Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Motor mounts - what do you think?

4K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Stroverlander 
#1 ·
What do you think - how these mounts on my Astro are looking?

Driver side:
d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

Passenger side:
p1.jpg

p2.jpg

:ty:

See less See more
#3 ·
I think....You know better and just want us to tell you that you know better...Nudge, nudge !

Toast, fer crying out loud ! Well, you have read the posts that have come before, and you

know the drill. So gather tools and parts as ye may, and go root under yer truck (Please ?)

As always, keep in touch so we know how much blood you loose, and how many new words

you find. (Makes for excellent bathroom reading, ya know ?)

Good hunting

Uncle Bob

#9 ·
Ahh yes the mount job. I remember it well. I was such a different person before that 3 days came upon me.....

It was sort of a journey into my inner person. Me against rust and hidden bolt heads. I would use all my training and socket extensions. Plus the duct tape on socket u-joint and tiny magnet in the socket tricks.

I can tell you however bad they look now.(yours look bad), they look 10 times worse in the light of day.

You will understand zen and the art of Astro van maintinence.

And be thankful that Chevy didnt allow the motor to fall through the frame to (fully) crush you.

#10 ·
Q: What are the three hardest jobs to do on the Astro/Safari platform ?

C'mon guys and gals...be honest !

Uncle Bob

#11 ·
smokinjoe said:
Ahh yes the mount job. I remember it well. I was such a different person before that 3 days came upon me.....

It was sort of a journey into my inner person. Me against rust and hidden bolt heads. I would use all my training and socket extensions. Plus the duct tape on socket u-joint and tiny magnet in the socket tricks.

I can tell you however bad they look now.(yours look bad), they look 10 times worse in the light of day.

You will understand zen and the art of Astro van maintinence.

And be thankful that Chevy didnt allow the motor to fall through the frame to (fully) crush you.
I used 15 wrench on 5 out of 6 engine mount bolts. 1 bolt (top on driver side) could be reached by socket. :)

And Thankfully on AWD Astros engine can't crush you - I did check... :)

But this job certainly makes everything else look like piece of cake... :banana:

#13 ·
markmitch said:
I did mind with engine out. I installed red poly bushings.
Piece of cake, but you can't find zen if you do it that way as smokinjoe indicated. :)

BTW I seem to notice difference, maybe it is in my mind only, but I don't feel the lag anymore - acceleration is smooth and more instant when gas is applied. :driving:

#14 ·
Tegnus, since you've tackled AWD engine mounts...

Did you have to remove the engine mount plate (bolted to engine) on the passenger side to remove that motor mount? I'm looking at mine right now trying to determine the best way to tackle this. Started out as an oil pan gasket replacement... :eek:

#15 ·
Corsemoto said:
Tegnus, since you've tackled AWD engine mounts...

Did you have to remove the engine mount plate (bolted to engine) on the passenger side to remove that motor mount? I'm looking at mine right now trying to determine the best way to tackle this. Started out as an oil pan gasket replacement... :eek:
I just removed center bolt + 3 bolts that hold clamshell in place (frame side). Used wrench a lot, no fancy tools, extensions etc... It's slower I guess, but worked fine for me.

Oil pan gasket is on list for me as well. Let me know how it goes! :)

#21 ·
That brings back horrible memories. mine were so bad when I bought my van that my oil pan was resting on front diff and the engine was cocked so bad. what a pain to get the engine back in place. Here are some pictures and text from an old thread of the carnage.

i have what i would call issues with my front differential, I was clued off to these issues due to a torn passenger side half shaft boot. when i went take out the first of the six bolts holding the half shaft to the axle the whole differential moved. the boot tore due to the boot, halfshaft flange and axle flange grinding about a 1/4" out of the under side of my passenger side motor mount. What caused the axle to shift you might ask? here are the pictures of what i found. I cannot believe the awd worked, with no vibrations, and that the diff did not fall out of the van.

first - the passenger side axle tube to subframe mount

second - just for reference the passenger side upper front diff mount

the driver's side upper diff mount

Third - besides the chunk taken out of the passenger side motor mount, the oil pan took a beating, how there is not a hole due to a bolthead of the diff housing beating my oil pan, i will never know.

[/quote]

#22 ·
offroad safari said:
That brings back horrible memories. mine were so bad when I bought my van that my oil pan was resting on front diff and the engine was cocked so bad. what a pain to get the engine back in place. Here are some pictures and text from an old thread of the carnage.

i have what i would call issues with my front differential, I was clued off to these issues due to a torn passenger side half shaft boot. when i went take out the first of the six bolts holding the half shaft to the axle the whole differential moved. the boot tore due to the boot, halfshaft flange and axle flange grinding about a 1/4" out of the under side of my passenger side motor mount. What caused the axle to shift you might ask? here are the pictures of what i found. I cannot believe the awd worked, with no vibrations, and that the diff did not fall out of the van.

first - the passenger side axle tube to subframe mount

second - just for reference the passenger side upper front diff mount

the driver's side upper diff mount

Third - besides the chunk taken out of the passenger side motor mount, the oil pan took a beating, how there is not a hole due to a bolthead of the diff housing beating my oil pan, i will never know.
My oil pan was hitting the front diff too, good thing I caught it!

The engine was also cocked and too far back thanks to the rubber mounts shifting. The passenger side was about 1/4" off and the driver side 3/8" or so. I was able to use a large flat blade screwdriver between the engine bracket and motor mount so it would lower into place. On the driver side, I had to use a ratchet strap with loop around engine bracket to try and pull the engine forward while lowering plus the screwdriver and prybar to drop into place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.