Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Low beam headlight replacement:how to

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Astrofarian 
#1 ·
I didn't find too many write ups on here about replacing the headlight bulbs so I figured I'd write up something quick with pictures for the novice who might need help. My Haines Manual only showed replacement for gen1 vans, which mine is not (2000 Astro AWD), so unless you have a different Haines or original service manual then you might be out of luck. So here we go. It is all very simple and easy but could be intimidating to a beginner (which was me not too long ago). :thumbup:

I will put a warning at the beginning rather than the end, and that is to make sure that you do everything you can to not touch the bulbs themselves of anything you replace or want to keep :naughty: (obviously bad bulbs can be trashed). Oils, grease, dirt can cause uneven heating of the bulb when it is on and potentially shatter the glass.

Step 1: Pop the hood and prop it up with the support and make sure all electrical systems are turned off.

Step 2: You will need a 10mm socket either deep or shallow with an extension or both. I have this nifty gimbal ratchet that I like to use for projects like this because I can turn it fast and these types of applications never require great torque and they fit in places that ratchet handles get in the way of.

IMG_1374.JPG

Step 3: Locate the black headlight panel on the front of the vehicle. It is directly above and behind the headlight assembly. There should be two screws holding it in place. Remove them

IMG_1375.JPG

Step 4: Look to the outside edge of the headlight assembly and you will see a screw that is holding in the side reflector. Remove this screw. Then the reflector will pull out very easily. Mine have retainer nubs on the bottom so i had to lift up then out.

IMG_1376.JPG

Step 5: Once the reflector is pulled out look where that was and you will see another screw behind where the reflector once was. Remove this.

IMG_1377.JPG

Step 6: Now all four of the retaining screws are out and the assembly is free to be removed. Slide the assembly slightly to the outside of the vehicle to pull out the tab and then you can pull it out towards you. You might not have to pull it all the way out but I did in order to have enough room to work with the bulbs.

IMG_1378.JPG

Step 7: The high beams run on the inner sides of the assembly and the low beams run on the outer sides of assembly. Because my wires are short I had to remove the high beam bulbs in order to pull the assembly out far enough to remove the low beam (which is what was burned out).

IMG_1379.JPG

Step 8: Remove the bulb from the assembly. The bulbs twist about 60 degrees and then pull out. Once they have been pulled out the old light bulb needs to be unclipped from the harness. Once the old are out the new can be placed in and everything get's put back together in reverse order of how it came apart. :banana: Remember, don't touch the glass! :driving:

IMG_1380.JPG

If anyone is curious my high beams are Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 9005 and my low beams which I just replaced are Phillips Xtreme Vision 9006. I really like how the sylvania have performed, it offers a good width of light and a good depth of light. Very pleased. I've had the phillips in other vehicles and liked them so I figured I'd throw them in here if I could. :rockon:

IMG_1381.JPG

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.