Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Project Junkyard Dog: 03 Astro Build Thread

117K views 629 replies 45 participants last post by  BCstars 
#1 ·
I got this van about a year ago and have put a ton of work into it...even tho it looks like a junkyard dog on the outside!

It's a 2003 awd with the G80, it wasn't born with the G80, that came later but it does have Rear air, rear heat and tow package

Here she is shortly after I got her and had started working on all the small dents and dings, thats why all the multi-color paint. Got it for $1900 with 154k on it, it had been neglected during its life even tho it was a 2 owner van.

I drove it straight home and put it in the garage to fix it's neglect.
Heres the short list of what i did:

ACDelco Plugs and wires.
New ACDelco distributor, gear was worn BAD!! That fixed the check engine light.
Shocks, they were shot. Used Monroe OEspectrum, very good shocks so far.
New front sway bar with poly bushings, pass side end was broke.
Fuel filter.
ACDelco Fuel pump, pressure was low.
Fuel injection spider, pressure was leaking off. That made the van run SO much better
02 sensors, all 3.
Crank position sensor.
OEM ACDelco Motor mounts, NOT a fun job. That fixed a weird shudder it had going over bumps.
Trans mount.
U joints front + rear + the cv on the front drive shaft. And both shafts balanced.
Re-flowed the solder on the ABS module, that fixed the ABS and brakes dash lights.
And then a relearn on the Tech2.

After that I chased a vibration at 55+ mph, turned out the diff carrier bearings were pretty shot so in went the G80.

The trans had a weird, sliding,slipping shift so I looked around and found a really good deal on a low mileage trans + transfer case, both under 90k miles so I slapped them in. I also replaced the valve body with a rebuilt one with the sonnax upgrades and a corvette servo.

Then came the transfer case rebuild. fairly straight forward repair, new clutches and it was good as new.
This is what the oil in the T-case looked like, burnt clutches.

Then it was time to work on the suspension, all of the bushings on this van were pretty bad.
Mr. postman delivery. Upper/lower control arms both side, 3+1 springs and front mounts, wheel bearings, timing chain + gaskets and oil pan gasket.

I don't have many pics of the install as my hands were pretty dirty, lol.

Here are some of the control arm bushings.

And the one stuck control arm bolt that I had to cut...giant PITA!

The wheel bearings were STUCK so i took them to the napa machine shop and had them pressed out.
One housing cleaned, anti seized and ready for the bearing.

In the midst of all this I did all the tierods, center link and new Delco steering box, it had pretty loose, scary steering. I don't think it had been lubed in its life. lol

The last of the bushings on the van were on the front differential, so while I had it dropped to changed the oil pan gasket I checked/replaced them. The 2 on the drivers side looked like new, the pass side were somewhat worn.

After all that it ran and shifted like new, lots of power and quick, firm shifts.

But I was still getting some rumble noise and a crunching sound on the passenger side when going over speed bumps.
So i pulled the subframe bushings and replaced them.
They were pretty bad!

After that it goes down the road so smooth and quiet its crazy!

Then of course the lower intake manifold gaskets went! :roll:
While it was apart I replace the 2 heater control valves and coolant tank

And then I did the Efan conversion and underdrive pulley.

Just started the wiring in this pic

Those 2 mods made a HUGE improvement in performance!!

And then on to led interior conversion.

I also did the headlight switch and all the door switches in blue led.

I picked up a set of rims.

and ran them for a little while, the only pic i have of it with the rims...on street tires. :roll:

Close up of the turn signals

Rear dome light mod, So I can turn it off/on when I open the rear hatch.
Before

After

LED backup lights

Before

After

And tinted tails

Awesome decal!

And replaced the missing/rotted rear bump stops.

That pretty much brings it up to date.
I got some new door handles to put in but haven't got to it yet.

And the homebrew lift kit just came in!

Lots more to come....stay tuned!!!

