Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Transmission Swap--Opinion

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  02GMCSafari 
#1 ·
I have owned 5 Astro Safari Vans since 92 and have never had a problem with the Transmission until this week-- My 05 went out and I have been shopping hard trying to find a replacement- I found the GM Goodwrench rebuilt a fellow put in his 98 and totaled it with about 35k on the tranny. The only difference I see is the Electrical plug going to the neutral safety switch is nt quite the same --Ill try to upload a pic--Im guessing I can just use the one on the trans coming out..Any issues here. I have never swapped a transmission but I have been hands on for 20 years soooo probably a bit over my head but going after it anyway. Wife wants me to go take it to someone but I can get this one for about $500. Thanks for any helpful comments,
102_0080.JPG
102_0079.JPG

See less See more
#3 ·
About 35K on the tranny? I would spend another $500 and get the right one with ZERO miles on it rebuilt. Swapping them is easy for a first timer as long as its the correct one, you have level ground (or an actual tranny jack) and pay VERY close attention to the torque converter while mating to the engine. Torque converter needs to be pushed in and seated properly before mating and bolting up. That and aligning the pins are the only trouble spots.

I got my rebuilt unit from Monster Transmissions. Had it in for a few years now with no issues.

#4 ·
Yea, that's probably the smart way to go-- But I use it in business and its all about getting to 200k miles while spending as little as practical-- Hell for an extra grand I could get someone to rebuild it in my driveway while I sat on the couch and watched the ballgame with their sister. OK just having a little fun- what your saying makes sense- more than you think-- I change a rear end on an 02 that took me three days and about ten years off my life-- what a savings-- But I will still ponder and wonder if the trans will work in my 05.

#7 ·
Ok- First off, I appreciate your input and reply. This is a tad over my head but I think I can get it done--I have treated all the bolts with a delayed viscosity aerosol grease--which works wonders on rusty bolts. So exhaust coming out OK working on the O2 sensors and starter and I think I wil change ujoints while shaft out-- Supposed to be getting a trans jck in the morning but thought I would try and get the old one out tonite using the many floor jacks I have. Maybe not--well see.
I'll chime back in with an update when I need an excuse to cool off. Thanks again

#8 ·
Please do chime in, that way we know you didn't end up in the hospital or worse :D
The internals of the 4l60e are pretty much the same across the board, the change comes in the valve body and the electrical. That old tranny won't have a tow/haul mode, so that's one major difference. However, if I can mate a 2000 Express van computer into my 98 Astro, it's just a matter of perseverance and a lot of research.

#9 ·
OK- thanks for checking on me, I saw the word hospital so I put up the two bricks and skateboard and will wait on the proper tools in the morning. I don't know if the tranny going in has the tow haul cuz looks like it went in to the 98 sometime after 01. Some guy named Goodwrench assembled it in Nov 00. Something to do with that green plate attached to the tranny--see above. I kinda enjoyed playing with that button- I guess it will still be there--hopefully, the light will still come on. Obviously getting late--will pick this up in the morning, I don't think these air tools have a soothing effect on the sleeping neighbors. Later

#10 ·
I will post a couple short followups. Strangely, the transmission seems to have the tow-haul thing going on. Whats even stranger is that everything is working great without any glitches so far. I feel like I have been in a slugfest and won a fifteen round majority decision. Took this DIY two days with minimal help. I was expecting a few more unexpected roadblocks but the feared wiring or other x-factor problem didn't materialize.. Victory is sweet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.