Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

94 heater core change

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  fast68 
#1 ·
How hard is this to do? Is there a write up on this? A friend gave me a heater core that new had left over from his van, and mines needs flushed so i was just gonna replace it instead since i have a brand new one. Btw its the front heater core on a no rear air van.

#3 ·
i did it on my 90 safari, it took about 30 minutes. remove the glove box, remove the black cover near the passenger's footwell, unbolt the heater core, remove the hoses and pull out the heater core. then reverse the process. the bigger problem is getting the air pocket out of the heater core.

#5 ·
I have found that when the cooling system is drained or taken apart in this case, air tends to get trapped in the heater core because its the highest part of the cooling system.

#8 ·
make sure heater control valve isnt stuck, under hoods in heater hose

or blend door isnt stuck or broken, inside heater box under dash

both will cause low or no heat

when engine is hot are both core hoses same temp, both hot?

if not then core is plugged or valve is stuck shut

if are both hot then core is not plugged and valve is not stuck shut

door in box stuck or control panel not changing positions, check vacuum source from engine to control panel assembly, black small hose line

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.