Does anyone use a Fumoto oil valve for oil changes?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Does anyone use a Fumoto oil valve for oil changes?

Postby Meterpig [OP] » January 27th 2015, 4:08am

I have seen these around for quite some time and almost bought a few. After changing the oil today, I think it could be useful. I searched out this site today and didn't find a reference and didn't see anything on the mighty google. So, thoughts?

http://www.fumotousa.com/
Original Poster [OP]
Meterpig
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 2 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 48
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Not a minivan

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Does anyone use a Fumoto oil valve for oil changes?

Postby smokinjoe » January 27th 2015, 4:16am

That is a really cool idea. I have never seen those. Post up if you find any that fit.
smokinjoe
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: smokinjoe has been a member for 8 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 8 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 8 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 8 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 8 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 8 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 8 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA): smokinjoe
Extra Info: RWD

Postby RECox286 » January 27th 2015, 5:53am

It is similar to the Quick Oil Change system that was marketed by Fram for a while

several years ago. Actually, I still have them on 2 of my trucks, and I think they are

the best thing that happened since sliced bread sticks ! Don't have any idea why

Fram gave up on them, but they did. I saw some of the metric thread kits @ HF

but of course, they won't fit an Astro oil pan. So, what else is new ?

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Meterpig [OP] » January 27th 2015, 6:41am

Here is the listing for fit options. Sky is the limit as for what you you want to fit given the open nature of the drain plug.

http://www.fumotousa.com/results.php?ma ... ++4.3L++V6
Original Poster [OP]
Meterpig
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 2 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 48
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Extra Info: Not a minivan

Postby pauldeere » January 27th 2015, 10:33am

Don't think I would trust my engines life on that small valve. There is a similar engine oil drain valve on a tractor I have. It takes forever to drain the two quarts of oil.
pauldeere
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: pauldeere has been a member for 2 full yearspauldeere has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Tall Paul

Postby 1998kingbong » January 27th 2015, 4:54pm

i remember the first time I installed one of those. As I filled the oil I could not help but notice a puddle of clean oil coming towards my feet. Was open when I thought it was closed.
Off it came, now I have to fight to try and find a wrench to fit the drain plug Then I have tto turn the drain plug bolt. It is hell, not sure how i lived without this piece of junk drain valve.
1998kingbong
Years of Membership: 1998kingbong has been a member for 3 full years1998kingbong has been a member for 3 full years1998kingbong has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 19
Year: 1998
Extra Info: awd 165000

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! » January 28th 2015, 12:08am

Lots of the Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel) guys install them - something about their pan threads being fragile and the Fumoto is easier. I think they just don't know how to properly tighten an oil drain plug, personally.

I'd never install one on my vehicles. Too easy to not tighten - or get wrong, as above - and too easy to mess with you by twisting it open when you weren't looking. And, especially, too easy for it to fail.

No, thanks.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 27
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby Lumpy » January 28th 2015, 12:19am

I used Fugawi oil in my compass.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby FrugalAstro » January 28th 2015, 12:22am

Leeann_93 wrote:I'd never install one on my vehicles. Too easy to not tighten - or get wrong, as above - and too easy to mess with you by twisting it open when you weren't looking. And, especially, too easy for it to fail.

No, thanks.

Absolutely agree with this. In all my years of changing oil on a myriad of vehicles, I've never stripped an oil drain plug.
I always use a torque wrench to tighten oil drain plugs.

I also NEVER trust rubber oil lines (like many models of Astros have) used for oil coolers.

My son had a 1996 S10 with a 4.3 - the factory oil cooler (with its already leaking lines) was the first thing to be removed when he purchased it. There are just too many horror stories about these oil cooler lines failing.
FrugalAstro
Years of Membership: FrugalAstro has been a member for 3 full yearsFrugalAstro has been a member for 3 full yearsFrugalAstro has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 1
Year: 1987

Postby RECox286 » January 28th 2015, 12:30am

Well, Leeann, one could always cap the valve with a piece of hose and a bolt. No ?

The ones I use are like a check valve that has a cap, for normal use, that must be

removed and then a fitting that opens the check valve screws onto the fitting for

oil changes. I also use a small ball valve on one of the small gas engines that,

due to position on the base makes it difficult to do oil changes w/o it being messy

(I mean swamp-ugly). Also rigged up one for the air comressor for oil changes.

They all work very well. But I do see where you are comng from with this particular

gizmo. However, you would have the option to safety wire the valve closed too.

When we did oil drains on the T-56 Turboprops (P-3 Orion sub hunter aircraft) first thing

was to safety wire a hose to the bottom of the ball valve, then cut the safety wire holding

the valve shut allowing the valve to be opened. Worked as advertised and we never lost an

airplane to low oil level, either.

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby 97cargocrawler » January 28th 2015, 1:39am

This thread reminded me that I really wanted one of those. After looking around for availability I ended up ordering an EZ branded unit because I'm not a fan of how the brass Fumoto valve looks. The EZ brand has good reviews as well but who knows about internals. Yeah I think a lot could go wrong but having this installed will keep me doing regular oil changes because it will be easy cleanup. I always do an engine flush with each change and the resultant crud shoots out like a 195* firehose into the pan and always gets all over me and the driveway no matter what I rig up to catch it. I always do my own changes (don't trust lube shops) and I always dread the mess, which usually puts off my change past the due date/mileage. So this might be just the thing to keep me regular. I keep a close eye on my gauges so any sudden drop in oil pressure wouldn't go unnoticed for long. For me I think the risk of component failure of the valve is less likely than damage to my engine due to cruddy oil.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): CC, CARGO, CRAWLER, ASSHOLE
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby paulo57509 » January 28th 2015, 4:00am

People either hate or love the Fumoto.

