Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Help with noisy speedo cable

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jsmitherson 
#1 ·
Good evening all, been lurking for a bit and finally registered.

Quick question - using some guidance from other posts in this forum, I was able to replace my headlight switch successfully. I wanted to lubricate the gas gauge and oil the speedo cable while I was in there (speedo is getting increasingly noisy lately) but I just wasn't able to get the IP out far enough to even see the back, let alone get a hand back there to disconnect the cable. Any tips or pictures of where the cable's connected? Should I just go ahead and yank on the IP a little more? I was getting about an inch of play at most.

Also, I've heard not to use wd-40 for the speedo cable - what should I use? Same for the gas gauge (sticks, even with vehicle off).

Thanks!

#2 ·
The older vans with speedo cable have a clip you need to pres down on while pulling the cable off from the rear side , Gen2 speedo you can pull from the front , but the older Gen1 you have to reach behind the dash and pull cable from the backside, you can lubricate the speedo cable with graphite powder , you'll need to disconnect it from the transmission as well

here how someone lubed thier gas gauge
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13422&p=143208&hilit=fuel+gauge#p143208

#3 ·
I guess I just don't know what I'm looking for under there. Are you saying that with the trim pieces off I should be able to reach up and disconnect the speedo cable without moving the IP forward first?

Why would I need to remove the cable from the transmission in order to lubricate it? Isn't the noise pretty much just on the dash end?

#4 ·
You should pull the cable out of the casing and lube the whole thing. Graphite has been mentioned but I've never used it, I just use lithium grease.

#5 ·
Graphite is the recommended lubricant, anything else will gel and collect dirt, making it worse. You may want to think about

pulling the cable and replacing it with a new one in the old sheath. They do break occasionally. Sometimes if you are pulling

on the I/P, the "clip" will not release easily, in which case you will want to push on the I/P while trying to work the clip. Not

the easiest, because of the lack of hand room behind the panel, but doable.

Not sure about what the problem is with the gas gage. It is an electrical device, and should not need lubrication. If you mean

that the needle is sticking and you have to use repair proceedure number one, then just give it a tap now and again. Is the

needle bent and catching on the scale ?

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.