found a parts vehicle

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

found a parts vehicle

Postby markmitch [OP] » February 13th 2017, 5:03pm

I was talking to someone on facebook and found a 89 GMC truck I can take parts from. The truck was running and driving and the transfer went bad so her husband took the transfer out to rebuild it and he passed away before it got finished. I have no info on the truck yet but should no more by tomorrow afternoon. I will take pictures when I get to the truck. I am hoping its a V8 so I can get the Y pipe.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 440
Alias (AKA): Astro gearhead
Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS 350 TBI

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: found a parts vehicle

Postby markmitch [OP] » February 14th 2017, 2:34am

OK so here are the pictures of the truck I can scavenge for free. It is a 1989 GMC 2500 4x4 truck with a 350 TBI engine 700R4 trans. The truck has tilt steering which is great cause mine is messed up so I will take the truck column and pull the parts to repair mine. The truck has 200+ thousand miles so if the engine turns over by hand I will eventually rebuild it with vortec heads and drop her in my van then sell the stock 350 from my van. I will start with the Y pipe and the steering column then work on the engine prep to pull.
Attachments
truck 017.jpg
truck 018.jpg
truck 019.jpg
truck 020.jpg
truck 022.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full years

Postby MI_Ghost » February 14th 2017, 7:47am

Mark
Can you get a measurement of the steering knuckle for me. Top to bottom ball joint. Outside to outside.
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
MI_Ghost
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby 97cargocrawler » February 14th 2017, 5:33pm

You may want to grab the rear axle.

Actually I'd take the entire front drive assembly too for anyone who wanted to do a serious upgrade to their AWD system.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L5)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): CC, CARGO, CRAWLER, ASSHOLE
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby markmitch [OP] » February 14th 2017, 5:57pm

the front axle assembly s gone everything else is there from what I have seen so far. the rear axle would be a problem since its sitting on kind of a hill and the jackstands are sinking. I will add a few more stands till I am done though, I like living. lol Yes I can measure but not sure how to.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby markmitch [OP] » February 15th 2017, 3:28am

Well it took me over 2 hours to get the truck back up on the jack stands using a few jacks and jack stands and a huge section of wood beam that is 8 inches thick by 18 inches wide and 2 feet long. I have two of these chunks of beam just for such occasions. Anyway the bolts that hold the Y pipe in place are rusted and since I do not wish to break them I gave up till next trip there in which I will brings some PB blaster. The steering column I totally forgot to put the tools for that in the tool bag so I started unbolting the brackets and TBI and such since I plan on yanking the engine for a rebuilder. I will leave the heads and intake behind since I will be going vortec.I will post a few more pictures later this week. Thanks for reading, Mark
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby MI_Ghost » February 15th 2017, 3:35am

Just stretch a tape measure from top to bottom. Absolute accuracy is not required.
~Ghost
MI_Ghost

Postby markmitch [OP] » February 15th 2017, 7:40am

The steering knuckle? is that the placed where the steering column connects to the rest of the steering? like if I were to want to remove the steering column there is a bolt that holds the upper shaft to the lower assembly? I won't be going back for a few days we are getting more rain Thursday and tomorrow I have a doctors appointment.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby MI_Ghost » February 15th 2017, 10:13am

No. The part that the front brake rotor is hanging off of. It is the same as the spindle between the upper and lower control arms. You can see it in the front wheel well in the first pic.

The term steering knuckle might be confusing you. When the spindle which the brake rotor and bearings are mounted on is removable as in the 4WD. It is commonly called a knuckle.
~Ghost
MI_Ghost

Postby markmitch [OP] » April 22nd 2017, 3:18am

sorry I have been real busy I will go back to the truck monday or tuesday and I will leave a note to measure the part you asked about Ghost. Anyway I got the engine out today.
Attachments
IMG_1802.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby MI_Ghost » April 22nd 2017, 3:50am

markmitch wrote:I will go back to the truck monday or tuesday and I will leave a note to measure the part you asked about Ghost.

No need Mark.
I found out the info I was looking for.
Thanks though.
~Ghost
MI_Ghost