Rurgundy - Safari camp rig

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: Rurgundy - Safari camp rig

Postby nonhog [OP] » February 27th 2017, 9:00pm

Mo pics!
Attachments
PART_1488224214823.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20170226_162224.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20170226_161848.jpg
Recovering hoarder
Original Poster [OP]
nonhog
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Topics: 11
Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • My 94 Safari saved from the scrapper
    by Colorado Tim » December 12th 2016, 7:33am in Projects/Builds
    26 Replies
    Last post by Colorado Tim View the latest post
    December 17th 2016, 4:57am
  • OVERLANDING with an AWD Safari van?
    by LAZ 1 » October 13th 2016, 9:50pm in Projects/Builds
    42 Replies
    Last post by TurnNburn View the latest post
    December 21st 2016, 6:41pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 25th 2017, 8:48am

Postby 1lowcab » February 27th 2017, 10:53pm

Thats a nice stance

How many inches is your lift and what size tires? Lookin good :thumbup:
2003 Astro AWD G80
1lowcab
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 25
Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD G80

Postby nonhog [OP] » February 27th 2017, 11:13pm

Just 2" spacers and Airbag shackles. 235/75-15
I think about lifting it more all the time but plan on adding skid plates and seeing if its good enough, besides my wife is 5footnuthin. LOL
Recovering hoarder
Original Poster [OP]
nonhog

Postby nonhog [OP] » February 28th 2017, 6:00pm

Almost forgot, THAT SQUEAK NOISE! Arggh! Not sure yet but think its coming from the Dutch doors or the hatch? Another thing to look into. After my current steering issue.
I did look last night at the P/S fluid level, it was low, on the gauge but low. topped it off and crawled underneath w/o jacking it up and saw no leaks?
Still need to check every line and connection. The cooler lines looked dry as did the box, the best I could see. Might drive it up and down my road to see if its still acting up. No way I am driving it in rush hour traffic until I am convinced its not going to act up.
Recovering hoarder
Original Poster [OP]
nonhog

Postby sixsix » February 28th 2017, 10:34pm

nonhog wrote:.... THAT SQUEAK NOISE! Arggh! Not sure yet but think its coming from the Dutch doors or the hatch? ...

Put some easy tear scotch tape between the 3 components of the rear doors , take that "Squeaky Drive".
See which tape is torn or disturbed.

Mike

ps: old James Bond trick
The Van's Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=59385

There are 3 types of people in this world - First, the type that can count
and Second, the type that can't.

sixsix
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 2 full yearssixsix has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W-CPI Motor 200K

Postby nonhog [OP] » March 1st 2017, 5:34pm

sixsix wrote:
nonhog wrote:.... THAT SQUEAK NOISE! Arggh! Not sure yet but think its coming from the Dutch doors or the hatch? ...

Put some easy tear scotch tape between the 3 components of the rear doors , take that "Squeaky Drive".
See which tape is torn or disturbed.

Mike

ps: old James Bond trick

Good call, I figured I could get off the beaten path one day and have someone listen near the doors to help locate the noise.
Recovering hoarder
Original Poster [OP]
nonhog

Re: Rurgundy - Safari quirk rig

Postby nonhog [OP] » March 1st 2017, 6:07pm

nonhog wrote:
I slide right into the Suburban.

But that's not all.......

One mile from home heading to the stop at the end of the off ramp the steering gets real hard and the brakes soft. Did I just lose a hydroboost? I went on to the cross street and steering became normal as did the brakes. As the RPM increased so did the steering and brake assist. 3 more turns to home and they were tough but we made it. Popped the hood and saw the P/S fluid looked low.

Nothing conclusive yet, but as I have been reading up on H-B, I notice people having issues with brakes being grabby. That could explain things. (Or?)
I checked for leaks last night and found nothing, so I am hoping but not counting on it having burped an air bubble. Seemed far fetched to me that I drove back and forth to work a couple times and about 120 miles before my fender bender then another 30 to get home and it burped 2 miles from home?
I wondered if my EVO failed. Turns out I don't have one, either a replacement pump or a bypass was installed.

