Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Problems with 3rd gear

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  GaryLan1 
#1 ·
OK guys, I need your help. I have just bought a 2004 GMC SAFARI that has been well maintained but the transmission will not shift past 2nd gear. When I put it in drive it takes off in 1st, then shifts into 2nd, and then when its time to shift ito 3rd its like its not there.It makes an attempt to shift but it just rev's up untill i let off the gas and it falls back into 2nd, where it stays. Im hopeing its not shot and maybe the silinoid or another problem. ANYBODY got a clue?????????

#2 ·
Sorry to say that this reads exactly what Green did when the 3-4 clutch pack wore out, only solution was major trans work. In my case, I found a rebuilder that sells units for $800 when you bring your old trans as a core. Being the curious sort and having a spare vehicle to use, I had them rebuild Green's mostly to verify that my suspicion about the clutch pack was accurate. I also had them upgrade the trans with a better clutch pack, Beast sun shell, Corvette servo along with the Transgo HD-2 kit that they normally install. Even with the upgrades and renting the transmission jack I had it fixed properly for less than $1000.

#4 ·
Does it have reverse? If not it is the sun gear. Stripped out teeth. Time for a rebuild.
Mark

#5 ·
Thanks Guys, and yes it has reverse. Thats what i was kinda thinking that it was 3r 4th gear clutch pack but i needed someone else's opion b4 I took it out, because deending on the mood, it can be a bitch to take out, especilly with out the proper jack. Its all good!!! Thanks, Gary Lancaster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.