Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Accelerator / throttle cable replacement.

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  tonywylder 
#1 ·
The throttle cable in my 95 Safari is fraying on the throttle body side (at least, could be even worse than what I can see). Right now the stickiness is just annoying, but it could result in something downright dangerous. It requires replacement.

OE GM part number 15713092 has been discontinued and I can't find new/leftover stock anywhere, not online nor with any of my local dealers.

Does anyone have the brand and part number of a matching direct replacement? Autozone, RockAuto, etc sell universal cables but I want something as close to "factory" as possible.

#6 ·
Triple said:
Gladly, if I knew which one was a match.
Google is your friend, see if the ends match, match the length.
throttle_cable.jpg

Then look at the part numbers, for example ATP Y-265 accelerator cable, check out their website like http://atpautomotive.com/accelerator-cable-y-265 which gives you info like 70inches in length, and a part interchange or something:
Original Equipment (OE) Part Interchange
GENERAL MOTORS: 368013
GENERAL MOTORS: 1248090
GENERAL MOTORS: 1248091
GENERAL MOTORS: 1248092
GENERAL MOTORS: 15551489
GENERAL MOTORS: 15551490
GENERAL MOTORS: 15557348
GENERAL MOTORS: 15588293
GENERAL MOTORS: 15604992
GENERAL MOTORS: 15613400
If you don't like that one, continue on with
Pioneer CA-8499 from autozone or whereever.
Note:Above example is for Gen1, probably TBI.

Those may not be exact, and sometimes it will show something doesn't fit because it's in two pieces on your year and in 1 piece for another year. But check them out, esp with dealing with a 95(the red headed step child of the A/S family), you really have to watch what fits and what doesn't.

Go to LAPS, and look at ones for a 94, and ones for a 96, compare to yours.

95-astro-safari-red-headed-stepchild.jpg

#7 ·
It is the same engine as a 94 w vin. They do sell the cable for that. Now the tricky part I can't help you with. Take the old one out and compare to it. Engine end is the same. Now is the gas pedal end.

This is where you take yours to a junk yard or take a picture of both ends and go and just look at other models. S-10 full sized trucks other year astros. GM parts giant and summit have them for the trucks and other year astros. A search hint from a fellow safari owner. Just look up astro. For what ever reason it will get more hits.

#8 ·
Just as everyone said - The Junkyard can be your Real Friend Here. Especially the ones in "The Network"
( upullandsave.com ) - they have a great Cross - Ref that is nationwide and it will tell about what they have as well as other part numbers you can look up at Stealerships.

Good Luck

Mike

#9 ·
AstroWill said:
Then look at the part numbers, for example ATP Y-265 accelerator cable, check out their website like http://atpautomotive.com/accelerator-cable-y-265 which gives you info like 70inches in length, and a part interchange or something...
Suggestions appreciated, but this is the sort of thing I was trying to avoid by making this thread. I was hoping someone else had already done the same thing and would have the brand and part number ready so I could order the part(s) and continue driving the van.

Looks like I may have no choice to but to yank it out before ordering the new one, unfortunately.

#10 ·
Completely understand. However, if you figure out who makes an aftermarket one that fits and post it in this thread, you will have saved the next guy the trouble.

#11 ·
As the little irritating problems pile up with this old thing, the more ready I become to park it, drop the cradle, and get started on that smallblock swap...

May even have a line on a cheap 4BT Cummins... haven't seen anyone try that in an Astro yet, wondering if a store-bought body lift would create enough clearance...

#12 ·
Triple said:
As the little irritating problems pile up with this old thing, the more ready I become to park it, drop the cradle, and get started on that smallblock swap...
Might as well, I mean, you have to replace the throttle cable anyway ;)

Triple said:
May even have a line on a cheap 4BT Cummins... haven't seen anyone try that in an Astro yet, wondering if a store-bought body lift would create enough clearance...
It has been done before, at least a couple of them. I would piece together your own lift kit, all of the specs/parts are here and you would save a bunch of money. Can put that money towards your engine.

#14 ·
AstroWill said:
Triple said:
It has been done before, at least a couple of them.
Any chance you can link them here or tell me where to find them? Google hasn't turned up any actual Cummins swaps, just guys like me contemplating the possibility. I'd love to see a finished conversion. I've seen the 6.5L and someone did an Isuzu diesel swap, but I've yet to find one with a Cummins.

I already have a 6BT Cummins, but I'm saving it for a Suburban or possibly a motorhome... don't really want to "waste" that much motor on a little Safari van. But I might get that 4BT as part of a package deal on a 6.2L Suburban (which I believe has the Sidewinder turbo set-up), which would give me the option of trying either one. May also get a Suburban with the standard TBI 350, and of course there are low-mileage 5.3L pull-outs all over the place for cheap.

All of the above sound soooo much more fun than this ratty old 4.3L...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.