So with my limited knowledge I figure I have a failing pump or a failing H-B, or....... it holds the record for not letting out a burp? :shrug:
Will do the lock to lock turns while on jack stands again This time I will cycle the brakes too. Wish me luck.
Recovering hoarder
Original Poster [OP]
nonhog

Postby nonhog [OP] » March 5th 2017, 6:23am

Long day working on the van. Redid the bleed procedure per the FSM and saw a bubble or two but definitely not bubbles. Couldn't find any leaks external. Never acted up driving around the neighborhood, except the brakes were pretty grabby when I pulled back in my driveway. Hmmm? Jury is out.
Since I had it up on stands I figured I would tackle the e-brake cable relocate. Wow that sucked. Wrestled it for way too long. Cut it some more, no proud of the fab work LOL. It should work though and short of one buggered thread its together. Wasn't comfortable with the way the cable rode on the evap lines so I tossed in some protection.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_20170304_162316.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20170304_162332.jpg
Recovering hoarder
Original Poster [OP]
nonhog

Postby nonhog [OP] » March 12th 2017, 6:11am

Worked on a spare front bumper reinforcement today. The plan is to ad a temporary winch mount. Still have to figure the angle and how I will add bracing to overcome the thin gauge sheet metal. As usual I am in no rush. Ideas welcome (I have some bouncing around my head)
Attachments
winch.jpg3.jpg
winch.jpg2.jpg
winch.jpg
Recovering hoarder
Original Poster [OP]
nonhog

Postby Meterpig » March 12th 2017, 6:32am

You basically would need to make a box out of your current frame members. The front subrame itself is beefy enough to handle whatever you throw at it. The bolts holding the frame to the body are grade 10 I think. The guy with the big white astro (97 cargo crawler) did it. He graciously walked me through his build. Here is what he did:

97cargocrawler wrote:The front is welded to my OLV bumper relocation brackets mounted to stock frame holes and also ties into the dippy part in between the frame. My homebrew winch carrier also ties into all that for strength:

I then bolted up a three piece pushbar to all that.

For the rear I built a subframe, bolted to every stock threaded hole and then about 10 more I created underneath in the rails:

It was a hell of a lot of work. It holds the 120lb steel bumper (3/16" thick) and perhaps 225lbs of tire/carrier.

Meterpig
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 2 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 48
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Year: 2002
Extra Info: Not a minivan

Postby Lumpy » March 12th 2017, 3:13pm

My front bumper hitch receiver (and the winch mount) uses the same concept as CCs in that the receiver is NOT part of the bumper. It's part of the subframe which is much thicker, heavier, stronger steel, mounted much more strongly-wongly etc.

In the early stages of my designing, I tied a string on to various points on the van (bumper, subframe etc) and imagined what it would be like if we were trying to lift the van off the ground using that attachment point. It ends up being sort of like how you'd jack up the van. A jack under our bumpers would fail quickly and just twist the bumper. But jack under the LCA or crossmember or subframe and you probably feel a lot safer putting your body under the jacked up mass of steel.

My first custom bumper (not built by me) had a simple "Receiver piece welded to the front of the bumper face". It was even reinforced with some gussets welded TO THE BUMPER (not reinforced to any kind of subframe). It was beefy but there was no way it would hold anything more than a bicycle carrier or similar. I'd never try and pull or recover from a mount like that.

Separating a bumper build into subframe and outer parts is incredibly practical for the "Old Guy Working in his Garage" setting. Instead of trying to lift ONE 300 lb assembly, you can lift three 100 lb assemblies. It's been a while since I could lift 300 lbs.

Using any hitch receiver as a mounting point for a winch seems doomed to me. If you consider regular trailer hitches, a Class I hitch (beefier than our front receiver) is only rated to 2000 lbs towed weight. Our vans weigh at least twice that. Even a class III hitch is only rated to 5000-6000 lbs. Our vans weigh nearly 5000. Get them stuck in the mud or jammed in a rock crack and that weight increases, probably several times. No way I can imagine a bumper and it's OEM mounting hardware withstanding 2-3-4+ tons of stress. Not a whole lot more than that is probably what the hydraulic presses use to form the bumpers in the first place.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby nonhog [OP] » March 12th 2017, 5:06pm

Thanks guys and good points, I have/had no intentions of relying only on the bumper and its mounts for the strength needed. The bumper reinforcement is merely a shell to work within. My vision has multiple mounting points not just the bumper mounts those are obvious bumper cover supports. :thumbup:
Recovering hoarder
Original Poster [OP]
nonhog

Postby nonhog [OP] » March 20th 2017, 9:13pm

A few work commutes and a trip to my folks (50 plus each way) and no steering/braking issues. Knock on wood. :thumbup:
I have an Astro arm rest that will go in the garbage (like my cladding) if nobody wants it.
Attachments
PART_1490033339294.jpg
Recovering hoarder
Original Poster [OP]
nonhog

Previous