Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

blower fan runs intermittently

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Leeann_93 
#1 ·
My 2002 Astro van blower fan works intermittently. When it works - all speeds work fine. After reviewing this website, I checked the harness connector and blower resistor/relay and they are like new so no problem there that can be seen. When we hit a bump in the road, it will suddenly start working fine. Then after the van is stopped, upon restart, it isn't working again. Any ideas?

#4 ·
Before spending $ on a blower, check the ground tab on the blower itself. Mine had been acting similarly, I broke down and cleaned it today. Works fine again. Even if you DO need a blower motor (which is still a strong possibility), you need to clean the ground connection anyway, right?

#5 ·
This is exactly where I'm at... thanks to this damn cold snap, all of a sudden my blower is acting up, too. I only had High to begin with, I have a bad resistor and haven't ever cared enough to replace it. I have the part, but from what I hear it's a pain.

I'd really like to try and clean up my connections before I take it to the shop. Anyone have any photos to post that might set me off in the right direction? I've been through older posts and most the the pictures are big red X's now... Man I don't want to deal with this in the driveway when it's 20 degrees out. LAME.

#6 ·
Remove the washer fluid & coolant bottle
- Remove the two circular black clips that hold the bottle in place. I used an automotive trim/clip removal tool. A thin prybar or sidecutters will work too.
- Disconnect the coolant overflow hose at the top of the bottle, and unplug the washer fluid pump(s).
- Don't remove the washer fluid pump! You'll leak all of your fluid out.
- You can stand the bottle up on top of the intake duct. It won't fall over.

Unclip the wire harness. Unscrew 2 screws. Pull out, replace.

01-bottles.jpg

02-resistor.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.