Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Overhead Console Question

8K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  DriveDog 
#1 ·
Quick questions for the gurus.
Just got my overhead console installed, the compass seems to be working (it seems like it has a slow reaction to direction change to me but it does change when driving) but the temp side will only display OC, does that mean open circuit or orange county or what?

I have the compass variance set to 9 which is where I'm at but nothing I do changes the OC readout.

Could the junkyard temp sensor be bad? I ohmed it and it changes readings to different temps...I'm not sure what it is supposed to read however.

HELP!
IMG_20170601_161921570.jpg

See less See more
#4 ·
Did you calibrate the compass? You need to drive in clockwise circles 3 or 4 times until the compass calibrates. Just setting the zone isn't enough.

Usually a "C" will appear in the direction indicator when you need to calibrate, but the slow response to a direction change may also indicate that calibration is needed. I'm not sure if OC means the setup is incomplete or is pointing to something incorrectly hooked up.

Make sure the temp sensor you pulled / hooked up is for the console and not the AC. There may be more than one temperature sensor out in the front area of the van.

#5 ·
I grab this sensor, the one on the center support.

I just took apart the console and ohmed out all the wiring, it all checks out good.

The 2 wires from the sensor to the console, do they keep the same colors all the way? I have one black wire and one green with black stripe at the sensor out front, I have those 2 colors on the blue connector for the console, are they the same wires?

If so they do not ohm....

#7 ·
Neither of them?

You could spend hours finding the break and repairing it, or you can just overlay a new wire from the most easily accessed known good wire, to the most easily accessed known bad wire.

*EDIT* Thanks for the wiring diagram

#9 ·
Ok, I feel like a complete idiot... the wires were disconnected at the box to the left of the fuse box.

I ohmed the wires all the way from the bumper to the firewall, followed them through the firewall, went inside and dug out the connector :roll: what a maroon!

Its the grey one, second from the left
IMG_20170601_182304016.jpg

Plugged it in and everything came alive!

#13 ·
1lowcab said:
Another question... I have 3 connectors coming out of the ceiling, the blue one, the one for the lights and this one ... what is it for? My console only has 2 plug ins.
That might be for the OEM Dome / Reading Light. Seems it had 3 wires, 1 Batt & 2 grounds.
Universal wiring harness - Generous Motors Corp. at it again...

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Mike

#21 ·
Actually, it can be used to activate your LRAD, automatic weapons systems, camera surveillance and recorder, your rotor for any beam antenna or any coffee maker, even a toaster! It can be a powerful tool, but like any other powerful device it comes with responsibility and wise application.

I think I'll just use the remote to turn on the trailer lights when returning to camp! :)

#22 ·
Just got my overhead console installed, the compass seems to be working (it seems like it has a slow reaction to direction change to me but it does change when driving) but the temp side will only display OC, does that mean open circuit or orange county or what?

I have the compass variance set to 9 which is where I'm at but nothing I do changes the OC readout.

Could the junkyard temp sensor be bad? I ohmed it and it changes readings to different temps...I'm not sure what it is supposed to read however.

HELP! Where you rplacing the console or putting it in a van that never had one. If it never had one were all the connections
View attachment 175209

HELP!
View attachment 175209
Did you install this into a van that never had a console.

#23 ·
Yes, you can add the overhead console to one that did not have it.
Make sure you get the mounting bracket & temp sensor.
The wiring harness is tucked into the roof rib.
There is a connection down by the fuse box that needs to get plugged in.

#24 ·
I installed an overhead console in my ‘05 cargo. The only wiring that was pre installed was the temp sensor connector to the convenience center. I had to grab everything else from the donor. Pretty straight forward with the install. Hardest part was getting the screws holding the floor sill out. Passenger vans might have the wiring already installed.

#25 ·
. "Ok, I feel like a complete idiot... " hey don't feel bad nobody said this would be easy....
This is all good info. I have installed an overhead in my cargo van that never had one, I'll have to go over the wiring, I have not tried to hook up the info option yet... Thanks

#26 ·
In my passenger ‘05, the wiring was all present, just taped up. Grabbed the console and bracket from my ‘02 and swapped ‘em over. Hardest part was cutting the headliner…I cut small and enlarged as needed.

#27 ·
I couldn't get the HomeLink to work with my old garage opener. I was going to spend more time on it but the opener failed after 25 years and I hear the new one won't work with the van's vintage HomeLink anyhow, so... one option would be to find a separate HomeLink receiver and wire it to the hardwired opener button circuit. Anyone tried that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.