I have a couple of the old Fram Sure-Drains. One is on the FUBAR'ed pan threads on Legend. The other is on the Lumina. I have a couple of new-in-the-package ones for who knows what they fit on. I like the Sure-Drains.

Dorman makes a similar drain valve called the EZ Drain. I've never seen one except in pictures.
paulo57509
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: paulo57509 has been a member for 7 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 7 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 7 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 7 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 7 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 7 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 23
Year: 2003
Extra Info: RWD

Postby Astrofarian » January 28th 2015, 4:40am

Lumpy wrote:I used Fugawi oil in my compass.

Lump

....And he pulls out his compass and says, "Where THE FUGAWI ?" :shrug: :shrug: :rofl:
Cheer up....things could be worse! Look at me...I cheered up & SURE ENOUGH...things got worse! Bwahahahaha......ahem...sorry.....snicker
Astrofarian
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 3 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 3 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Year: 1991
Extra Info: 700000 km plus

Postby nsfkid » December 11th 2016, 11:26pm

I have used these on many of my VW's they are great and have a spring loaded lock indent. I generally use them when the oil pan threads are weak. (alloy oil pans that previous owners have over torqued. These are a well made piece.
nsfkid
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: nsfkid has been a member for 6 full yearsnsfkid has been a member for 6 full yearsnsfkid has been a member for 6 full yearsnsfkid has been a member for 6 full yearsnsfkid has been a member for 6 full yearsnsfkid has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 4
Extra Info: various

Postby AstroWill » February 16th 2017, 8:46am

With the number of scrapes on the bottom of vehicles I look at, there is no way I would put something like that at the bottom of my pan.
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 66
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby MI_GhostMI_Ghost is online! » February 16th 2017, 11:26am

Since you dug it back up Will.

I have used drain valves like these in the past on over the road trucks. They worked great and made changing 10 gallons of oil easy but there are some issues with them.

If you ever go anywhere to get the oil changed and the person in the pit removes it. It is almost guaranteed to leak afterwards because they over tighten them and distort the valve, And like Will mentioned the first trip over a curb or through the back forty could be your last.

I do not do my own oil changes any more. The $30 or so on the van not to deal with the mess is well worth it to me to take it to a quick oil change.
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
MI_GhostMI_Ghost is online!
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby Mmusicman » February 16th 2017, 2:11pm

Leeann_93 wrote:I'd never install one on my vehicles. Too easy to not tighten - or get wrong, as above - and too easy to mess with you by twisting it open when you weren't looking. And, especially, too easy for it to fail.

No, thanks.

COMPLETELY AGREE!!!
How hard is it to change oil? I mean seriously!!!
This is a perfect example of how people often "create their own troubles".
AND what are you going to do about the oil filter??? :shock:
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 35
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 AWD 92 V8-350

Postby zach914v8 » February 16th 2017, 2:46pm

I see why one of these things could look tempting to someone that does their own oil changes. A no tools needed oil change in the driveway does have it's perks. I think with something like this you need to weight the risk vs reward.

Having seen plenty of banged up and scraped oil pans here at work because of Houston's third world roads, I personally wouldn't use one. I think it would be to easy to scrape or break or leak in the conditions here.
My Rides:

1974 Porsche 914 powered by a 305 Chevy v8.

1994 GMC Safari TBI 4.3, Lifted 4"
zach914v8
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: zach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): ballzach
Extra Info: 4 inch lift

Postby Lumpy » February 16th 2017, 3:11pm

I don't think those valves eliminate any hassle/problem. The part about oil change that some want to consider a hassle is the - climb under the van, get the draining oil stream to land in the bucket, disposing of the drained oil. It's not about having or not having a tool. A simple crescent wrench would do the plug. With or without this add on valve thing, you'll still get greasy and have to crawl under your car.

- BUT -

I've got two tools that I think are great that help reduce the greasy forearms...

First tool -

https://www.amazon.com/No-Mess-Flexible-Bellows-Capture-Tools/dp/B00K5ON6FW

Above tool may not be the right SIZE for our filters, I just found the first link. There are two sizes. It's essentially a big, rubber bellows-cup that surrounds the oil filter and some kind of gripping fingers to grab the filter. You spin it off with a 3/8 drive from the outside bottom. Any spilling oil from the filter falls into the rubber bellows-cup so you can just pour it out later. Doesn't help on horizontal mount filters like our Honda.

2nd tool -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054WI7CW

Magnet with a couple of spanner like fingers on the end of a flexible wand. You break the drain plug bolt free with a regular wrench then attach this thing and remove the plug entirely. No oil on YOU. No drain plug dropped into the drain pan.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Mmusicman » February 16th 2017, 3:47pm

I STILL want to know, despite a dangerous oil change gimmick, what is done about the oil filter?
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 35
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 AWD 92 V8-350

Next