Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Pics of the 'new' '99 Safari XLE AWD

49K views 340 replies 38 participants last post by  mdmudchcker 
#1 ·
Thought I'd take this out of the "what did you..." thread.

My new to me toy....
99_driver.jpg

99_passenger.jpg

99_front.jpg

99_rear.jpg

See less See more
#202 ·
It's the AC Delco 41-993. Apparently they used to be platinum and are now iridium

From Summit Racing:
ACDelco iridium spark plugs are the latest evolution in high performance plugs. The natural properties of iridium, with a melting point of approximately 700 degrees Celsius higher than platinum, help enable the plug to burn fuel more efficiently and to deliver better performance. As a result, the iridium plugs have a minimum service life of 100,000 miles (service life varies with individual driving conditions.) Since iridium is one of the densest materials found on earth, the iridium-tipped center electrode is 50 percent the size of a platinum electrode, and 20 percent the size of a conventional nickel electrode. The secondary micro-discharge of the center electrode burns off carbon deposits as they form, for superior anti-fouling performance that, along with the tapered cut-ground electrode, offers enhanced flame spread during combustion. The specially designed electrodes increase the electric field strength at the gap, reducing the voltage required for sparking to begin, for improved cold starting and quicker acceleration. The application coverage of ACDelco iridium spark plugs continues to grow, with the plugs being backed by a 100,000-mile limited warranty.

#203 ·
In 2002 the iridium plug became standard on many GM vehicles ,and every year after that the list became longer and longer for it being the standard issue plug. The last time I tried to show this article ; someone who refused to research anything tried to proclaim they were a gimmick and created an argument , no need for that again ,

here is the Ac Delco website and what they say about their plug

http://www.acdelco.com/html/bn_iridium_plugs.htm

#204 ·
Phantom said:
In 2002 the iridium plug became standard on many GM vehicles ,and every year after that the list became longer and longer for it being the standard issue plug. The last time I tried to show this article ; someone who refused to research anything tried to proclaim they were a gimmick and created an argument , no need for that again ,

I checked them out.I just wish I would have known before I bought the platinum ones.I not having trouble with them and will just wear them out.They will be the next plugs I buy.Best mix of durability and conductivity sign me up for that program.

#205 ·
Went out to replace both upstream oxygen sensors. 98° and 55% humidity at 10:00 am. Yay...

Did the driver's side first. Again, whatever moron installed them, installed them dry. And very, very tight. Sprayed with PB, tapped, sprayed again, tapped...waited, then heated the bung with the MAPP gas torch. Crreeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkk, it finally came loose. Well, sorta loose - had to use the 18" bar until it was on the last thread. The bottom has the white stuff on it, more than the downstream sensor did. According to the book, that's unapproved silicone rtv contamination.
01_DriverOldvNew.jpg

And the new, installed with plenty of the included anti-seize (it has glass beads in it that stay despite the heat)
02_DriverInstalled.jpg

As for the passenger side, well, I can't even see it without contorting the heck out of myself. Some idiot installed the new converter about 6" further forward than stock - it's actually half under the heat shield, half in front. That takes away all room/sight to work on the stupid thing. Makes it really hard to do anything but touch it blindly, actually. Sprayed with PB, using the straw, several times. Whacked it a couple times, but couldn't get a good swing. Pulled out the impact wrench, put the offset socket on the thing and used the 9" extension bar and let the impact hammer give it a few good blows. Waited, used the MAPP gas torch as well as possible on the bung, then tried with the 24" bar. Yeah, right....not even with both hands on the end, pulling as hard as I could with my body braced against the tire. Nada. Sprayed, heated, sprayed, heated, sprayed, heated....nada.

Passenger side beat me. I haven't a clue how to get it off. The code was for bank 1, fortunately, but I'd really like to have 3 matching sensors on the thing. And know that I can get them off in the future....

