What have you done to/with your van today?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Re: What have you done to/with your van today?

Postby Lee in Mountain View » February 8th 2017, 3:14am

Thank you sir!!
My Tow Vehicle!
Lee in Mountain View
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Topics: 5
Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby 1lowcab » February 8th 2017, 3:42am

No problem.

I almost did red but I wanted to replicate the dash colors of my old 2000 gti 1.8t, it had that awesome blue color to it.

The fun part was figuring out the rest of the bulbs, they are in the mail and on the way. I'll post up some pics and part numbers once I get it all done.
2003 Astro AWD G80
1lowcab
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 25
Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD G80

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! » February 8th 2017, 5:11am

Randy - check Amazon. You should have a local warehouse so you can get it in 1-2 days, tops.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 27
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » February 8th 2017, 11:54am

Leeann_93 wrote:Randy - check Amazon. You should have a local warehouse so you can get it in 1-2 days, tops.

Thanks I was on it. There is one they say online at the autozone. But their online selection lies sometimes. I am calling this morning. It isn't a A/C Delco but this isn't a critical part that will mess with the computer.

I found one for less than 20 bucks with express shipping on amazon. That is a A/C Delco which I prefer if available. If ordered in 17 hours as of 10 last night. I can get it thurs it says. So I will call and if they don't have it right now. I ordering that one.

Hopefully this one makes it that long. So I guess put a jumper wire in the van for just in case till it is replaced. Or I could drive the truck till then.

EDIT: I just ordered the A/C Delco from amazon. It wont kill me to drive the truck a day and it isn't snowing. I paid the express shipping and it should be here tomorrow.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 82
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! » February 8th 2017, 2:01pm

Awesome. Sometimes you've just gotta wait for the right part.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full years

Postby sixsix » February 8th 2017, 3:04pm

Leeann_93 wrote:Awesome. Sometimes you've just gotta wait for the right part.

OK, I give up - Randy, did you order a Temp Sender or Sensor? It's the one that talks to the ECM?
Your ECM in the Pass. side kick Panel like the 92?

I try to pay attention when something is wrong with "The Road Warrior".
Good Luck with the new ACDelco Goodie. Or is it Goody? Whatever - PICS or it never happened...LOL

Mike
The Van's Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=59385

There are 3 types of people in this world - First, the type that can count
and Second, the type that can't.

sixsix
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 2 full yearssixsix has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W-CPI Motor 200K

Postby ccookie66 » February 8th 2017, 3:20pm

chevymaher wrote:It wont kill me to drive the truck a day and it isn't snowing. I paid the express shipping and it should be here tomorrow.

Ohhhh you should've seen me last night in the snowstorm in my van. Being the first RWD vehicle I have ever own, not to mention having summer tires, I was kicking the rear end out sideways at every corner, stop sign, straight away, you name it! Oh I was having a blast! :auto-swerve: I don't know if it's the weight or what, but it never quite got stuck. If I stopped on a hill or something it would spin for about 10 seconds, and just when I thought I was stuck it took off! Lol I can never go back to FWD again.
ImageImage
The Astro is always a turn key away from adventure.
ccookie66
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ccookie66 has been a member for 5 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 5 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 5 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 5 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 133
Alias (AKA): Cameron
Year: 1992
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 TBI Shorty

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » February 8th 2017, 10:43pm

ccookie66 wrote:
chevymaher wrote:It wont kill me to drive the truck a day and it isn't snowing. I paid the express shipping and it should be here tomorrow.

Ohhhh you should've seen me last night in the snowstorm in my van. Being the first RWD vehicle I have ever own, not to mention having summer tires, I was kicking the rear end out sideways at every corner, stop sign, straight away, you name it! Oh I was having a blast! :auto-swerve: I don't know if it's the weight or what, but it never quite got stuck. If I stopped on a hill or something it would spin for about 10 seconds, and just when I thought I was stuck it took off! Lol I can never go back to FWD again.

And now you understand why I like RWD or at a minimum 4WD on all my vehicles
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years

Postby 1lowcab » February 9th 2017, 8:38pm

Just got the leds in the mail so time to get to work!

Got the rear heat, rear ac and rear wiper done.

Heres the leds I used, 3mm in blue with resisters

Test, very bright!

Heres the fist ones to be replaced

Crushed the old bulbs to free up the wires

leds soldered in place, its a tight fit but they do fit

And all lit up

Dash is still apart in that last pic as I'm still waiting on the other leds to arrive in the mail.

More to come!!
2003 Astro AWD G80
1lowcab

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » February 10th 2017, 2:12am

New relay came. As in the other thread. Nice A/C Delco box. Inside another box. Relay was exactly the same but made in china stamped on it.

