Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

FOUND MY PASSENGER SIDE RATTLE!!!

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  sixsix 
#1 ·
Let's just say first... I have been living with this obnoxious annoying little rattle for most of this year! The first time I heard it I was going on a long trip... and actually pulled over because I thought something was loose outside! I thought I must have disturbed or forgotten something while preparing for my trip. I didn't find the problem.

The rattle seemed to get worse over time. I thought it could be something loose in the suspension... so I checked shocks, ball-joints, and control arms, all the usual stuff. It was a real minor rattle you'd expect from a worn shock bushing (or similar) .. but was not the case.

I went as far as checking the custom body lift mods, but found nothing. Rattle continued.

I finally ruled out suspension or lift when I finally barely heard the rattle while idling... and not moving.

I then assumed it must be something that had either worked itself into the fender and was possibly laying and rattling against the interior wall... or it could be something inside the vents... or a problem with the climate doors inside the A/C system. It was definitely coming from the passenger side, seemingly higher up like it was in the dash.

Not a heavy rattle... but just light enough to be annoying... and always there! Never on hard bumps... just the gentle ones.

Well, this week I decided to realign the hood release latch, so I didn't have to hit the hood with my hand for it to lift and open. This was simple, and was something I wish I had done a long time ago. A simple adjustment and now the hood pops open easily and perfectly!

Well, while I was hitting the hood... I finally re-created the rattle! I hit around a few more times... and found it rattled strongest in front PS corner by hood and fender.

Turns out... it was the passenger-side hood hinge!!!

While there, I found a bolt missing from one of the hinge points, but turns out this was not the issue. It was a slight looseness in the hood hinge pin itself, which had gotten a little sloppy with age. I can't say if the missing bolt would have helped, but since it was stripped off and still in the hole, I needed another simple and easy fix.

I layed a piece of rubber heater hose in the fender valley to add pressure to the hood arm when closed, and low and behold... the rattle is gone! I wound up putting a piece of hose on both sides, just to preemptively firm things up on the other side too! The hose piece will easily stay in place... and solved my issue.

Rubber hose fix!!
Rattle gone!
Happy camper!!!

Just thought I'd share.... :mrgreen:

20161125_150521_001.jpg

See less See more
#4 ·
:rockon:
markmitch said:
thats great to find the annoying noise and to fix it, On our Aveo there is a kind of plastic ticking noise that started recently but I only hear it when I don't have the stereo on. I will figure it out eventually.
I figured it out, Mark.......LEAVE THE STEREO ON!! :rockon:
-M!KE-

#5 ·
Aw man you shoulda just posted up on here. I would've told you that was it. On my 95 it was the drivers side. Drove me nuts for a week til I found it and drove a wood wedge into the gap to solve it.

Had a similar issue on my 02 but it was only at highway speeds. Turned out the tread on the running board was lifting and rattling.

Its always something.

#6 ·
My 92 hood hinge rattles dramatically only with hood up (due to radical idle of my V8)... but no issues down. My 2000 rattles while down (but no longer). I wonder if there was supposed to be some sort of nylon bushing in there or something? I will be fitting mine with them soon.

I once had a full size van with a squeak in the sliding door that drove me crazy for years! I did everything to try to track it down, with no luck. I assumed it was either inside the door, or the door latches. Turns out it was the decorative metal trim cover over the outside sliding door arm.

#8 ·
Mmusicman said:
I wonder if there was supposed to be some sort of nylon bushing in there or something? I will be fitting mine with them soon.
From your picture it appears that your missing the hood seal (Part Number: 15714411).
It sits on the top of the firewall between the hinges to support the back of the hood like you did with the rubber hose.

#9 ·
MI_Ghost said:
Mmusicman said:
I wonder if there was supposed to be some sort of nylon bushing in there or something? I will be fitting mine with them soon.
From your picture it appears that your missing the hood seal (Part Number: 15714411).
It sits on the top of the firewall between the hinges to support the back of the hood like you did with the rubber hose.
Since you mentioned it. I went and got a picture of it.

P_20161130_141532.jpg

#11 ·
MI_Ghost said:
chevymaher said:
Since you mentioned it. I went and got a picture of it.
You guys beat me to it - I had these that I took last year when finishing the Grill, Front End and Under Hood Improvements:

628 Cleaned and Freshened up Hood Seals with Silicone.

629 Passenger side Hood Seal installed.

741 Front End all done - Just showing off a bit...

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.