Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

By passing heater core valve and blower issues

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Lumpy 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Have to say I love this website. You guys are very informative and helpful. 2002 Astro. Im have 2 problems to deal with. First, a leaking plastic heater core valve. Basiclly I want to know if i can bypass it. The van is equipped with rear heat but i never use it as this is my work truck. So I was thinking I could just run the hoses from the engine straight into the heater core with no valve in between. That way I eliminate the rear heater and leaky valve. Another person told me that I will have full heat all the time and to install shut off valves from home depot. Believe it or not it is hot and humid here in Southern Ontario (33 degrees celsius today) . I have the A/C on at all times so I dont want heater on while I'm already self basting in this heat. What should I do.
Second issue : i've been through 4 front blower motor resisters in the last 3 years. I have replaced the blower motor once and the connector for resister twice. The ground wires for the resister and blower have been changed, ( wanted to eliminate POSSIBLE high current resistence in the circuit) . So again im down to speed 3 only. Usually high stops first, then low and medium. Never popped the fuse . Any one here experience that. Have to mention that the resister is sitting correctly and there is air flow over it from the blower . Any ideas ?
I am planning on repairing all these issues this weekend since all these components are in the same area, along with the T-stat , drive belt and pulleys.
Sorry for the massive write up.

See less See more
#2 ·
Part I, heater control valve.
You got it, bypass with 1/2" copper and a valve on one side, plug the vacuum line and forget it except for twice a year.

Part II, blower resistors and plugs.
Buy spares and get over it.... :rofl:

Maybe you'll get lucky and it won't always fail when you need it most.

#3 ·
The rear lines on my '99 were bad from salt exposure. I replaced the rearmost lines, but in doing so finished off the lines that go to the front (there are 2 sets). I got the front set in, but couldn't see how to replace them without dropping the exhaust and tranny.

So I cut out the front set, the hubby soldered up a copper C and I simply connected the hoses together:

image.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.