Shook it. It made a clicking sound. Shook the old one no sound. Tried it with no relay no start. Just feeding my curiosity was it what I thought it was. Plugged in the relay fired right up. Turned it off and restarted several times. Same as it always was.

So I took a hack saw and cut the old one open. It was never oil filled. That slop must have been old and burning Die electric grease from the factory combined with rust/corrosion.

Contacts looked reasonable for a zillion year old part. Some burning not as much as i expected. The issue seemed to be it was getting hot real hot. The arm the contact was on was purple discolored from heat. And it was partially jammed not swinging freely anymore.

So synopsis from data gathered. Arm was not working correctly anymore. It was arcing and causing a massive heat build up. Boiled its grease. Contact arm warped and wasn't making good contact further exacerbating the problem when it was hot.
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! » February 10th 2017, 3:36am

Cool beans. Glad the new relay arrived so quickly and that it really was the issue.

And thanks for cutting open the old one - that stuff's pretty interesting.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » February 10th 2017, 4:29am

Leeann_93 wrote:Cool beans. Glad the new relay arrived so quickly and that it really was the issue.

And thanks for cutting open the old one - that stuff's pretty interesting.

Thanks.

My buddy clowns me for doing that. He says it is killing you isn't it not to know. Just junk it and be done with it.

If I pull a motor and replace it. And I been the one messing with it over the years and know the motor. I will completely disassemble it and inspect everything before I scrap it. It sharpens your mech skills. If I hear that same noise or death rattle as I call them in the future. There is no doubt in my mind what is going on inside.

I do enjoy my work. It is a learning experience over time. Same problems just different junk doing it and different noises the parts make.

I just drove her to get wife from school. It did make a difference. It was running smoother on take off from a stop. So it obviously wasn't getting full voltage to the pump before.
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby AstroWill » February 10th 2017, 4:38am

Speaking of pictures, where are they Randy?
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 60
Alias (AKA): Richard C., Advocatus Diaboli
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » February 10th 2017, 4:41am

AstroWill wrote:Speaking of pictures, where are they Randy?

LOL I can get some tomorrow if you need them. It is all in little pieces now. Phone connection was getting worse today wasn't it. Last time it would even call back, the subscriber you are trying to reach routine.
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » February 10th 2017, 4:51am

I forgot I did take one of the plug side of the relay and the nasty.

nasty.jpg
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby AstroWill » February 10th 2017, 4:55am

Yea it was extra bad today, freaking phones/networks.
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 60
Alias (AKA): Richard C., Advocatus Diaboli
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby 1lowcab » February 10th 2017, 9:05pm

More leds arrived today.

I followed Silverbullets map light install.

I used the T-10 8-SMD Xenon White LED for this

Side by side comparo old vs new

Trim the outer edge so it will fit into the lens, don't hit the circuit board!

Nice fit

Before

After

And installed, that is just the 2 little map lights! (please ignore the mess)

More leds coming soon.....
2003 Astro AWD G80
1lowcab

Postby srdragonusa » February 11th 2017, 9:29pm

Nice I was playing with my Map lights as well. I just need to get the LEDs now. Did you post a Link?

Do you think these will work? Ecosin Fashion 10PC T10 194 168 W5W COB 8 SMD LED CANBUS Silica Bright White License Light Bulb from Amazon

http://a.co/faz74N3
P@ul AKA SR Dragon
2003 AWD Astro
1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro4X (wife's)
srdragonusa
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Paul
Extra Info: AWD

Postby 1lowcab » February 12th 2017, 2:11am

Those may work, I'd just be worried they would be too wide to fit in the holder. The holder is pretty tight and there doesn't look to be anything to trim on those.

Here are the ones I used
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-Xenon-White-T10-LED-8-SMD-Side-Wedge-Instrument-Light-Bulb-W5W-194-168-/291143770891?hash=item43c985630b:g:QfoAAOxy2CZTbcEc&vxp=mtr

Hmm, link doesn't work.

Here is the title
10X Xenon White T10 LED 8-SMD Side Wedge Instrument Light Bulb W5W 194 168
Just paste that into ebay, its item number 291143770891. $4.99 + free ship for 10 of them.

You will love them, post up some pics when you get them in!
2003 Astro AWD G80
1lowcab

Postby 1lowcab » February 12th 2017, 3:04am

I got the these for the dome lights

VERY bright!

and i got the dash finished up

Now I just have the door switches to do.
2003 Astro AWD G80
1lowcab

PreviousNext