Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Tires For 1998 Astro LT 4.3

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Leeann_93 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone
I have Good year viva I think. They are 40,000 miles tires. The tire did not last 40,000 miles . They wore even but they didn't last but about 27,000 I am ready to try some different tires. I bought these at Walmart. Brands good places to buy any suggestions. luckybodog

#4 ·
My Astro and Safari had those same tires on there when I bought them. It appears the previous owners just wanted to put the cheapest set of tires they could find on. But mine are wearing pretty well. 87 Astro has been driven 10,000 miles on those tires since I bought it and they still look almost new so I think they could last the 40,000 miles. The Safari already had them on there for a year or so before I bought it but they still have plenty of tread left. There are lots of factors into how long tires last. Front end condition, alignment, air pressure, roads, wether you're loaded or unloaded and simply how you drive it. They ride decent, seem to have low rolling resistance for gas mileage (both vans get 20+ mpg), and I don't notice any abnormal road noise. When they wear out though, I'm going to a different tire just because I want a 235/75/15 and 215/75/15 is the biggest Vivas come in.

Now to answer your question :D . Telling you which tire to get isn't easy because it depends on what you want. Vivas are a passenger tire thus giving a softer ride. So you need to stick to passenger tires if that's what you want. If you live in an area where it snows but don't want two sets of tires, a good all-terrain is what you need. If you want better handling or if you tow/haul quite a bit of weight around, you need an LT tire. I wanna try to the Yokohama Touring-S for my next tire. They make them in 235/75/15 and it could be a tire you want to check out. My friend has them on his Eclipse and says they're working out just fine as far as wear, ride, etc.

#5 ·
Just a quick note . I bought Ha nooks at the dealer. They are like balloons and cost about $400.00 . I was suckered by the rebate. I'm going with Michelins next time. It all about the money I get all upset about a few bucks. I had the handles on one of my Astros put on at a van place in Ohio. He loaned me a van to take home while he fixed the handles . The Van rode ten times better than mine. I looked on the van it had Michelins on it. I think a few more bucks would be worth the ride.Now that I am Old. Ha

#7 ·
I had to put two tires on the front about 8 months ago. I purchased Firestone destination le. I like having the stiffer side wall. Plus they dig in when I need them to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.