Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Windshield Top leak

6K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Lumpy 
#1 ·
I't rained all night and I didn't notice till this morning around 10am that there is a leak.

What can I do to stop it? some transparent caulking/crazy glue (lol?) ? :confused: :feedback:

#3 ·
I used clear silicone. Probably not a good way to go. Maybe wipe it with acetone first. I had to smear it thin and wide. The first bead I ran was laser thin and perfect, It did not stick . The thin and wide bead stopped the leak and that made me happy. It lasted for years that way. Looked like a child had chalked it, but as I get older things like that bother me less and less.

#4 ·
paintdrying said:
I used clear silicone. Probably not a good way to go. Maybe wipe it with acetone first. I had to smear it thin and wide. The first bead I ran was laser thin and perfect, It did not stick . The thin and wide bead stopped the leak and that made me happy. It lasted for years that way. Looked like a child had chalked it, but as I get older things like that bother me less and less.
thanks both of you... :) will be stopping at home depot !!! :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty:

#8 ·
Humid rain, to the touch, maybe a few hours. You could drive it around town after maybe 8 hours. A full day and maybe you could take it on the highway. You do nt want the force of the wind tearing the seal. If there is no flex in your joint you should be good by morning. I know the label always says 24 hours to full cure, but the humidity thing makes it tricky.

#9 ·
paintdrying said:
Humid rain, to the touch, maybe a few hours. You could drive it around town after maybe 8 hours. A full day and maybe you could take it on the highway. You do nt want the force of the wind tearing the seal. If there is no flex in your joint you should be good by morning. I know the label always says 24 hours to full cure, but the humidity thing makes it tricky.
this said fine with 50% humid

but Im gonna apply another layer today

#12 ·
chevymaher said:
Go to auto paint shop buy clear silicon in small tube.Stick point behind trim and run a bead on both sides of trim around leak.
I also have a leak in the cabin, dripping right by the rear view (but it could just be collecting in the center).

I'm thinking of ordering this: http://cart.autopartswarehouse.com/basket?ai=true

But silicone would be faster and cheaper - are you saying to apply it on the exterior or interior underneath the headliner?

Thanks!

#13 ·
AK1 said:
chevymaher said:
Go to auto paint shop buy clear silicon in small tube.Stick point behind trim and run a bead on both sides of trim around leak.
But silicone would be faster and cheaper - are you saying to apply it on the exterior or interior underneath the headliner?

Thanks!
Just get tube with a small pointed end. Jam it under the rubber trim on the outside. Run a bead around the windsheild on both sides of the rubber trim. Whipe the excess that squirts out off. Just keep rubbing as it hardens and it peels off easily and leaves no visible trace.
It you let it harden and then try to clean it off it wont come off and leaves a messy looking seal.

EDIT; aquarium sealer really works good to. It is clear.

#15 ·
AK1 said:
I tried some black silicone and it worked in some spots, but didn't complete the job... Could be partially my fault, too. I got some 3M weatherstrip sealer which did the job again and it worked much better. :mrgreen:
Could you detail how you installed/used the goo please? Were you going for the space between metal and rubber or rubber and glass?

Lump

#16 ·
Lumpy said:
AK1 said:
I tried some black silicone and it worked in some spots, but didn't complete the job... Could be partially my fault, too. I got some 3M weatherstrip sealer which did the job again and it worked much better. :mrgreen:
Could you detail how you installed/used the goo please? Were you going for the space between metal and rubber or rubber and glass?

Lump
Hey Lump - I peeled back the the weatherstrip to get the nozzle underneath it; then I squirted enough in so that it was overflowing out of the entire length of the weatherstrip. I also made sure to squirt some in the corners where the door overlaps. Once it dried I detailed it a bit by hand so it didn't look messy. The silicone was thinner and although I did it the same way it didn't seal it completely. Again, though, it would probably work had I put in more time and effort. In sum, though, the 3M product was a 5 minute process and there is no more leaking.

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.