Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

If GM were to make a new Astro Safari would you be on board to buy a new model?

• Yes

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe a used one after a few years

Votes: 10 41.7%

2014 GMC Safari / Chevy Astro Gen III

11K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Tegnus 
#1 ·
What would a Gen III Astrofari look like?

What kind of powerhouse and drive train would it have/You'd like to see?

How about a 2 speed t-case?

Maybe a Z71 option available.

I think its time for GM to answer our prayers and re-release the astro/safari's

What would you like to see in a new version of the van?

Maybe some photochop pictures are in order now.

#2 ·
It sure would be fun to have GM build a new van to our specs, but realistically they would have to build something they can sell around the world. That is the reality of the modern auto business. Also, they would not build anything that would cannibalize sales of their full size Express/Savana vans. I think that means we would not see something as large as the original Astro/Safari. Just to close to the full size vans.

I started a similar thread last year. There are some strong feelings on the idea.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14229

I just filled up my van a few hours ago. Better mpg would be nice.

You can look at what GM competitors are building in smaller vans to get a rough picture of what a future small van would look like. Ford has the transit express. Chrysler is working to bring a Fiat van to the US. Benz has a van concept vehicle for a small van. Everything being build now for the world market is smaller than the old Astro/Sarafi. None have been sold in the US except the Transit Express.

#5 ·
Well.. I suppose the closest thing that GM has today to the A/S is the Traverse.

The traverse is a 6 cyl 3.6 liter FWD or AWD with Direct Injection engine, in a mid-sized platform.
Heck even gets 24 mpg... on the highway.

So.. maybe i'll be looking at a used Traverse in a few years time and joining the Traverse Forum...
Herminator

#7 ·
The only way they will bring it back is if they can turn it into a viable fleet vehicle where mileage and maneuverability are key. They have the Chevy express and their Minivan POS already. I can't see it happening unless, as mentioned, the world market would support it being built.

#8 ·
My criteria...

1) Standard gas V6 power, if the LS-based 4.3 is all it is cracked up to be...
2) 2.8L I4, 4.9L V6, or 4.5L V8 Duramax option (turbo please)...
3) Dual fuel tank option...
4) No more PlastiCrap "spider" injection...
5) Choices between biased AWD and TRUE 4WD...
6) I echo SB97's sentiment on a Z71 option with a pop-up camper roof, Westfalia-style.
7) Seating configurations with more interchangeabilty and ease of removal...
8) Side windows that slide down as well as tilt.
9) Better engine accessibility and serviceability (Tall order in a van, I know)...
10) More thought-out audio system and cupholders...

I'm sure most of you will agree on these...

#9 ·
My friend who works at GM dealer said that there is information floating around that GM are indeed working on bringing back Astro. How true is that we should see in a year or two.

Personally I am against buying car that I can't afford - finance/lease it. So I would wait a few years while price drops...

#10 ·
redfury said:
The only way they will bring it back is if they can turn it into a viable fleet vehicle where mileage and maneuverability are key. They have the Chevy express and their Minivan POS already. I can't see it happening unless, as mentioned, the world market would support it being built.
like they did with the old Saturn Vue and turned it into the Chevrolet Captiva.

#11 ·
Tegnus said:
...Personally I am against buying car that I can't afford - finance/lease it. So I would wait a few years while price drops...
In the same boat here. If there is a new van I think it would be 2017+ before it's in production and another few years before I would end up buying a used one. That means I've got to keep the van I have now going another 8-10 years !?

#12 ·
Tegnus said:
My friend who works at GM dealer said that there is information floating around that GM are indeed working on bringing back Astro. How true is that we should see in a year or two.

Personally I am against buying car that I can't afford - finance/lease it. So I would wait a few years while price drops...
I hope to be in a financial position that I could buy a new Astro when they come out, If it was cheap enough I am sure I would be willing to do a loan on one.

I would hope they would keep the same rear dimensions and look just update the front body styling, improve the frame, maybe go to a full truck frame, rather then the H Frame(I was told that is what it is called, that or sub-frame). A 4x4 package would be nice.

#13 ·
I know its a bit crude, but maybe this is what we would be looking at...
2014 Astro.png

From GMC-Terrain heavily modified...

#14 ·
This is a little less crude, second attempt, different vehicle, I think this is more what we would be looking at if they were to redesign front clip... From GMC Yukon, mostly preserved....
2014 Safari.png

I actually think I kind of like it....

#15 ·
Nice photochops but both of those make me wanna blow chunks. If it's gonna have a 4X4 option then I want something with a mean looking front clip, something more akin to the F*RD 2008+ vans and trucks. Fewer curves. The only curves I want are the voluptuous one's sitting in the passenger seat of my mean *** lookin van. And a no blingy-chrome crap option too. Black.

But yeah, it would probably look like that and I wouldn't buy it.

#16 ·
Unfortunatly that is probably what we would end up seeing if GM did decide to bring back the Astrofari

#17 ·
My requirements would be...

Supercharged LS7 SPL (Street Legal Performance) edition with a Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger due to their long standing relationship (making special edition cars) with GM. Obviously this would need a tiptronic box, RWD, lowering and 4 pot calipers all round.

:driving:

E2A

A decent PCD for a better wheel selection.

#19 ·
The all new 2014 Chevy Astro!
2014 Astro.png

thegreenmachine requested that he would like to see it as a tahoe front end.

#20 ·
I have come to the conclusion that I like the Tahoe one better then the Yukon one, it just is much more rugged looking.

#21 ·
SilverBullet1997 said:
I have come to the conclusion that I like the Tahoe one better then the Yukon one, it just is much more rugged looking.
Both of the are soccer moms cars :)

#23 ·
Due to a request(not going to name names *Cough: CargoCrawler*), I had to make this abomination... Sorry. I apologize in advance.
abomination.png

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.