And then it got a bit cloudy and there were lots of thunder-booms, so it was time to put away the toys. I did put the scanner on it and clear the codes. Checked again, now I'm getting the P0452 (fuel tank pressure sensor low) and, suddenly, a P0300. Guess I do have to check the wires better after all - the scanner's misfire check says misfire on both 1 & 2.

#206 ·
Phantom said:

i have been using ngk iridiums since '98, so it wasn't me lol.
i also have 35k on the set for my van... i love them. who ever it was clearly didn't study metal properties in school.... or said person cough failed cough

#207 ·
Well, I re-learned a lesson tonight. When I replaced the plugs, I didn't do the wires. Why? Because it was 105° with 65% humidity Saturday. I was overheated, sweaty and dehydrated (no matter how much water I drank), and didn't want to spend another minute outside.

Tonight I was reminded why you don't do that (haven't done it in over 10 years). Got misfires on 1, 4 and 6 and shook so bad at idle I couldn't stand it. Why? Because the wires were bad and it was humid enough - 91% since we got storms through this afternoon - to magnify the problem. Mostly old, but the boot on #1 was cracked despite the care I took and I simply didn't see it Saturday. Replaced the wires, cleared the codes, started her up and she ran smooth as silk at all throttle positions.

Now I just have to figure out the fuel tank pressure/evap system problem. Whether it's the fuel tank vent, the filler neck, the evap/vent lines...I haven't a clue.

#208 ·
Checked all the evap/vent connections on the driver's side near the canister and vent valve. All is good, tight and clean. Replaced the gas cap as the check valve was good, but the gasket is all cracked.

Decided to check the rear diff while I had it up on all 4 ramps and I'm glad I did...and wish I had done so earlier. It took almost a quart of gear oil (with no visible leaks).

Cleared the codes, took it for a drive to get cold beer. Ran great....smooth, powerful, fuel economy (I saw 23 mpg steady on the instant screen while cruising at 56 mph). I still have the P0452, though.

Then I replaced the fuel filter on the '94 Ford Tempo that my best friend's husband will be driving when he returns the Bravada (gift from the in-laws). Less than a month old and I poured out a filter full of rusty mud. No wonder it cut out just up the road from my house; it was fuel starved! It had sat in their yard for 3 years, but had been gone over twice by a Ford mechanic (he was the shop manager at a Ford dealership before he opened his own shop) prior to it coming up here. Now why wouldn't he drop the tank and clean out the old gas and crud? All he did was run it a little, change the fuel filter and pronounce it good to go. Hmph.

#214 ·
Ran awesome, drove better than the Bravada. Got 18.5 mpg average, through the mountains and flats. Temp never went above 198°, even on the steepest/highest hill on the PA Turnpike. Oil pressure never went below 40. Life is good ;)

Drove through a torrential downpour on the PA Tpke, never missed a beat, hydroplaned or slipped. Did have to slow to 45 mph just to see :shock:

#215 ·
Ran just as awesome on the way home. Got 18.41 for the trip, driving between 70 and 75 the whole way, except through the construction zones (which were frequent).

Temperature and oil pressure never wavered. It definitely ran better, with more power, than the Bravada, especially up the hills.

I wish the cruise control worked, but the connector under the hood is securely connected and there's nothing. Not sure if the stalk is dead or if there's a problem somewhere in between, but no cruise. Got the passenger seat adjusted while we were up there. Had to clamp a pair of pliers on the ball soldered onto the end of the pull wire, then pull the lever (the pliers added enough length to make the adjuster work). My assistant then adjusted the seat to fit...though I wish he'd adjusted it one click further back. The idiot who assembled the seat put the levers on both so that they hang to the floor. I didn't bring torx bits, so I'll have to do that at some point soon here.

Next step: inspection. Quickly. Plates expire on the 5th.

#216 ·
Ok,
__I've sat here & read the whole thread all in one sitting.
& all I have to ask is...
Where the heck did you get your anti-sway bar bushing kit at?
I can't find a bushing kit for mine anywhere.

