Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

What have you done with your other vehicles today.

236K views 3K replies 180 participants last post by  sixsix 
#1 ·
Since we all have other vehicles.
And we all basically work on our own stuff.
And we talk about it on the forum.
I modeled this thread after the infamous . "What have you done to your van today" Thread for just such emergencies and what not.

Well since my van is mothballed right now till warm weather. I been driving the truck. I having the same as the van did before. When it is this cold, 6-16 degrees the truck just don't get warm long. Heater suffering. I going to put a piece of cardboard in the radiator today. When you stop driving the temp gauge drops and the heater is Poo-Poo. And it is loading up from being cold and idling so much warming up. One good throttle application and it fine, but after a few days of kid glove idling around it just dont run the same.

Cutting and placing the cardboard all it getting for now. As my baby is hogging up the heat in the garage and she is not coming out. And I sure am not standing outside looking for and modifying a heater control valve in 15 degree weather. So I will deal with it when it gets to 40 degrees or above. For for now we are good.

If anyone feels I was wrong starting this thread. In my back yard I have a large supply of pitchforks and torches. Some rocks in a pile. Feel free to come by and run me out of town on a rail. We will be serving beverage of your choice and snacks before the stoning commences. Please RSVP promptly so I know to get additional pitchforks and torches. We have a unexhaustable supply of rocks. I hope everyone enjoys the event.

Thank You.
The soon to be stoned.
:whack:

See less See more
#678 ·

This actually was somewhat easier than expected Under 3 hours easy. Amazing. It's a Hurst shifter, I believe it to be an OEM one. I will say this, I got some repop shifter levers from Inline Tube off ebay and they work perfectly with it. All I need are some cotter pins and washers and it's in. I had to punch the floor, drill the holes bigger, sawzall it into the shape you see it in and install the shifter. This Hurst is HUGE. It's even bigger when you install it. I know there's a hump that was OEM for this setup, so I'm only somewhat surprised the way it is but still. Now the only question is how screwed am I on being able to shift with this in a position that's comfortable due to having a bucket seat shifter handle. It gives full motion when set up as is, but the seat is all the way back.

#681 ·
chevymaher said:
paulo57509 said:
Went out after a late dinner and washed the LS400. Noticed that water wasn't beading up so I waxed it.
I feel your pain.
I hate when that happens to.
It happens all the time when the wife has it washed at the car wash place. I don't know what they use as soap but it seems to strip wax right off. And I use Maguire's Gold Class liquid wax which is supposed to be decent stuff.

I used to use Collinite No. 915 but I can afford that stuff anymore.

My fault, though. When she hints around that the car is dirty I need to get off my duff and get busy.

#683 ·
Cut up the one shifter arm, did a little work on it and threw it in there. The adjustment is somewhat off, but it could be the age of the shifter. The center pin is flat out worn out. Gotta order another one. I have to granny shift it, but it does give me 1-3 and reverse so that's an upgrade. The coolant temp light came on just as I hit the street I live on, and it definitely was boiling the water in the rad. A bit over 5 miles. It looks as if it's definitely leaking from the timing cover. Could also be hot because it seems lean, I think I'm going to change the gas filter and find out how much sediment is in it. I had a guy at the gas station who was amazed I had a car like this in this condition.

#684 ·
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1406522281.177376.jpg

Negotiations have begun.

Doesn't run. And hasn't since '07.

Has some fuel related issue.

It's a 99.

Bought new by the owner with ( supposedly) 35,000km

I've offered 400$ and in an unusual twist, I will have to build a privacy screen between the neighbors. As the van is acting as one now.
(Thanks auntie Wendy)

And somehow clear 16 cubic yards of gravel before I can even get a tow truck there.

Hmmm.

#685 ·
thegreenmachine said:

Negotiations have begun.

Doesn't run. And hasn't since '07.

Has some fuel related issue.

It's a 99.

Bought new by the owner with ( supposedly) 35,000km

I've offered 400$ and in an unusual twist, I will have to build a privacy screen between the neighbors. As the van is acting as one now.
(Thanks auntie Wendy)

And somehow clear 16 cubic yards of gravel before I can even get a tow truck there.

Hmmm.
That van looks way to cool to be sitting in that condition....sad ...btw mr green machine thought you were getting out of the astro game? Or do you just want a new project? Btw 400 for that would be a steal as a scraper would give 250 for a plain jane no ground effect or aftermarket tail lights...good luck

#687 ·
Just finished doing the drivers side tie rods/sleeve and sway link ( Sway link is a pain, why don't they give the bolt just 1 more thread ? ) finally got it… Tie rods were easy…
My alignment has been trash ever since I hit a deer a couple years ago… Plan was to put in new tie rods and realign. Today after 4-5 trial and error adjustments, the steering wheel is straight again, for the first time in 2 years. I had thought back then, that maybe the frame got bent.
Next will be passenger side, and a real alignment once I get 4 new tires.

Thought this was the other thread … I did this work on my 2002 Astro today….. My other vehicle is a 69 K10 project in many pieces…

#690 ·
been tinkering with the 01 blazer seeing why it had stopped running, I did find it the cause of the problem a bad splice in main power feed to the pump motor. DOH! now it fires up and purrs like a loud kitten (an exhaust leak). I think the neighbors hate me! been driving the 99 voyager for my job poor van has way too many miles on it now all Im doing is exacerbating the problem

#691 ·
Today my "other vehicle" is a 2 wheel manure cart. Flat tire on one side. Valve stem is DOA. So, I borrowed a wheel and tire from my portable compressor with the same size wheels and switched it over. Voila! 4 bushels of horse poo picked up and moved to compost.

Tools required for the wheel and tire change, ONE pair of dikes. Even re-used the old cotter pin.

Lumpoo

#692 ·
The old Mustang Convertible I mention from time to time. She threw a shoe on the freeway.
Had to go make a emergency run to save her. Good thing she didn't break a leg so we'd have to shoot her.

Tire separated so i just got myself into some more bodywork. Beat the lower fender up pretty good.

Good thing that girl is my best friend's granddaughter.

#701 ·
Drove the 2006 matrix to work today. ( as usual. ) realized I have 2 payments left.

Kinda nice to know.

Anyway, here's a pic of some post notching. With the matrix on the left side.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1409366165.147545.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1409366220.218515.jpg