Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Cracked armrests

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  bond 
#1 ·
I had issues with my newly purchased 05 safari. one was the locks not working and after reading all the posts, I fixed it myself without having to go to the dealer! Time to give back to this forum. The cracked arm rests were next. They looked horrible and my elbow while driving rested on the cracks. So here is a few pics of the plastic cutting boards sheets I used with 3M 77 spray adhesive. Spent a $1.55 at Tuesdays department store for a pack of 4 cutting board plastics sheets in various colors. Made a cardboard template that would cover the cracked areas. Red looked the best, then traced the cardboard template with a black marker and cut out on the inside of the black marker line with standard house hold scissors. No prepping of the arm rest was necessary. I decided to leave the textured side up to match the textured surface of the original plastic interior. I sprayed a light coat of adhesive to the smooth side, let it get tackey for a few minutes then put over cracked armrest. After a day in place the corners were lifting off so I pulled them off and resprayed with a very thick coat. Worked awesome, the pics are one month ago. Hope this helps

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Ooo, interesting. Mine's doing the same thing only on 1 side :shrug:
Did you just cut it outright? No smoothing out the corners or anything?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.