Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

1990 Chevy Astro Provan Tiger GTv8 Pop-Up Camper

92K views 261 replies 36 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
Just bought a 1990 Chevy Astro Provan Tiger GT pop-up with a blown engine(thanks Laura). Already got an engine for it from Randy(thanks)! Now I just have to figure out how to get it home to work on it.

Like many RV/Conversion Vans, it's titled as a 1990, but is a 1989 Cargo conversion.

This is my first Tiger, I have a thread for my second Tiger here viewtopic.php?f=127&t=111986 and my third Tiger here viewtopic.php?f=127&t=109937

See less See more
#52 ·
Wanted to get a new key cut from the factory key code. The dealer wanted $20 just to look up the code, and $5 for the key. INSANE! So I went to my favorite parts store, Autozone and bought a new ignition cylinder with 2 keys for $14. Just don't forget to rent the special tool to depress the lock ring so that you can get the snap-ring out, that was a refundable $20.

aaikoaadh.jpg

#54 ·
chevymaher said:
Hey will your famous now.I was cruising the vans in U-tube and saw your tiger.
Hey all right! I went to take off the torque converter cover and snapped one of the exhaust studs, grrr. Not even going to work on it until after the vacation. But I do want to find out where that leak is coming from. Probably the oil pan like you said, seems like they are a pita to get to seal, I'm thinking some black RTV might go nicely with it. Thinking back my son let the engine down onto the pan, maybe it's just slightly deformed or something. I didn't notice anything, but I guess sometimes they can be a pain to seal up anyway.

#55 ·
Since the original post for the Tiger I have done a ton of researching on these and found several oddities along the way. Like did you know Allegro used the Astro for class C conversions? Here is a couple of pics I found. There werent any of the interiors that I could find. It would be really interested to see what the insides looked like. Anyway not to take anything from the Tiger but these are kind of neat as well but I do think the tiger is a better "fit" and would probably handle and camp better. Neat pics though

#56 ·
For some reason your pictures didn't show up. I'm going to try and get some work done on it this week, order the new house water pump, find/fix the leaks, and fix that broken exhaust stud.

#58 ·
a2l1 said:
The gallery is down and thats where the pics are so I guess they will show up when they fix the gallery. Sorry about that.
Well that makes sense.

#59 ·
The gallery is back up. If you look at the pics it seems just a little ungainly. Looks like it would have problems in the wind and hills. Just a bit to big for the astro. I may be wrong but it sure looks like that to me. Still its neat and I do wish there were some shots of the interior. Maybe someone in the forum has or knows of one?

A J

#60 ·
Information about Astro Tiger Motorhomes. The Provan factory began life in Northglenn, CO but moved to Columbia, SC in the early 2000's
The Astro versions ( GT and XL) are no longer being built. When GM killed off the Astro's and Safari's, Dave (The original owner of Provan Industries) decided to stop converting even the used vans. The factory did make a few conversions from the Gt to the XL. You could tell if it was factory or not by it having the fiberglass cap that is installed on the XL. I have seen a few conversions that were home done but without the XL cap. Usually the home builder also didn't fabricate the cabinets that are notmally installed in the factory units but not impossible to do.
At one time Provan would allow you to bring in your personal owned Astor or Safari and they would convert it to either model that you wanted. The factory now has a new owner (Mark) and he will probably convert a truck that you own but the A&S's are history. Dave told me before he sold out that they destroyed the mold for the XL caps and they damaged the jig that was used to build the aluminum frames for the GT's and XL's.
It is a very interesting thing to see them fabricate these little "Tiger's" and I was able to be at the factory as they converted the very last Tiger XL on an Astro chassis.
Most everything on the camping side of the rig can be dealt with by camping repair and supply companies so there is nothing specific to these components. The camper windows were a special design made specific for the GT' and XL's so if one of those gets broken or worse, it will be very difficult to get a replacement.
It may be possible to get an owners manual from Provan but it will be for the newer units (CX's) but as far as the camper is concerned most everything will still relate to the earlier versions. ( wiring, plumbing, lighting etc.) The new CX's have generators on board so this part can be ignored.

