Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Need quality replacement speakers.

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  pauldeere 
#1 ·
I got a buzzer in the back when the tunes need some bass. I'm not sure if the speaker was already blown or if I'm the responsible party. However, I'm willing to blame someone else. Actually, I haven't really turned up the music that loud, but when I tried to push it, it pushed back. :blah:

Anyway, what are good quality speakers that will replace the factory speakers. I don't need to rattle the car next to me. I'd prefer to stick with the factory size speakers but I'm not afraid of doing some modifications. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
This is very funny. And I do like to jam my stereo and rattle the car next to me. My door speakers rotted out the foam surround out at the outside edge of the speaker cones where they attach to the speaker frame. I gooped up the area a quarter inch thick with clear 100% silicone caulk all the way around. I let it tack for about 20 minutes and then I cranked the stereo for an hour so the cone movement would self center the cones as the silicone set up. Been great now for several more years. Ken

#4 ·
pauldeere said:
Was in the market myself. need to replace both front door speakers. All I want is a good replacement speaker at a decent price. I notice that all the Auto Supply stores carry the 6 1/2" speaker for around 30.00 a pair, are these speakers worth messing with?
My Dad has no complaints. I got a set of 30 dollar specials for his firebird, from Wal Mart. Because one of the original speakers was making that nasty rattling electronic burning up sound.
Been about 5 years they sound as good as factory.

#6 ·
I wasn't implying using the wrong sized speakers and a chain saw. I paid 30 for dads and they were a direct bolt in. I got my vans speakers for 30 bucks online direct bolt in. 150W waterproof boat speakers. They sound good down the street. Been in there about 6 years and not a problem.

#8 ·
Just dont buy to high wattage speakers if you intend to keep oem head unit , rather go for quality for same price , if you dont have the upgrade front tweeters go for 3 or 4 ways and your golden .

#9 ·
I took it apart to clean it up and find out what I got...
20141007_165106.jpg

20141007_165250.jpg

20141007_165058.jpg

20141007_165257.jpg

By the name of them, they are either top notch or bottom basement. They have nice cones but the magnets aren't all that special. Hmmm.

I did some research and turned up nothing. Ok, so they are discontinued or the manufacturer went under. I checked eBay to get a clue on the age, and nothing...

...I kept digging and found someone that bought a pair. They felt that they were scammed. The person liked the sound quality but had buyers remorse. They bought them from the stereotypical white van and couldn't get their money back. It turns out that the more I dug, the more stories that I found just like it. The bottom line is that you can't buy these speakers at any store or any other dealer. You can only buy them from some shady dude in a white van that was passing through the parking lot that you happened to be in.

...great.

At least I didn't actually have to get in the dumpster.

...but the speaker still smells like a homeless guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.