Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

May be a dumb ?? About my air intake 1990 astro

5K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  StormVet91 
#1 ·
I have a 1990 astro. the box that holds my air filter. in the front has a flap deal that blocks the entire airway into the filter. You can see it when you take off the tube...
When is that supposed to open up??? I push on the gas it doesnt open... I dont even know if thats when it does...
Who knows ?
Also my engine has been running a little hotter im wondering if that could help me out....
Heres a picture...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Not dumb BTW, only dumb question is the one not asked.
Do you have the snorkel hooked up? if not your getting warm air anyway but that vent is ducted to pick up air from around the exhaust manifold so with it closed it's breathing super hot air.
Jam a screwdriver in to hold it open and see if it helps when the van is at operating temp.

#5 ·
It's a worn out smog item. The idea was to pull hot air from around the exhaust manifold when the engine is cold. It is supposed to help warm the engine up faster. But it appears to be malfunctioning. The device to pull the flapper open when the engine is up to full temp is dead or disconnected. Depending on where you live you may not have to worry about it. JB weld it open and off you go. BTW how did you get your alternator up on top of the intake? Must be tough routing the belts!

#7 ·
Hondozer said:
I have a 1990 astro. the box that holds my air filter. in the front has a flap deal that blocks the entire airway into the filter. You can see it when you take off the tube...
When is that supposed to open up??? I push on the gas it doesnt open... I dont even know if thats when it does...
Who knows ?
Also my engine has been running a little hotter im wondering if that could help me out....
Heres a picture...
What I want to know is how did you get the beans above the frank? :rofl:

#8 ·
I guess you could call that an Oops ! ^^^ But, it looks OK when I look at while standing upside down :poke:

Uncle Bob

#10 ·
What I was going to say, but didn't: Was it a difficult engine installation ? Or, did you have 'professional' help ?

Uncle Bob

#13 ·
Hondozer said:
What do you mean the beans above the franks?
Leeann_93 said:
Your pic was upside down. Beans and frank refers to a certain area of male anatomy...
Just giving you a hard time for posting your picture upside down :D Welcome to the site!! :lol:

#15 ·
You're getting air, no worries.

Here's the "North of the Equator" version of your pic -

The silver foil looking courrugated hose about 1 1/2 inch in diameter (outlined in yellow above) attaches to the BOTTOM of the air cleaner snorkel. That's the hose that pulls HOT air from around the exhaust manifold that the others are talking about. You can test it if you like by blowing some hot air into it from something like a hair dryer or a hot air heat shrink gun. When the little gizmo heats up it flips the metal door and allows air in from the FRONT of the snorkel (the opening in your pic).

Mine has a dab of JB weld on it to simply hold it open. It doesn't get cold in Phoenix.

Lump

#16 ·
my astro also warmed slightly and felt a little choked suddenly I saw that my tube had the same problem there that you and i this time decided to put a new cold air intake from tbi chevy suburban and the acceleration is better and more cold engine ..

Attachments

#17 ·
Here is what i thought of that little door getting stuck. I got rid of it and the housing. It is nothing but a problem. Mine starts and runs just fine in 25 below. It isn't needed period. Take it off. Force it open and put a sheet metal screw in to hold it open. DONE.

air filter.jpg

#18 ·
Well, its a bypass flapper curcuit. Like the others said it does send warm air into your TBI, from ur exhaust manifold, until the engine reaches its normal operating tempurature. Usually theres a thermo vacuum switch that operates the flapper, but in some cases, and I think this model year van mite be, there mite be a bi-metalic coil, that expands and retracts, depending on the tempurature flowing across the coil, thus causing the flapper to open and shut. It shouldnt have anything to do with ur engine running hot tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.