Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Many questions, one post

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jess 
#1 ·
Hey guys got some more questions for you Astro/ Safari fanatics,
I'm about to start the serious stuff with my sleeper/surf van conversion after I get some engine work out of the way but I was hoping I could get some advice before I get going. I'm really interested in my bar doors being able to swing open 180 degrees or maybe even hugging the side like some sprinters do. I know the pin can be removed but I'm not really looking to just half *** it. Also with the back doors I was wondering if there is any way to have the windows push open like the passenger astros do with the side windows?

I found someone else's build on this website that I'm basically stealing with my own twist :) but I'm hoping that at least someone on this forum has some experience with a "shaggin wagon" and was wondering if I should put any extra support in the bed with this in mind. It's a futon that has an extension, 3/4' plywood with short 2x4 legs for support and a drawer that supports the extension. It will be supporting about 300 pounds on a good night and maybe more on a great night.

#4 ·
not sure where you are located in the world but the rear windows do come like that in some vans so if you are serious about doing something different with your rear doors then I would suggest you pick up a set of them with the windows that open and start there. Now the 300 on a good night and maybe more on a great night comment is the stuff jokes are made of. (Ever heard Larry the cable guys jokes about fat chicks lol) Good luck and as CC posted we like lots of pictures!

#6 ·
markmitch said:
not sure where you are located in the world but the rear windows do come like that in some vans so if you are serious about doing something different with your rear doors then I would suggest you pick up a set of them with the windows that open and start there. Now the 300 on a good night and maybe more on a great night comment is the stuff jokes are made of. (Ever heard Larry the cable guys jokes about fat chicks lol) Good luck and as CC posted we like lots of pictures!
I'm in Southern California, there is a local chevy junkyard near by that I'll go check out. Are astros and safaris almost the exact same vehicle if they are the same generation?

Attachments

#7 ·
This is the bed build I am trying to do. Almost everything in this van is exactly what I was looking to do! Thank you to whoevers van this is, could have saved months of research just looking at the thread it was posted on. But do you think this is sturdy enough for 2 people to sleep on?

Attachments

#8 ·
Nick said:
I'm in Southern California, there is a local chevy junkyard near by that I'll go check out. Are astros and safaris almost the exact same vehicle if they are the same generation?
Junkyards are everywhere, www.google.com Yes, they are the same vans.

#9 ·
Hey Nick, welcome to the big show!

OK, the barn doors are designed to be able to open 180 deg like you said. You don't remove a pin, you push a clip that holds the door catch (right next to the springy wire thingy). Its not hokey/ half-arsed, that is as-designed by GM, so good to go there. Did you mean something else?

Yeah, that's a good build to copy... GREAT night.. :rofl:
Based on the Joshua Trees in the back ground of your picture, I'd say its likely that you are not too far away from me, I'm just further west towards to coast.

#10 ·
this thread's hilarious.

mine has barndoors that open full 180 and rear windows that pop out. the window hardware on the back are identical to the slider window . like others have said i would think a junkyard item. just a heads up: for the barn doors, there is (at least on mine) a real tendency for them to swing closed in the wind and not stay open in the full 180. i'll often just use a long bungee cord to keep them propped but i know you said you're not trying to half-*** it :shrug: don't know if you're trying to camp out with them open wide or just open them wide for loading/unloading

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.