#218 ·
Got mine at my local parts house. They had it on the shelf.

Dropped the Safari off at the inspection place last night. I'll hear today...

#221 ·
Yeah, I needed it. It didn't pass, but I get a free re-test within 30 days or 1000 miles, whichever comes first. Since the inspection tag expires tomorrow, that would be 30 days.

1) Brake master cylinder leaking (yeah, well, it usually will when one of the 4 clippy things isn't clipped on the cover..UGH).
2) Power steering hose clamp failing and power steering fluid leaking everywhere.
3) Steering box covered in fluid (most likely from aforementioned failing hose clamp) and can't tell if it's leaking.
4) Brake lines rusty and wet (again, from both aforementioned leaks). The rust I can take care of once they're cleaned with the rust converter stuff.
5) Supposedly, the cotter pins on the driver's side ball joints are missing. Since I installed them myself (and got bloody from slipping and hitting the stupid ends), I know dang well they're installed. But I will check.
6) Battery loose.

Oops on that last one - I never checked the clamp. It was a brand-new battery and I made the mistake of assuming it had been installed by someone with a brain. When I changed out the side terminals, it didn't rock so I never even considered that it was loose.

The passenger-side headlight needed to be aimed (which they did). I did better on the driver's side, apparently ;)

Won't be home this weekend, so I'll have to do all that (weather permitting) after work next week when I can.

#340 ·
Yeah, I needed it. It didn't pass, but I get a free re-test within 30 days or 1000 miles, whichever comes first. Since the inspection tag expires tomorrow, that would be 30 days.

1) Brake master cylinder leaking (yeah, well, it usually will when one of the 4 clippy things isn't clipped on the cover..UGH).
2) Power steering hose clamp failing and power steering fluid leaking everywhere.
3) Steering box covered in fluid (most likely from aforementioned failing hose clamp) and can't tell if it's leaking.
4) Brake lines rusty and wet (again, from both aforementioned leaks). The rust I can take care of once they're cleaned with the rust converter stuff.
5) Supposedly, the cotter pins on the driver's side ball joints are missing. Since I installed them myself (and got bloody from slipping and hitting the stupid ends), I know dang well they're installed. But I will check.
6) Battery loose.

Oops on that last one - I never checked the clamp. It was a brand-new battery and I made the mistake of assuming it had been installed by someone with a brain. When I changed out the side terminals, it didn't rock so I never even considered that it was loose.

The passenger-side headlight needed to be aimed (which they did). I did better on the driver's side, apparently ;)

Won't be home this weekend, so I'll have to do all that (weather permitting) after work next week when I can.
Pics of the 'new' '99 Safari XLE AWD Sans Pics
Would be more acurate. I came here to see more pics.

#224 ·
I agree with lumpy! WTF on the inspection!? I like our WV inspections: lights, wiper blades, and emergency brake check. I forgot to reinstall the wiper blade arms my last inspection so I had to install in the middle of the inspection! Lol. It kinda sucks Leeann, all that work for for.......well it just stinks and I don't like the smell of it!

#226 ·
When the chevelles inspected.Sheriff comes to the garage.You saw the body carnage it had.No windows at all in it.No doors,no brakes,no engine ,no tranny,no interior,no wheels,frame laying in the floor under it.Fenders and hood leaning against the wall.Check vin number put it in computer.Start lauging and talking to sheriff.Say your making a race car huh.Vin comes back clean signs the paper.Have a nice day.I am surprised they are not giving prostrate exams as part of those inspections.There are free states left in the union where slavery and tyranny have been abolished.I understand the lemon laws purpose, but as with all goverment programs they have corrupted it into a evil helping no-one but themselves situation.Seems like a knowing waiver would be in order.Like our system better,Say you bought a radiator cap and vin number buddy.And you intend to spend umpteen billion dollars building a car with it.Live it up and let me see it when it done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.