Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Question about making panel van

8K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  WDMICKJR 
#1 ·
have a question, has anyone took the rear side widows out of there van and filled them in with metal to make a panel van. I have the 94 Mark3 conversion astro, and I really would rather have it as a panel van.

#2 ·
I'm sure someone has done that but it would be a challenge to get the body creases in a piece of sheet metal. Those conversion vans usually cut below the crease in the side panel for the windows. You may need to get a donor van and cut panels out of it....in that case you might as well get a new van. This is just body work, but seems like more work than its worth.

You could just remove the windows and armor the sides with diamond plating:

...just go up a little higher!

#5 ·
I wanted to do the same thing, only just to one side of my van, making what they used to call a "display van"... Reason for me was that I have some camping equipment on the left side that blocks the windows anyway, and it would be easier to position vents and fillers where I want them if the windows weren't in the way on that side... I figured I probably couldn't realistically afford to have it done well, and wouldn't want to have duckstar's experience....

#7 ·
Duckstar said:
Here's the worst side after I started to strip the paint and filler! Gavio, how about replacing the glass with black or dark smoke perspex on the left it would look stock(ish) and would be easy enough to add vents etc?
OUCH!! That's quite a booboo!! Were you aware of this when you purchased the van?

#8 ·
Gavio, how about replacing the glass with black or dark smoke perspex on the left it would look stock(ish) and would be easy enough to add vents etc?
I thought of that, but I don't think it would be very easy to get it to hold the curve, and if it doesn't, it would be a leaking nightmare....

Besides, I thought I could have the best of both worlds, cargo and passenger :D

Ulitmately, though, I decided much less cost and effort to just come up with workarounds for my other installations....

#9 ·
Yeah I knew it needed a little work! It had started to crack a bit but as I was going to be modifying it anyway so I wasn't put off by the work needed and the price was right too.
I figured the last couple of owners had neglected it a little and if I hadn't taken pity on it it would have been left to rot!
I'm replacing those panels with new steel, though I like how the recessed part where the windows were has been filled so I'm going to make a panel which will start recessed at the window then step out to meet the rest of the body, I'm then going to add a set of lovers from a gen1 RS to keep it all looking flush!

#16 ·
What I would do is take the glass panel out and use it as template and a mold to make a fiberglass panel. You would get the exact curvature and geometry of the panel that you need. Its as simple as covering the glass with a relase agent and then you spread your mesh and resin in layers over the glass until you get the desired thickness.

You can use standard sheet metal to keep everything reinforced on the inside and then attach your finished fiberglass panel to the metal.

#17 ·
Astro'88' LT-RS bowtie262 UK.jpg
My 1988 Astro LT sports an RS 'look'. This problem of panelling in the rear quarter windows had me thinking for quite a time. Low on funds, I had to attempt something myself.
I went the route of fibreglass panels molded on the original glass, then bonded the panels into place with a resin/filler mix and fibreglassed the internals (so the panel couldn't 'pop' out !)

Removing the original (fixed) glass without breaking them was quite a challenge. The rubbers are bonded in place & the plastic/rubber trim isn't the part that holds everything together.

Over time my attempts have proved that the job needs to be done properly. My panels have suffered a bit ! The edges (where they are recessed against the metal body) have cracked over time. This has allowed moisture into the joints. I feel the fibreglass panels might expand and contract at different rates to the exterior metal of the van ! One day I'll get around to making it all good again. The alternative would be to make up some steel panels, but with a curve in both directions, it would require some work with an "English Wheel" or similar.

Good luck with your project,, update us with photos as you go along.

#20 ·
Astro'88' LT-RS ASTRO 1988.jpg

In reply to Duckstar,,

The louvres on my van are homemade, simple UPVC / plasticised PVC strip (as used in glazing /building /cladding etc) wrapped in carbon fibre effect vinyl. Three on each side. Warmed slightly to soften, then fixed with silicone (hold in position for 24 hours). Obviously they aren't replicas of the RS louvers, but they look OK from across the street !!!

#21 ·
You've done a really good job there, like I said it almost looks factory. I got a set of RS louvres from the states which I'm going to fit once I've replaced the side panels. I was considering pulling a mold from them to make a set in carbon fibre but think I'm just going to stick with black!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.