#61 ·
I would love a video of an Astro GT being constructed from start to finish. I have a manual from another year, all of the info is 'close enough'.

I wonder if there are supposed to be clips that hold the screens in, and if so I wonder if I can get replacements, the screens are not in there securely at all.

Edit: Some manuals available here: https://sites.google.com/site/astrosafa ... xl-manuals

#62 ·
Came home from vacation to find a leaking TV/detent/kickdown cable. I looked at the parts to see if there was a seal for it. The only thing I found was a listing for an o-ring. The $0.10 o-ring that the dealer wants $1.90 for is: ACdelco 463015 10.82MM ID/.426in ID

I had an o-ring the correct size, and I tried it, but the housing that gets bolted into the transmission has a bit too much flexibility to it. When it was designed it should have had a bolt on both sides to exert equal pressure on the seal. Instead they just used one bolt and it won't hold it down properly. It was previously sealed with some RTV, and being that I have some left over, that is what I'm going to try and fix it with, if that doesn't work, then I will buy a new cable.

#63 ·
On my Van it's a little more than just an O-ring, it's more like a tube shape.
Might want to check out the part at the dealer ;)

#64 ·
Is this how it is supposed to look, mine was RTVed in there when I got it so I have no idea. ATP SO-37

#65 ·
That's the one!

When installing it be sure to install it in the transmission first and then install the T.V. cable.

#66 ·
Thanks Dirk, I used some RTV on it again, if it holds, well then good to go. If it doesn't at least I know what part to order and what it looks like :)

Drained the oil this morning, going to pull the pan and use some RTV on there to ensure that it is 100% sealed. Looks like fresh oil coming from up near where the timing chain cover meets the pan running all the way back towards the starter.

#67 ·
Be sure to check the oil pick-up for dirt and/or contamination when you have the pan off.
Might save you some trouble later on ;)

#68 ·
Ok the pan is back on, torqued in place, filled with 4quarts of oil, and waiting for the RTV to set for 24hrs. Surprisingly the exhaust stud came out very easily, I sprayed it with pb-blaster about 4 times over 2 days, and beat it with a hammer, came right out.
Replaced the one broke stud, trying to figure out if I should replace the other ones while I am at it and have the extras. Part of me says go ahead and put the new studs in, and the other part of me says it's not broke, why mess with it. :)
Help/18 pcs. exhaust stud kit for GM 1962-1996 part #03147 $7 at Autozone.

#69 ·
I'd say replace all of them while you're at it.

#70 ·
Looked under the van the other day to check the leaks to find this.
I doubt that it came loose, most likely it broke, what size bolt is supposed to be in there anyway?

Oh and the 4.3 is a bit low on power for the weight, I'm thinking of a V8 swap viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12308

#72 ·
Well considering that it is on rear and on leaf springs, you don't even notice that it's missing at all. I also have to find out where the gasoline smell is coming from, checked the cap and the seal was all cracked, replaced that but still have the smell. Most likely it is the extension that they put on the filler neck, will have to find a replacement hose for it I'm sure.

Where can I find a really long filler neck hose anyway?

#73 ·
The diameter is quite large..
I'm thinking coolant hoses off of a commercial truck, the big riggs.
You might even be able to score a used one for free at a truck shop.

#74 ·
I got a piece of flexible (ribbed) fuel fill hose from my local parts house (not a chain store) for my RV. Bend to fit, then it stays in place, cut off what you need. Wasn't expensive.

#75 ·
Thanks, I look at both places, the way they had to route the filler hose is kind of retarded.

Here is a picture of a newer Tiger with mine behind it up at Bryce Canyon.

#76 ·
Dropped the blackwater/greywater tank to weld the bumper mount to the frame where it was cracked. This is when I found out that the rear seat belt mounts/bolts are mounted only through plywood. Seriously, through the plywood. I would have at least put a piece of angle iron across the bumper mount or something similar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.