What have you done with your other vehicles today.

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Re: What have you done with your other vehicles today.

Postby redfury » March 20th 2017, 5:45am

I'm getting ready to install a double DIN navigation unit from Pioneer into the wifes Explorer Sport Trac...but I'm seeing that I have to tap into the VSS and the gear selector wiring for the rear camera ( which I haven't picked up yet, suggestions for a decent rear camera appreciated ). Not going to be as simple as connecting into the harness plug adapter and slapping into the dash....
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby icebrrg3rd » March 20th 2017, 9:03pm

Did the water pump on the Sebring. Comparing it to the Astro (which I did the previous weekend, a 10 minute job) this was a long weekend job. It is the infamous Chrysler 2.7L V-6. The w/p is buried inside the engine, and is part of the timing. Oh, it's a chain, not a belt. So if the seals go, it dumps coolant into the oil, and you fry your bearings and lock up your motor. Luckily, mine failed but leaked thru the weep holes, which just dump the coolant out of the engine.

To get at the w/p you need to remove the intake, C.O.P., valve covers, belts, pulley, timing cover, and move the p/s pump mount, along with other misc stuff that is in the way. You also need a special Chrysler pulley puller. Oh, and they changed the design several different ways over the years, so you can't order stuff until you know what is inside yours.

2017-03-18_LeftCamSprocketRemoved.jpg

2017-03-19_WaterPumpInstalled.jpg

Oh, and it's an interference engine, get it wrong and you have bent valves and/or busted pistons. Yay.

But for a car with 188k miles, I think it was the original w/p. So I don't have to worry about it for another 180k miles...

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 67k mi
83 Yamaha Venture 1300cc 92k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5.0L 5-speed, Ford 9" 250k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 189k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 134k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 43
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby nosxjeep » March 20th 2017, 9:50pm

Mocked up the new motor on my white URB-E:
file.jpg
nosxjeep
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): NoS
Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD 3+1 30s

Postby The Drummer » March 20th 2017, 9:52pm

Red i dont see why you d have to tap into the vss and such , to give the cam juice you tap into a back up light , to activate the rear view on the unit usualy you tap into the back up light but in the front fuse box and bingo your golden . as for the back up cam the lisence plate one from pyle works great , at least i know that one works good , go wireless .
Please send all your money to the : Ben Dover fondation for poor drummers , we will take care of it better than you would ; Image
The Drummer
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 16
Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » March 20th 2017, 10:43pm

icebrrg3rd wrote:Did the water pump on the Sebring. Comparing it to the Astro (which I did the previous weekend, a 10 minute job) this was a long weekend job. It is the infamous Chrysler 2.7L V-6. The w/p is buried inside the engine, and is part of the timing. Oh, it's a chain, not a belt. So if the seals go, it dumps coolant into the oil, and you fry your bearings and lock up your motor. Luckily, mine failed but leaked thru the weep holes, which just dump the coolant out of the engine.

To get at the w/p you need to remove the intake, C.O.P., valve covers, belts, pulley, timing cover, and move the p/s pump mount, along with other misc stuff that is in the way. You also need a special Chrysler pulley puller. Oh, and they changed the design several different ways over the years, so you can't order stuff until you know what is inside yours.

2017-03-18_LeftCamSprocketRemoved.jpg

2017-03-19_WaterPumpInstalled.jpg

Oh, and it's an interference engine, get it wrong and you have bent valves and/or busted pistons. Yay.

But for a car with 188k miles, I think it was the original w/p. So I don't have to worry about it for another 180k miles...

-Andrew

That was the job I was dreading on my coworker's Sebring. Then she traded it in so I could breathe freely.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 27
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby sixsix » March 21st 2017, 1:09am

X 4 ^ ^ ^ ^ That - WOW - OMG !!!

... now where's that bit ...??

Mike

ps: looks like 2 Sides / DOHCs - WOW - an "Internal" Water Pump.
. . . Again - WOW - BRAVE
The Van's Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=59385

"Though the hippopotamus has no sting, the wise man would prefer to be sat upon by the bee."
- Banacek

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 3 full yearssixsix has been a member for 3 full yearssixsix has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 21
Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W-CPI Motor 200K

Postby icebrrg3rd » March 21st 2017, 5:45pm

Leeann_93 wrote:
icebrrg3rd wrote:Did the water pump on the Sebring...

-Andrew

That was the job I was dreading on my coworker's Sebring. Then she traded it in so I could breathe freely.

It was a job that I knew I'd eventually would have to do. Luckily I got the service manual from the PO so that helped a ton.

sixsix wrote:X 4 ^ ^ ^ ^ That - WOW - OMG !!!

... now where's that bit ...??

Mike

ps: looks like 2 Sides / DOHCs - WOW - an "Internal" Water Pump.
. . . Again - WOW - BRAVE

Maybe less brave, more a combination of naïve gung-ho and pure cheapness mixed with a lot of luck. I think it's the most advanced engine I've worked on. DOHC, COP, FI, etc. Most vehicles I've worked on have had push rods & distributors, much simpler.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 67k mi
83 Yamaha Venture 1300cc 92k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5.0L 5-speed, Ford 9" 250k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 189k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 134k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 43
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby AstroWill » March 21st 2017, 9:26pm

WoodButcher wrote:Another thought, this weekend I ran out of gas and wire at almost the same time.
I tossed on a roll of flux core w/ no gas and was shocked at how bad it was.
Never again.

Did you change the polarity?
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 67
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » March 21st 2017, 10:36pm

icebrrg3rd wrote:Maybe less brave, more a combination of naïve gung-ho and pure cheapness mixed with a lot of luck. I think it's the most advanced engine I've worked on. DOHC, COP, FI, etc. Most vehicles I've worked on have had push rods & distributors, much simpler.

