Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Neutral safety switch location?

16K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  trapper20 
#1 ·
Where is the neutral safety switch? I am not reusing the shift linkage electronics on my 700r4, so I need to be able to start the engine without the ignition knowing that the truck is in park/neutral. What is the easiest way to bypass the switch?

#3 ·
Ok, thought so. Any idea which wires? There are two harness connectors to the shift linkage electronics assembly.

#4 ·
The neutral safety switch is at the bottom of the steering column. Runs off a rod actuated by the shift lever. You have to drop the column to get clear access to it. Putting the van in Park will still actuate it. :)
Mark

#6 ·
trapper20 said:
Ok, thought so. Any idea which wires? There are two harness connectors to the shift linkage electronics assembly.
Yea I can tell you which wires are there , the connector also has the connection to the trans solenoids , I dig up a diagram that shows the wiring , I think it is the pink wire fro hot and the bk/white as ground

#7 ·
He said 700R4. I figured 1st gen. 4l60E is different but the NSS is on the bottom of his column if it's a 1st gen.

#9 ·
Phantom said:
Yea that could be a bit confusing ,, he has a Gen 2 van and putting a '72 Chevy 350 in it , he is apparently trying to put the 700R4 in the van , :cheers:
Ahh... That 'splains it... Thanks.

#11 ·
Sweet, thanks. Yeah, sorry I neglected to mention those details, astroracer. '97 van, '74 350, '91 700r4, or 4l60, to be precise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.