Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Diffuser plate for intake help

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Stroverlander 
#1 ·
I didn't do all my homework and jumped into this mod.

Well I was trimming away going to cut half the Intake Diffuser plate off. The bench grinder broke a the rivet. So I removed the whole Diffuser. I put bolt and nut through the 2 open holes and torqued the crap out of all of it.

Well It was rainy today and I really got to feel the lack of array in lower torque. ( I need a new plate. )

Do they sell the plate individually ?

Also How important is using the red lock-tight ?

#6 ·
Ok I originally took it off to grind it down half way to get more pep and HP. Then The bench grinder popped the rivet off so I tore it all off. I plugged the holes with bolts and nuts. I took it for a drive rainy and wet out. When making turns or going from a stop It just had to much lurch, There was to much potential for an inexperienced driver to lose traction. Not that I am in a habit of letting others drive but If I took the seats out all the rear weight I would lose traction myself. Some of the questions I had were pertaining to the lock tight (if its necessary)?

After realigning the Coin in the TB and putting the fabricated diffuser shown above It helped a little. I was wondering were do they sell this part? (The coin with diffuser attached for the throttle body )

#7 ·
Ok in reality, yesterday I raced my bosses GMC canyon and won but it was to slow in the lower end. I was doing it to get some extra pull on the fool. Teach him to pass me LOL. I might let the ponys gallop once in awhile but I don't like to dog out my Astro-just teach people to respect it- when they pass me like jerks. I thought pulling the diffuser was to much lurch while it may be good for all out. I mainly use my Astro to putt around town and generally take care ovher. ( So I am trying to find the stock part.)

The picture above is a completely fabricated diffuser not the original..

#8 ·
I removed that piece in my '97, it was loose and causing a sticky throttle. I never noticed any issues with throttle response after that.

If it seems like a problem, try disconnecting the battery for 30+ minutes and letting the PCM reset to relearn all the newly released horsepower goblins. :D

Salvage yard would be the place I'd be looking for another throttle body.

#11 ·
I think the acceleration issue at launch was partially due to miss aligned throttle body coin. I think I had it sticking a little. I would be happy with the current configuration but I don't know how long the nuts will stay on the threads. The recommendation for the lock thread, is it necessary ?

I also noticed you guys are running the AWD on oversized tires. I think the differences in safety/lurching differ for the 2wd with stock tires.

#13 ·
akmo23 said:
I think the acceleration issue at launch was partially due to miss aligned throttle body coin. I think I had it sticking a little. I would be happy with the current configuration but I don't know how long the nuts will stay on the threads. The recommendation for the lock thread, is it necessary ?

I also noticed you guys are running the AWD on oversized tires. I think the differences in safety/lurching differ for the 2wd with stock tires.
My '97 was stock but there really shouldn't be any issue from removing the plate. If it's sticking then that is different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.