Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

first gen/second gen sub categories idea

31K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  sixsix 
#1 ·
I would like to see sub categories 1st gen/2nd gen if possible and I asked admin about this idea and he/she suggested I see if the other members would like to see this?
Please feel free to show your interest. Many of the things such as engine swaps and types of transmissions are not divided and may make searching harder for members and specially new members. Thanks, Markmitch

#4 ·
That is not going to be easy - Just saying....

What might be easier and I have been at fault for this in the past.

- Someone asks about xyz on their van and the next 20 responses have nothing to do with their van because it was a 93.
And most people want to carry on about their 2001 or whatever and why it does not look like the OP's stuff.

Or Vice Versus.

Even when it says in their profile or the question what they have or are dealing with.

Mike

ps: nice little compact mini-rant.

#5 ·
AstroWill said:
lol, who searches? :shrug:
I think it would just make things more complicated, esp for new members trying to choose where to post.
I tend to agree with this. Besides, I always just follow "active topics" anyway.. so it doesn't matter to me much where you post. I think there are already plenty of categories... just my $.02

Bottom line: makes no difference to me.

#6 ·
In principle, I get where you're coming from Mark, but in application, I think it would get way complicated......

FIrst, there is a lot that is shared between gen1 and gen2 vans.....

Then, there are an insane number of running changes made throughout the Astro's production run, and new vs old doesn't correspond neatly to a gen1-gen2 split.... AWD systems are one significant example that comes to mind, but there's a billion more minor things, too.....

What would we do with the poor '95s?

And what about so-called gen3s?

My thoughts....

#8 ·
gavio said:
Beat them like the red headed step children they are.

gavio said:
And what about so-called gen3s?
Shun them, and forward any good deals to my PM inbox ;)

#9 ·
Well according to wikipedia there is no gen 3 and they are divided by 1985 to 1994 is 1st gen and 95 to 2005 is 2nd gen. But how about this idea then: how about adding it to the op's signature so it show up when the person posts that way readers no which gen the op is speak of. Then if someone owns a 1st and 2nd gen they will have to let the readers know which one.

#12 ·
The term gen3 seems to just be a kind of shorthand I see folks frequently use on this forum for the 03-05 vans which have some fairly significant differences...

how about adding it to the op's signature so it show up when the person posts that way readers no which gen the op is speak of.
Seems like that's accomplished by the listing of the model year in the profile - it shows up in every post... Unless of course, the member doesn't list it, in which case it wouldn't designate a generation either....

Hmmm, and then what???????

#13 ·
Hey guys,

Seems like there's more leaning towards against the idea of creating these sub sections (as one mentioned that both gens share a lot of the same qualities). That said, what do you guys think about adding a prefix to differentiate the different generations so that might be easier to search within the section?

Let us know what you think about that and we'll go from there. Thanks!

Cheers,
Natalie

#14 ·
gavio said:

AstroWill said:
Hmmm, and then what???????
Tell them to come off the fence and decide once and for all, are they 1st gen trapped in a 2nd gen body or a 2nd gen that inwardly wants to be a 1st gen.

And if they don't decide, we shall taunt them a second time...

-Andrew

p.s. the sub-catagories we already have, are they fixed yet?

#15 ·
SUGGESTION:

Change choice options in profile "Make/Model" to "Model"

* Chevrolet/Astro
* GMC/Safari
(I think we all know who makes them)

to:
* Astro (for newbies who aren't sure)
* Astro/Gen 1
* Astro/Gen 2
* Safari (for newbies who aren't sure)
* Safari/Gen 1
* Safari/Gen 2
* Unknown/Other

Easy enough! :D

PS: Except it doesn't really deal with people who have several models..
Should be able to input more than one van

#16 ·
icebrrg3rd said:
Tell them to come off the fence and decide once and for all, are they 1st gen trapped in a 2nd gen body or a 2nd gen that inwardly wants to be a 1st gen.

And if they don't decide, we shall taunt them a second time...
Yeah, but where do they go to the Bathroom...? hmmmm...?