See less See more
#77 ·
My original budget is a joke, now it is what it is and I am not even keeping tract
I know how you feel, what I've put into this one bringing it back from a used/abused van I probably could have bought a very low mileage, very nice, rust free California van and had it shipped to me.

Just as long as I don't tell the wife that and everything will be fine. :rofl:

#78 ·
I will do another one and that is what I will do. Cali/Nevada/Arizona/fla/ or something like that. I will take a clip that I have , mod it the way I want, acid dip it and have it coasted (powder coat? or dipped in a moisture cure type paint. . It will have a front diff drop and cast iron front diff with torsen guts I think. The mounts will be modded and welded as part of the clip. Built tranny, NP236, Torsen rear diff.

#86 ·
Thanks!
I've been planning those lights for awhile, can't wait to get them hooked up.

I'm trying to make the rear bumper look less mini vanny and more off roady like the front, I have a few more ideas to try.

The clevis d rings were very easy, they are 2 ton rings from TSC, $3.99 each, the mounts are 3/4-10 nuts welded to the bottom of the bumper and rounded off so they don't look like nuts and then painted to match the bumper. They are just for show, won't hold any weight, mall crawler tough...lol!

Someday I'll weld in real mounts but for now they look the part.

#87 ·
Looking sweet man, keep it up!!!!

#90 ·
Got some rocker switches in the mail the other day...still waiting on one. they are back lit blue to match the led's in the dash.

Decided to mount them in the overhead console, in the spot where the garage door opener goes.

Here is the switch housing with the switches (minus the one I'm waiting for) mounted
5663.jpeg

And here they are in the place where they will live.
5664.jpeg

One switch will control the front led light bar and the other will control the rear led bumper pods. Its going to be a pain in the butt to run the wiring through the headliner but will be pretty cool once its done.

#93 ·
1lowcab said:
Got some rocker switches in the mail the other day...still waiting on one. they are back lit blue to match the led's in the dash.

Decided to mount them in the overhead console, in the spot where the garage door opener goes.

Here is the switch housing with the switches (minus the one I'm waiting for) mounted
View attachment 1

And here they are in the place where they will live.

One switch will control the front led light bar and the other will control the rear led bumper pods. Its going to be a pain in the butt to run the wiring through the headliner but will be pretty cool once its done.
That is So Funny! I am planning the same mod for my Lights and Cameras. I had not realized how large those switches were. I Might look for smaller ones. Oh I just looked at it again I was going to use the CD holder I have the Homelink door opener I'm very happy with, I'm also debating on putting a small CB radio in the CD Holder spot.

#100 ·
More parts coming in.

Got the Raptor Liner in, should be done this week
5856.jpg

New taillights came in
2.jpg

And I started to change around the lift.
I had 2" blocks in the front with the torsion bar adjustments bottomed out...it rode like a jackhammer!
So I got 3" blocks so I could relax the torsion bars a little and get the smooth ride back.

2" vs 3"
4.jpeg

And a brand new Express steering shaft, they are long and I will never have to worry about it being over extended.
I got a new one because the ujoints in my old steering shaft had a little slop to them and wanted everything in the front to be new.

Here they are side by side, both fully compressed.
3.jpeg

Got it all together today and the smooth ride is back, love it!

I'm on vacation this week so get ready for lots of pics as stuff gets done.

#101 ·
Got the light bar mounted, still need to run the wiring.
I kind of recessed it into the grill a little.
6437.jpg

6438.jpg

Got the van all sanded down and keyed for paint, still need to do around all the tight spots.
6425.jpeg

Got the radiator support cleaned up, got all the surface rust sanded out, treated, primed and undercoated.
Still need to finish/clean up the wiring for the bumper lights.
6434.jpg

And I pulled both front axles, replacing the cv joints, one side was bad so I just did both. I knew I should have done it when I had the whole front end apart replacing the upper/lower control arms and wheel bearings...oh well, live and learn. :roll:
Using NAPA remanufactured axles per Leeanns advice.
6429.jpeg

P.S
Don't mind my gravel floor, still saving to have concrete poured.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.