Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

how do I run a carb and 4l60e!???????????

16K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
I want to swap for v8 and run my transmission has anyone run with this idea

#9 ·
400 bucks for a trans controller that works independently of the engine computer. Only other option is 2 toggle switches and shift manually.
So the stand alone trans thing will get it to shift in the correct rpm’s ? I had a shop swap out my v6 vortec from my 95 gmc Sierra too a 5.7 vortec v8 with a 4l60e it runs w it doesn’t shift till I get it too 4000 rpm’s need too know what too buy so it shifts at the correct rpm’s in overdrive (automatic)

#4 ·
There are 2 servos in the trans. The gears are selected by one or the other or both or neither being activated.
One other thing is the torque converter lockup. They have cheaper kits for those or another switch works.

Summit and Jegs have trans controllers.

Here is the shifting pattern for the trans.

4L60E shift pattern.jpg

4L80E is the same but here a guy driving a truck without a computer.
9:32 he actually driving.

#7 ·
I have a 95 astro with a 4160e trans and installed a v8 out of a 96 impala they all use the same trans. when I got the engine I got all the computers and wiring. I wanted to stay with fuel injection. The last van I did I used a carbureted engine and used the early trans that is not computer controlled. you can get a used early trans and put in a shift kit. use the converter that was on the trans. you can also use a aftermarket higher stall converter. you didn't say how you want to use your van. why a carb? hope this helps.

#8 ·
Of course the perfect trans for carbureted engine is the 700R4. My V8 and trans love each other. Lockup works automatically too! No computers or switches needed whatsoever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.