Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Interior dye

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  nonhog 
#1 ·
Anyone dyed interior pieces? My Burgundy dash and a few other items were stained with a bleach solution. I know I will get it scratched and dirty going out and about but it drives me nuts looking at it. I want to stay the same color so if it wears off it wont be too bad.
Long shot but thought I would ask.

#2 ·
I have used spray paint with pretty good results in several cars. Its cheap and easy, holds up well and is easy to touch up if you need to. And I have flocked all of my race cars dashes. Flocking is a pretty good solution because it lasts a long time, relatively inexpensive, looks great and it cuts down on glare coming from the dash that is being reflected by the window. And it seems like these astros have bad glare as it is. Unless its covered in dust like ours! I have some left over from the last dash I did and have been playing around with the idea of doing ours.

With all of that said, I have not used dye before.

#6 ·
I've used products from Leather World Tech with good results:

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Leather-Vinyl-Coatings-s/1842.htm

You can send them a sample of what you have and they will exactly match the color and gloss.... Their product is water based and you can brush it on so it's handy for repairing small areas... I used their stuff to redye my interior from greige to black and burgundy.... It's a more expensive route than what you find at the LAPS (maybe $30), but the repairs will blend well...

Similar products are also available from Classic Dye Products (product OK but customer service kinda crappy) and Leatherique (more expensive)....

#7 ·
As a motorcycle road racer, I spend a lot of time fixing and repairing my leathers after 100mph crashes. I have tried most of the products listed so far.

The one I swear by is colorbond seat stylin. You can get it at summit racing dot com.

I have used it on leathers and on plastic race boots. After a proper application, you can not damage it with a set of car keys even if you try to gouge it. It looks like the stuff was always that color. In short it is miles better than dupli color or any other "dye" or coloring. You can change your steering wheel, seats, door panels, dash, etc.

I have raced whole seasons on the colorbonded boots and where my heels hit the bikes paint, the bike paint wore through but the boots looked perfect.

So obviously my vote is for colorbond seat stylin.

#8 ·
You may also bring a peice of trim to your local home depot or anywhere they have a digital scanner , it will come out exactly like the original color , ask for a small sample its like 5$ , if happy apply with a spray gun or dollar store foam bruches and or roller , all oem interior paints are water based anyway .

#9 ·
smokinjoe said:
As a motorcycle road racer, I spend a lot of time fixing and repairing my leathers after 100mph crashes. I have tried most of the products listed so far.

The one I swear by is colorbond seat stylin. You can get it at summit racing dot com.

I have used it on leathers and on plastic race boots. After a proper application, you can not damage it with a set of car keys even if you try to gouge it. It looks like the stuff was always that color. In short it is miles better than dupli color or any other "dye" or coloring. You can change your steering wheel, seats, door panels, dash, etc.

I have raced whole seasons on the colorbonded boots and where my heels hit the bikes paint, the bike paint wore through but the boots looked perfect.

So obviously my vote is for colorbond seat stylin.
I am believer you are right. I looked at summit took a screenshot. I am going to get some to check out for the next project I need it on. I remember you mentioning it a long time ago. But couldn't remember what the name was. Thanks for putting in your :2: worth in here and refreshing my memory.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the tips. My buddy in Georgia used Leatherique in his 2 restored Volvos and it came out amazing. I am not really restoring this van, I just want better.
I sprayed the burgundy Duplicolor on last night and am happy with how it looks. Unfortunately its not a match but I knew that going in.
Might try it on the areas the carpet is stained. It'll be a camping/hiking rig so its bound to get beat up, and perfect like my friends Volvo would just make me anxious.
Now how do I fix the cracked arm rests? Learned yesterday the Astro cargo van does not use the same arm rest. LOL Not even close. :lol:

#11 ·
Easy... Duct tape!
Paul (SRDragon) cut it out of the panel, filled in holes with foam and recovered in black vinyl. There are "replacement" pads on eBay, but these are horrible color matches and not a 'bolt-in' replacement since they were not designed to be removable.. so expect some 'Engineering' to be involved either way you go.

#12 ·
Wimpazz said:
Easy... Duct tape!
Paul (SRDragon) cut it out of the panel, filled in holes with foam and recovered in black vinyl. There are "replacement" pads on eBay, but these are horrible color matches and not a 'bolt-in' replacement since they were not designed to be removable.. so expect some 'Engineering' to be involved either way you go.
I will continue to search for the SRDragon fix. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.