will see if I can get someone with a real scanner to check it out to avoid having to keep taking this thing apart.... LOL
The ac is once again like an icebox after the recharge... So I am happy about that. I just don't want to get stuck... :(
Great news Steve! If it starts to go warm again, toss in a can with UV trace and start searching with a black light.

Regarding a scanner, save yourself a TON of trouble and cash and invest in a bluetooth OBD!! interface and load up Torque on your phone/ tablet. The whole setup will run you about $20 and will tell you everything you need to know, like Codes, MAF rate, O2 curves, you name it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.