Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Overhead Wiring

7K views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  manny951 
#1 ·
I'm going to be replaceing my 97 overhead with one from a 97 Blazer that has avg mpg and other add ons. I have the wiring dirgram for the blazer but i can't find the one for the astro, my astro only has the temp and direction.

#2 ·
As I recall the trip computer came in the astro in 98 , it has the "mode" button I put a overhead console from a 99 into my 96 , , there are different rpo codes for them depending on what functions were in them , this the diagram you'll need , , should be a simple swap since you already have a overhead console in it , ,,there are 2 plugs at the console itself that will connect to existing wiring and another plug that plugs into the box next to the fuse panel ,you may have to add a wire to the purple OBD2 connector for data to get the avg mpg and other readouts to work , depending on the current wiring you already have

Attachments

#6 ·
Phantom said:
As I recall the trip computer came in the astro in 98 , it has the "mode" button I put a overhead console from a 99 into my 96 , , there are different rpo codes for them depending on what functions were in them , this the diagram you'll need , , should be a simple swap since you already have a overhead console in it , ,,there are 2 plugs at the console itself that will connect to existing wiring and another plug that plugs into the box next to the fuse panel ,you may have to add a wire to the purple OBD2 connector for data to get the avg mpg and other readouts to work , depending on the current wiring you already have
my dads van is a 1998 never came with the overhead console but i ended up modding the regular compass and tempature but my father really wanted the one that has all the goodies can it still be done? i did get the wire connects next to the fuse box just not the purple wire :[

#7 ·
manny951 said:
my dads van is a 1998 never came with the overhead console but i ended up modding the regular compass and tempature but my father really wanted the one that has all the goodies can it still be done? i did get the wire connects next to the fuse box just not the purple wire :[
Yes it can be done , it not hard at all , in some cases an additional wire needs to be added in, that would be a wire that taps into the purple wire on the OBD2 connector ,as that purple wire is the data link wire that sends the trip computer the data for the MPG calculations , There 3 rpo codes for the consoles depending on which console was in the van ,,even if a van did not come with a console it can be installed just the same as it would from factory

If you have already installed the console and that console is the Gen 2 style , you can do it one of 2 ways ,,1. just remove /swap out with new console as the mount the same
2. pull out the computer of console that only reads compass and temp and replace with the trip computer as they are the same size

It may be easier to just remove current console and install the the console with the trip computer , then just add a purple wire to the OBD2 connector to get the trip computer data input

#9 ·
That looks like the computer out of the console..is that right ? did you remove it from the console?

The wiring for the console computer goes internal to the console and then comes out of the console in it's own wiring harness which includes the overhead dome light and map lights m the wiring diagram posted is for the harness that comes out of the console that is separated into 2 separate plug connectors , what connectors do you have that connect the console to the van wiring harness ?
I have a few diagrams , just trying to find out which one you will need

In the pic the connectors that are black and a blue one are for the console connection at the ceiling of van the gray connector plugs into the box beside the fuse panel

Attachments

#13 ·
In that picture the wires have been snipped ,,what happened ?

was your installed overhead console that you had originally installed a factory installed one?

why were the wires snipped off? ,,where is that part that got cut off?

Is the console out of van ,,or did you just remove the DIC computer and leave the console installed and attached to the ceiling?

I am trying to help , but you need to offer more details as to exactly what you have in the van at the moment , it looks like you just took out the DIC and cut the wires ,,I don't know what you have or have not done as you haven't said ,, but if you have not cut the wires from your DIC ,,you can try just unplugging the DIC remove it and plug in the other one you want to use , usually when people speak of the console they mean the entire console , not just the DIC

DIC = Driver Information Center ...the trip computer

What you have is the DK6 console and you have the DIC from a DK8 console , the DK8 has a 9 pin connector that uses 8 wires and the DK6 uses 6 wires you will need to wire it up with the 2 extra wires

If you cannot do that it may be easier for you to buy another complete console that has all you need and just add the data wire connection

Attachments

#14 ·
Sorry been doing this on my work breaks
The last picture of the plug really helped, just having fun trying to figure out my wiring because it doesnt match my service manual
Won't let me upload so heres a link were i'm at

Will be running the wires though the front on the roof and down to the fuse box

In that picture the wires have been snipped ,,what happened ? Cut them to put in the Blazer's DIC

was your installed overhead console that you had originally installed a factory installed one? Factory with just temp and comp

why were the wires snipped off? ,,where is that part that got cut off? 1st picture