-Andrew

Even the damn air filter on that thing is a nightmare.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full years

Postby WoodButcher » March 22nd 2017, 2:06am

AstroWill wrote:
WoodButcher wrote:Another thought, this weekend I ran out of gas and wire at almost the same time.
Never again.

What?
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

Postby AstroWill » March 22nd 2017, 7:14am

WoodButcher wrote:
AstroWill wrote:
Never again.

What?

From Miller's website, and it's in my manual as well...
https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/a ... mild-steel
millerwelds.com wrote:Flux-cored welding requires DC electrode negative, or straight polarity. The polarity connections are usually found on the inside of the machine near the drive rolls.

https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/a ... mild-steel
millerwelds.com wrote:MIG welding requires DC electrode positive, or reverse polarity. The polarity connections are usually found on the inside of the machine.
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years

Postby WoodButcher » March 22nd 2017, 12:33pm

Thanks Will, maybe I'll hang onto those rolls of flux core after all.

I probably switched them when I did the gas conversion a few years ago and never gave it a second thought.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years

Postby AstroWill » March 22nd 2017, 2:09pm

:handgestures-thumbupright: Worth holding onto for a few reasons, if you need deeper penetration, have to work outside, or with some dirtier metal.
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Leeann_93 » March 22nd 2017, 10:01pm

For the third day in a row, I hauled home 4 bags of all-purpose stones. Looks like I get to make it 4 in a row...

IMG_2359.JPG

That's actually the neighbor's property, technically - ours ends at the edge of the driveway. But that's where we turn around.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby sixsix » March 23rd 2017, 12:13pm

Nice Stones, Leeann.

Mike
The Van's Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=59385

"Though the hippopotamus has no sting, the wise man would prefer to be sat upon by the bee."
- Banacek

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 3 full yearssixsix has been a member for 3 full yearssixsix has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 21
Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W-CPI Motor 200K

Postby chevymaher [OP] » March 25th 2017, 11:13am

I have been doing like I said I was. Cleaning and buffing the turd. Pressure washed the cockpit and bow covers. Defunked the interior some. Seems mildew is a issue with boats seeing as how the hold always has water in it.

Pressure washed the trailer and boat. Now sitting and color sanding and buffing. I got one side done now. and put some boat wax on it. Ardex ocean polymer is what it is called. So I been sitting in the mud in the yard getting real sore sanding and buffing in all kinds of un natural positions. I can see a coat of hot rod black in this trailers future as well.

Soon I start assembling the jigsaw puzzle I got. Putting the motor back in and making sure eveything works as it should. It came with a nice stereo. Sony reciever and a big kenwood amp. It was missing the faceplate to the stereo. I got lucky and found one on Flea Bay for 15 bucks.

Today I taking the van to harbor freight and getting some buffer pads and more rubbing compound. My buddy who was in the wreck that almost killed him 3X. Finally is out of the hospital. He isn't allowed to drive yet. But he can go places supervised now. He can't fall it literally would kill him. He has to have some one to help if he starts fading and stumbling. So it is his first trip out since he got home. He going with me.

So I am excited my buddy is on the mend. And we get to go do something for the first time since that clown T Boned him.

P_20170323_132211.jpg

P_20170324_154552.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 84
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Big_kid » March 25th 2017, 1:23pm

The boat is looking good, glad your buddy is on the mend. I didn't know he'd been hurt.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 9 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 9 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 9 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 9 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 9 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 9 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 9 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 9 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 142
Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD conversion

Postby WoodButcher » March 25th 2017, 4:49pm

What we take for granted like a trip to the store can mean a great deal to someone who can't get out at will.

Nice job on the boat CM.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby chevymaher [OP] » March 25th 2017, 9:11pm

WoodButcher wrote:What we take for granted like a trip to the store can mean a great deal to someone who can't get out at will.

Nice job on the boat CM.

Yea we had a good time. We went to home depot and got a toilet valve for him and I put it in. He said he was so happy to get out and just do something "He wanted to do." He came over and checked out the boat. That is his favorite color. It is the same color as the furd and his motorcycle.

And thanks for the compliment. I did get the other side sanded but not buffed. Because I was out lollygagging with my buddy. It supposed to rain tomorrow so I wont get to then either. I know I am making a mud pit out there walking around working.

Just sanding it made a huge difference.

boat compare.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 84
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Leeann_93 » March 28th 2017, 12:44am

Got it.

So it's not for me, it's for my stepdaughter. One owner - my best friend's husband. 2000 Honda Accord LX ULEV 2.3 4cyl. 241,000 miles, but tranny was replaced at 180k. A rust bubble on the hood, some rust passenger side front. I'll take care of that. Driver's side light housing is foggy but I have a kit to unfog it some. Passenger side was replaced last year.

SRS light is on; have to figure that out. My Actron Uscan does SRS codes.

I have 4 tires on the way from TireRack. Belt (original), plugs and oil filters from RockAuto. I need to do brakes all the way around, probably change the trans fluid too. Front bumper cover was replaced last year and the shop didn't give him back the front license plate holder (no front plates in MI), so I need to grab one. Then just the normal vacuum and shampoo.

There's a tire inflator, jumper cable set, some oil, etc in the trunk. I have a toolkit here to throw in the trunk for her.

IMG_2368.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

I think she's going to be really happy with it - much happier than with my old '93 Tercel 4spd manual. It sits higher, is a 4dr, has automatic tranny, cruise control, power steering, power locks and windows, lots better traction...
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader

PreviousNext