Mike

ps: We owned The Van 23 years and not until I came to this Forum did I know there were diff. GENs.
. . .I think the Year is sufficient - not many pay attention to it anyway.

#17 ·
sixsix said:
We owned The Van 23 years and not until I came to this Forum did I know there were diff. GENs.
. . .I think the Year is sufficient - not many pay attention to it anyway.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:

IMO it just seems redundant to me if you already have a place for the year.

It would be cool to be able to input more than one van, but where do we draw the line? I currently own 4 and looking to add a 5th. ;)

#18 ·
sixsix said:
-Andrew

^ Which sub categories are you referencing to? What are the issues in these? Can you provide links? Thanks.
--------------------
Mmusicman said:
SUGGESTION:

* Chevrolet/Astro
* GMC/Safari

to:
* Astro/Gen 1
* Astro/Gen 2
* Safari/Gen 1
* Safari/Gen 2
* Unknown/Other

^ What do others think? Do you guys agree with this?

What do you guys think of my suggestion of adding prefixes for the 1st and 2nd gens? Let us know so we can get the ball rolling on these topics. Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Natalie

#19 ·
Admin said:
Mmusicman said:
SUGGESTION:

* Chevrolet/Astro
* GMC/Safari

to:
* Astro/Gen 1
* Astro/Gen 2
* Safari/Gen 1
* Safari/Gen 2
* Unknown/Other

^ What do others think? Do you guys agree with this?

What do you guys think of my suggestion of adding prefixes for the 1st and 2nd gens? Let us know so we can get the ball rolling on these topics.
I guess if we have to have any of it I would go with MMs idea. Or, allow it to be an alphanumeric string, or just increase the size of the 'extra info' field, that way if you want to brag about 1st/2nd/3rd gen, you can do it there, or people can just put it in their signatures.

Thanks Natalie for being on top of things!

#21 ·
97cargocrawler said:
People can't even get their pix upright or use the search function and you want to add more complexity.
x2

97cargocrawler said:
What we need is an "ASK WILL" button on the homepage to save anyone from having to actually do anything (except Will).
:rofl:

#22 ·
.I think the Year is sufficient - not many pay attention to it anyway.
I agree with this..... I'm not sure I see what the advantage is to identifying vans as 1st or 2nd generation..... What exactly is it that isn't working currently? (well, other than the ineffective search function and the photos going randomly wonky)

I think mostly confusion happens in posts because many members do not fill in the information for model year in their sig, or do not identify in their posts what van they are talking about... It seems to me that adding a gen1 or gen2 identifier is still dependent on people filling in the info, and if they don't, they don't.....

#23 ·
admin said:
sixsix said:
-Andrew

^ Which sub categories are you referencing to? What are the issues in these? Can you provide links? Thanks.
--------------------
For example, if you go to the "ENGINE" category, there are two sub-categories: "Engines" (threads about the stock motor) and "V8 Swap" (threads about non-stock motors). But if you look at the V8 one, you see all the subforums that should be on other pages, like exhaust, automatic, manual, rear end, etc. And when you look at the "Active Topics", which should be Engine-related, you see ones about Camperized Astros, Sound deadening, Fuel Pump, Dutch Doors, etc. And I just picked the "ENGINES" one.

EngineSite-a.jpg

It's been like this for a while, and I thought it was brought up before.

-Andrew

#24 ·
EngineSite2.JPG

As you can see from this screen grab, my previous post, placed in General/Website Concerns, pops up in the ENGINES sub forum. Mind you, once you go into the actual sub-sub forum (like V8 Swap) it has the correct threads, so it's somewhat ok, I can get thru it.

Here is the link to the ENGINE sub-category:http://www.astrosafari.com/viewforum.php?f=12

-Andrew

#26 ·
OK - I found a good Example:

Look at the Subforums listed under "Testing Grounds", from "Shows" thru "Owners Manuals' to "Vans for Sale"
And in the "OT Forums" are quite a few threads that are not even remotely Off Topic.

Strange if nothing else... there are other examples like above - I just cannot remember where.

Mike

ps: And truthfully - if nothing changed or was added or rearranged - it would not matter to me

I am just here for the Free Samples...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.