Is the console out of van ,,or did you just remove the DIC computer and leave the console installed and attached to the ceiling? Still on the ceiling

#15 ·
Phantom said:
manny951 said:
Yes it can be done , it not hard at all , in some cases an additional wire needs to be added in, that would be a wire that taps into the purple wire on the OBD2 connector ,as that purple wire is the data link wire that sends the trip computer the data for the MPG calculations , There 3 rpo codes for the consoles depending on which console was in the van ,,even if a van did not come with a console it can be installed just the same as it would from factory

If you have already installed the console and that console is the Gen 2 style , you can do it one of 2 ways ,,1. just remove /swap out with new console as the mount the same
2. pull out the computer of console that only reads compass and temp and replace with the trip computer as they are the same size

It may be easier to just remove current console and install the the console with the trip computer , then just add a purple wire to the OBD2 connector to get the trip computer data input
okay tomorrow im going to the junk yard i will look into this new overhead computer what im getting at is i never installed the purple wire i think it had all the rest but not that wire does this purple wire go straight into my computer am i gonna need to slice a wire up a little? thats where im lost I love pictures over diagrams i sux at them lol and to tell you the truth when i did this swap to my dads van it was luck lol

#16 ·
manny951 said:
okay tomorrow im going to the junk yard i will look into this new overhead computer what im getting at is i never installed the purple wire i think it had all the rest but not that wire does this purple wire go straight into my computer am i gonna need to slice a wire up a little? thats where im lost I love pictures over diagrams i sux at them lol and to tell you the truth when i did this swap to my dads van it was luck lol
Make it easy on yourself and only look at 99 and newer vans ,,and make sure there is a button that is marked "MODE" , that is how to tell that it has the trip computer ,,Grab as much of the donor vans wire harness as you can , especially the connector plugs , get both halves of connectors and as much wire as you can take and if you don't have the gray connector and the box beside the fuse box , get that as well , it is the gray connector in the pics

you will need to add the purple wire to the vans wiring if the van did not come with the trip computer ,,but it is easy , the purple wire does go from the PCM computer to the DIC computer in the console , but the easiest access point is at the OBD2 connector under dash ,

#17 ·
grandamle91 said:
The last picture of the plug really helped, just having fun trying to figure out my wiring because it doesnt match my service manual
[ http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2541/1004929u.jpg ]

In that picture the wires have been snipped ,,what happened ? Cut them to put in the Blazer's DIC

was your installed overhead console that you had originally installed a factory installed one? Factory with just temp and comp

why were the wires snipped off? ,,where is that part that got cut off? 1st picture

Is the console out of van ,,or did you just remove the DIC computer and leave the console installed and attached to the ceiling? Still on the ceiling
What may have confused you is where you accessed the wiring , the way the console is wired is with quick connect /disconnect plugs ,(like unto a radio connector when removing radio) but in order to see them you have to drop the console down from the ceiling. The pdf diagram is following that , as the wiring on the inside of the console is a little different .

there is a screw up by the windshield that holds the console up and 1 or 2 screws toward the rear on console , remove those screws and the console comes down and will hang from the wires,

you will see the 2 connectors if you have 2 , you may only have 1 , and if so you will need to add in needed wires ,,the wiring comes back to where the dome lamp is , in the middle of ceiling , then goes straight over to the drivers side wall and down behind the plastic molding where the seat belt wall mounting is , it goes down to the plastic trim that covers the edge of carpet and runs up to fuse box area , if you look up in the deep left corner you'll see the big white connector that is in the pic ,,that is just part of van harness , does not go to console ,
it is easy to install new wires behind the molding , here is a pic that has the connectors marked as to where they go to ,,if you pull down the console , it will be easier to match up the wiring to the diagram

Attachments

#19 ·
grandamle91 said:
Yea i really dont want to tear my whole van apart again or that blazer thats even wrost.
It only be a few screws,,the 2 pieces of headliner separate with velcro so it goes back in a snap , since you cannot see what wires are connected and where inside the console you will spend a lot of time trying to figure what wire does what , by dropping the console down it makes it easy to see,, I can do it in 30 minutes .

since your van did not come with a data wire up to the ceiling console you will have to add one to get the trip computer to work , you can run it down the windshield but it won't look as clean as it would as a factory routed wire

#21 ·
grandamle91 said:
[ http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2541/1004929u.jpg ]

how do you remove that computer from the top console? do u just pull it out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.