Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Let's talk about driving lights.

12K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  opelbits 
#1 ·
I travel quite a bit in my Astro, about 30,000 miles last year, and I've never been satisfied with the pattern thrown by the headlights on my 02. Which driving lights have people added that helped make night time driving safer?

#2 ·
The trick about true driving lights, is not about how bright they may appear, but rather the focused throw down the highway. Don't let some of these LED imitators fool you! Most cast an omni-directional or spot pattern. True head lights and driving lights have a fairly sharp focused cutoff line pattern.

#4 ·
I completely agree, factory lighting is horrible. I added PIAA lamps (on a switch) that have high & low beams and are yellowish light. The make a HUGE improvement in ability to see anything when it's raining hard, snowing etc, w/o having to blind folks coming the other way.

I am running the best bulbs I can find in the factory lights and they are still pathetic. The beam pattern is just really really bad.

Attachments

#7 ·
Funny someone would mention PIAA... they are the ONLY brand I am considering for LED driving lights (for my bike). They appear to be one of the very few, (if not the only) company that offers LED driving lights with true "reflective" technology. I'm looking for something with higher light output (than my halogens) and lower wattage draw, but with real focused light pattern for long throw.

I have no doubt they are tops in their game, regardless of halogen or LED technology.

#8 ·
I have been considering adding the OEM fog lights from my Bravada or my '93 Astro onto my '02. The dimples are in the bumper cover...just have to cut them out. Then wire up the switch, which I'd also take from the Bravada or Astro.

I have the same complaint with my Jeep Liberty, but that has bumper-mounted fogs (like the pics above) so I just turn them on when driving at night.

#9 ·
mervchapman said:
I completely agree, factory lighting is horrible. I added PIAA lamps (on a switch) that have high & low beams and are yellowish light. The make a HUGE improvement in ability to see anything when it's raining hard, snowing etc, w/o having to blind folks coming the other way.

I am running the best bulbs I can find in the factory lights and they are still pathetic. The beam pattern is just really really bad.
I like those Hellas. I'll try to find them around here (Boulder) before leaving for Minnesota next week ( where the deer line the highways). Whey you mounted your PIAA's did you need to put a spacer under the plastic covering the bumper?

#10 ·
No spacer on the front bumper, just drilled a pilot hole and then clearance for the mounting bolt. The beam pattern is good and it's nice to have the auto-switch from low-high-low beams for oncoming traffic.

Be aware the headlights on these vans are wired w/ switched-ground, not switched +12V btw...

#11 ·
Is a relay needed for LED lighting? I'm thinking an install is much easier and less wiring to deal with, if it's just a properly rated dash switch…
I'm interested in the PIAA lighting in the rear as well as some from driving lights… LED's seem great, less draw. For camping they're ideal, much less worry of running down the battery too far.

#14 ·
I bought some of those aftermarket headlights. One of them had the reflector assembly glued in upside down. That was in-line with the overall quality and beam pattern. Don't waste your time or money on them. You are much better off just getting better bulbs for the factory ones. I returned them and went back to stock. At least they are glass.

I've often wondered if any of the newer gmc/ cadillac headlights would fit..

#15 ·
I've always had improved lights on my vehicles starting with my 72 big block GMC pickup. I've never liked adding driving lights to attract attention but just upgraded the stock sealed beams to halogens and bigger halogens to replace factory halogens. And all have been wired to turn the low beams back on when the high beams are activated. Some vehicles had separate fused circuits for high and low beams so that was pretty easy to do without much wiring. My Astro has only one fuse for the headlights so I feel it is doing enough just to run two bulbs at a time. I added a fused relay to activate the low beams when I grab the high beams. Both the 9005 and 9006 bulbs are 100 watts but no problem with the 105 amp alternator. Yes, the beams may not be so efficient in the standard composite lamp assemblies but brute force can accomplish much.

#17 ·
Okay, I took care of a few other van issues and now I can refocus on my unacceptable lighting situation.
I installed Sylvania something or other bulbs and they are an improvement but don't make up for the crappy pattern. I've always been satisfied with high beam performance and don't need to do anything there.
Other vehicles have factory installed driving lights. My Silverado had them and they were invaluable. On the lower air dam on the van I see plastic indents where factory installed lights may have been located.
Are there factory driving lights for this van?
How about suggestions for a decent quality set of LED driving lights to supplement the low beams?

#18 ·
Gen 1 has lights there. They sell the lights and wiring for them. They have a simple bracket that you would attach to the rear of the bumper. A simple one wire and ground hook up. I have LED's in mine now with clear lenses.
E Bay and auto parts places also have many options. Google fog lights. It brings up driving lights that fit in the fog light spots.
IMAG1030.jpg

#19 ·
chevymaher said:
Gen 1 has lights there. They sell the lights and wiring for them. They have a simple bracket that you would attach to the rear of the bumper. A simple one wire and ground hook up. I have LED's in mine now with clear lenses.
E Bay and auto parts places also have many options. Google fog lights. It brings up driving lights that fit in the fog light spots.
I wonder where I'd find a part number, if one exists.

#21 ·
Check out pilotautomotive they have all kinds of lights for cheap , they are made in china and you can buy em on amazone , i installed a set on my motorcycle and for the size theyr awsome 30$ , i just bought a set of http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... 20NV-802Cp ,tested em last night and they are strong lights , a bit kinda focus ,i d like a beam thats a thad wider ,but i can make do , or exchange them for another model not sure yet but those are 100 watts each ,knowing my self ill keep those and add some in the bottom of the cover like Leeann described , all i know is the ones on the bike have been working flawlessly and came with nice brackets and wireing kit , they are well made , of course on the van s bumber in the snow and slush and salt and what not it might be a diffrent story ,but at less than 50$ a pair ill give em a go and see , here s the one s i have on the bike they are as strong as the van s light .
http://www.pilotautomotive.com/lighting ... EWceyKG_Yo

#22 ·
MrBob said:
Anybody installed those so-called Projector headlights listed by the dozens on eBay?
I have a set and to be honest they are garbage they look cool but as far as output itself it cuts about 60% of all light going trough just because the way they are made.
astro lights.JPG
They put all the stuff in front of the lenses so it does not let light out efficiently. But oh well they look good and they are one piece which i like never have to take the corner housing off by itself anymore.

Also i have a set of Hella 500ff That have the clear glass and those are like high beams at night specially after i modded the wiring to 10ga. I had them for about five years now and i haven't changed the bulbs on them yet so they are pretty durable.

#24 ·
five10freak said:
I installed hella 500FF driving lights on a CARR lightwing, also modified the hellas to use HID bulbs, I went with 3k for color( amber). i have them aim fairly low but the light output onto the road is awesome.

Not clear on the difference between the Hella 500's and the 500ff's. Free internet cookie if you can explain the difference.

#26 ·
unrreal said:
The difference is the front lens The regular 500 come with the thick lens that diffuses the light (like the factory lenses) and the 500ff have the clear glass on them. Do a quick google search and look at the pics you'll see what i mean.
Do I get leftover cookies for adding: FF denotes Free Form reflector. Historically, headlights used a simple parabolic reflector and relied on faceted glass lenses to alter the distribution of the light pattern. With their FF series, Hella carefully designed a complex reflector to shape the light pattern which could then be capped with a simple clear lens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.