Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Am i running too hot?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Coaster 
#1 ·
I seem to me ON the 210 or just past it

I was doing stop n go around 25-50 mph in 98-100 degrees

Can i do a mod to keep the the fans on maybe?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Rookie162 said:
well, since your fan is bolted directly to the crankshaft of the engine, anytime the engine is running, your fan is turning

I would say your fine at that temp, as long as it doesn't start climbing up from there. Like CC said, notoriously inaccurate gauges.

#5 ·
I replaced my fan clutch with a Hayden heavy duty when I first got my van and my temp gauge has always stayed between the 2nd bold white line and 210. Only downside is , it is loud when it's cold. That thing really drags the engine down if you take off when you first start it untill it disengages. But I guess that's a small price to pay to stay cool

#6 ·
I replaced my fan clutch with a severe duty clutch.

Mine runs just barely below 210 on the gauge, no matter what. But it's lower than that on any of my OBD II devices.

#7 ·
The gauges are not very accurate. If you real real stickler, and have lots of extra time on your hands you can remove the clear lense from your cluster, reinstall your cluster and let the van run with an accurate scan tool on it. It's possible to pull the orange needle off the gauge and re-position it so that the van's gauge will read what your scan tool is showing. You can do this with oil, fuel etc, they still aren't 100% accurate but they will be a lot better than before. Just don't pull the speedometer one off. When you are done. Remove the cluster and put the clear lense back on.

#8 ·
Rookie162 said:
Weird question... unless you are running multiple electric fans, you should only have 1 mechanical fan (not fans) if the system is stock. I'm willing to bet the fan is either turning hard and something else is wrong, or the clutch is defective.

Everyone assumes fan, but the cooling system could have issues, the radiator could have issues... there is more than one possibility. The fan clutch however, is often the culprit.

Is the fan shroud intact? It is vital to proper cooling at idling or low speeds when it's hot out.

If the temp drops when you hit the highway, then your trouble definitely is an airflow issue at low speeds (fan or clutch). If however, your temp stays high, then it's something else.

220 is borderline high... but in the heat of the summer with the A/C on... it's not too far off from normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.