Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Rear Hatch on 2000 Astro stuck on passenger side

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Leeann_93 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Chevy Astro, and the rear hatch will unlock, but when i press the switch, only the driver's side will open. I've researched some, and it seems to be a pretty common occurrence. I tried replacing the #13 cigarette lighter fuse (I've read if this fuse blows, only one side of the hatch will open), but the same problem persisted. Are there any other fuses tied into this? Should I try to pop the panel off from the inside?

Also, I'm not sure if it may be a connected problem, but about a year ago my keychain remote stopped unlocking my doors, and next my driver's side door will only unlock/lock halfway if i use the key in any other latch EXCEPT the driver's side door...not sure if that's tied in, but figured I'd throw it in there.

I greatly appreciate any help!

#2 ·
There is only one solenoid that is used to unlock the hatch. If one side is unlatching, and the other is not, then probably one of the connecting rods from the solenoid to the latch has come loose of its' mounting.
Remove the center handle and plate to reveal the connecting rods, and (hopefully) you will be able to pull the pax side manually. That is, if the rod is off at the solenoid end of the assembly.

Good luck, and good hunting

Bob

#5 ·
Chevy has used several different fastener types to hold the rods secure. I think the tinnerman nut style is heads over heals from the plastic bushing type. Once the rod pops out, you can be assured that there will be a repeat performance because the fastener has lost most of its' gripping power. Plastic bushings are not generally available except in the JY, and the metal fastener, as far as I know, only come with the new part as a piece of the assembly. So, it is off to the JY in either case.

Glad you got it open, and if you are up to it, try to do something to upgrade your attachments before they really leave you in a fix.

Bob

Right now I am in the throes of changing all the attachments in one of our trucks' driver side doors. Only the inside lever will operate the latch to open the door. What a pain !

#6 ·
Opening up an old post here but thought I should share this thought..
I've owned 3 Astros and dealt with the one rod that always pops off and only one side of the hatch unlatches.
Yep, easy fix, removed handle etc.
But, save yourself the grief of it popping back of next month or next week or next slam shut if you have teenage boys

Pop the rod into the plastic retaining clip then use a small zip tie around the rod and the arm of the solinoid that holds the crappy retraining clip and ta-da, fixed for good!

#8 ·
To access the solenoid and connecting rods in the rear window hatch, how exactly does one "remove the center handle"? The outside center handle has no visible screws or bolts. The inside handle has is surrounded by a plastic cover, but it does not appear to be able to be pried without breaking.

#9 ·
Pop the little plastic covers on either side of the actual handle to reveal the bolts that hold it on. But remove the phillips-head screws on either side of the panel, then pull the door panel carefully, you're popping metal clips on plastic posts out of their holes. You just need enough to get your hand in there and pull on the rod on the offending side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.