Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Does anyone use a Fumoto oil valve for oil changes?

4K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  97cargocrawler 
#1 ·
I have seen these around for quite some time and almost bought a few. After changing the oil today, I think it could be useful. I searched out this site today and didn't find a reference and didn't see anything on the mighty google. So, thoughts?

http://www.fumotousa.com/

See less See more
#3 ·
It is similar to the Quick Oil Change system that was marketed by Fram for a while

several years ago. Actually, I still have them on 2 of my trucks, and I think they are

the best thing that happened since sliced bread sticks ! Don't have any idea why

Fram gave up on them, but they did. I saw some of the metric thread kits @ HF

but of course, they won't fit an Astro oil pan. So, what else is new ?

Uncle Bob

#4 ·
#6 ·
i remember the first time I installed one of those. As I filled the oil I could not help but notice a puddle of clean oil coming towards my feet. Was open when I thought it was closed.
Off it came, now I have to fight to try and find a wrench to fit the drain plug Then I have tto turn the drain plug bolt. It is hell, not sure how i lived without this piece of junk drain valve.

#7 ·
Lots of the Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel) guys install them - something about their pan threads being fragile and the Fumoto is easier. I think they just don't know how to properly tighten an oil drain plug, personally.

I'd never install one on my vehicles. Too easy to not tighten - or get wrong, as above - and too easy to mess with you by twisting it open when you weren't looking. And, especially, too easy for it to fail.

No, thanks.

#9 ·
Leeann_93 said:
I'd never install one on my vehicles. Too easy to not tighten - or get wrong, as above - and too easy to mess with you by twisting it open when you weren't looking. And, especially, too easy for it to fail.

No, thanks.
Absolutely agree with this. In all my years of changing oil on a myriad of vehicles, I've never stripped an oil drain plug.
I always use a torque wrench to tighten oil drain plugs.

I also NEVER trust rubber oil lines (like many models of Astros have) used for oil coolers.

My son had a 1996 S10 with a 4.3 - the factory oil cooler (with its already leaking lines) was the first thing to be removed when he purchased it. There are just too many horror stories about these oil cooler lines failing.

#10 ·
Well, Leeann, one could always cap the valve with a piece of hose and a bolt. No ?

The ones I use are like a check valve that has a cap, for normal use, that must be

removed and then a fitting that opens the check valve screws onto the fitting for

oil changes. I also use a small ball valve on one of the small gas engines that,

due to position on the base makes it difficult to do oil changes w/o it being messy

(I mean swamp-ugly). Also rigged up one for the air comressor for oil changes.

They all work very well. But I do see where you are comng from with this particular

gizmo. However, you would have the option to safety wire the valve closed too.

When we did oil drains on the T-56 Turboprops (P-3 Orion sub hunter aircraft) first thing

was to safety wire a hose to the bottom of the ball valve, then cut the safety wire holding

the valve shut allowing the valve to be opened. Worked as advertised and we never lost an

airplane to low oil level, either.

Uncle Bob

#11 ·
This thread reminded me that I really wanted one of those. After looking around for availability I ended up ordering an EZ branded unit because I'm not a fan of how the brass Fumoto valve looks. The EZ brand has good reviews as well but who knows about internals. Yeah I think a lot could go wrong but having this installed will keep me doing regular oil changes because it will be easy cleanup. I always do an engine flush with each change and the resultant crud shoots out like a 195* firehose into the pan and always gets all over me and the driveway no matter what I rig up to catch it. I always do my own changes (don't trust lube shops) and I always dread the mess, which usually puts off my change past the due date/mileage. So this might be just the thing to keep me regular. I keep a close eye on my gauges so any sudden drop in oil pressure wouldn't go unnoticed for long. For me I think the risk of component failure of the valve is less likely than damage to my engine due to cruddy oil.

#12 ·
People either hate or love the Fumoto.

I have a couple of the old Fram Sure-Drains. One is on the FUBAR'ed pan threads on Legend. The other is on the Lumina. I have a couple of new-in-the-package ones for who knows what they fit on. I like the Sure-Drains.

Dorman makes a similar drain valve called the EZ Drain. I've never seen one except in pictures.

#16 ·
Since you dug it back up Will.

I have used drain valves like these in the past on over the road trucks. They worked great and made changing 10 gallons of oil easy but there are some issues with them.

If you ever go anywhere to get the oil changed and the person in the pit removes it. It is almost guaranteed to leak afterwards because they over tighten them and distort the valve, And like Will mentioned the first trip over a curb or through the back forty could be your last.

I do not do my own oil changes any more. The $30 or so on the van not to deal with the mess is well worth it to me to take it to a quick oil change.

#17 ·
Leeann_93 said:

No, thanks.
COMPLETELY AGREE!!!
How hard is it to change oil? I mean seriously!!!
This is a perfect example of how people often "create their own troubles".
AND what are you going to do about the oil filter??? :shock:

#18 ·
I see why one of these things could look tempting to someone that does their own oil changes. A no tools needed oil change in the driveway does have it's perks. I think with something like this you need to weight the risk vs reward.

Having seen plenty of banged up and scraped oil pans here at work because of Houston's third world roads, I personally wouldn't use one. I think it would be to easy to scrape or break or leak in the conditions here.

#19 ·
I don't think those valves eliminate any hassle/problem. The part about oil change that some want to consider a hassle is the - climb under the van, get the draining oil stream to land in the bucket, disposing of the drained oil. It's not about having or not having a tool. A simple crescent wrench would do the plug. With or without this add on valve thing, you'll still get greasy and have to crawl under your car.

- BUT -

I've got two tools that I think are great that help reduce the greasy forearms...

First tool -

https://www.amazon.com/No-Mess-Flexible-Bellows-Capture-Tools/dp/B00K5ON6FW

Above tool may not be the right SIZE for our filters, I just found the first link. There are two sizes. It's essentially a big, rubber bellows-cup that surrounds the oil filter and some kind of gripping fingers to grab the filter. You spin it off with a 3/8 drive from the outside bottom. Any spilling oil from the filter falls into the rubber bellows-cup so you can just pour it out later. Doesn't help on horizontal mount filters like our Honda.

2nd tool -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054WI7CW

Magnet with a couple of spanner like fingers on the end of a flexible wand. You break the drain plug bolt free with a regular wrench then attach this thing and remove the plug entirely. No oil on YOU. No drain plug dropped into the drain pan.

Lump

#21 ·
I installed one on my van because I always do my own changes. There was one main reason why I wanted one. I always pour a quart of engine flush detergent into the engine and run it for 5 minutes at operating temp before my oil change. That detergent makes the oil super thin. The result is a firehose of 195deg oil blasting out of the drain when the plug is removed. I was never able to keep the oil from splashing out of the capture container no matter the type or how I held it. The valve allowed me to safely and easily control the flow rate and allowed me to attach a hose to direct into a container.

BUT the fuken thing leaks like crazy and hangs like balls. It will stay in the pan when I toss the engine in the trash this coming summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.