Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Idle vent temp question for people who live in +90 degrees

5K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  ANTIQUECASTLE 
#1 ·
I've never had good a/c since I bought the van in 06. I'm on my 3rd compressor, just had the system flushed and replaced the condenser as it was original.

At hot start up on a Florida peak heat 93+ day, 104 heat index, letting it idle for about 15 min with a/c on max I get 60 degree air out of the vents. Internal temp of the van was 120 according to my thermometer. Ambient was 94.

Drive for a while in peak heat and I get down to about 42 degree temps coming out of the vent. Stop at a light and it goes up to 50 out of the vents.

Fan clutch is new, a/c system has been flushed, o-tube and receiver dryer replaced. Pressures at idle at 85 ambient were 42 & 220 which is in spec on r134a charts.

Is this thing just a big box with a tiny A/C system?

For those in hot areas, what are your vent temps?

#27 ·
Looks like it was it was down a can. I don't think it has a leak as the performance was consistent since my mechanic put it all back together.

Now at idle, from start sitting in the driveway it will pull down to 50. This matches the performance of my new 2014 car. The car is a funny story for another time. I bought the cheapest car possible in the US.

Driving it pulled down to the mid 30's. Also matching the performance of the car.

From cruise to idle it takes about 10 min to creep up to 50 but holds cool enough at a stop light. Again matching the performance of the car.

My wife thought I was nuts running both cars, taking readings and driving all over the place but it was the only way to get a baseline.

My guess is based on the readings today he filled it to the low side reading of the chart. Even after adding a can I'm right in the middle of the chart. Probably could squeeze in another half can but don't want to dust one.

Will see how it goes. I might try the test with the electric fan again to see if I can get some better idle temps.

#28 ·
Hank said:
Oh snap, I just had a thought. Where is the door that closes off the vent to pull outside air on max?

I can see the door open on the passenger floor but I did get some diesel smell inside today when behind a school bus.
THat door is on the passenger side, belw the dash, and in the corner of foot well.
Hank said:
I have pondered if stuff gets sucked up from the floor. My airflow id ok but I would not say great. Since I'm in SWFL, it has always been on max/recycle so I would guess it should be clean but you never know.

What would be the easiest way to get to that side of the evaporator? Pull the blower fan or split the case?
Split the case to reveal the side of the evap that collect debri. that evap caught hell from leaves falling in and being sucked up. I would leave it on fresh air intake back when I smoked. Also the recycle vent will suck up walmart bags as shown in the pic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.