Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Oil leak, rear main seal?

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  RECox286 
#1 ·
Just chasing all my leaks here. All my other fluids and leaks are stopped and good to go, just the oil now. It seems as though my oil cooler lines are leaky, and possibly my front engine cover.

I've got a leak between my engine and transmission. I've attached a picture and circled the areas where the the fresh oil seems to be coming from. What leak is this, and what is my fix?

It looks like it may be easiest to drop my oil pan to do the front engine cover leak, so if I need to drop the pan for this one, I'll do it all at once. Is this an RTV gasket? Or rubber, or a press fit seal?

Any ideas? thanks!

PICTURE FIXED

IMAG0249.jpg

See less See more
#6 ·
Depending on how big the drip is as to whether or not it is worth attacking it.

If it is less than 1 qt in say, 5k mi is it worth $4 to $5 in order to keep the

oil level where it should be ? If it is more like spewing 3 qts per hr, then there

is no choice. (????) One of my trucks takes a full qt of make-up oil in between

oil changes, then again the engine has 325k mi. showing, and puffs a bit of white

smoke on start-up in the morning. (Yawn ! Is it time to go to work already ?)

These trucks are machines, and if there weren't a puddle under them, I'd be

forced to believe there was no liquids in them. Decide accordingly, or by volumn.

Uncle Bob

#7 ·
My oil lines leaked like the whitehouse press office for quite some time. They are gone and now are most of my leaks. I am left with a minor drip from the steering cooling lines and a front seal. Given the quality of the seals removed from my engine, I am not surprised. Pretty much..garbage.

#11 ·
My father used to tell a true story, well several stories really, about various trips made in

1920 vintage automobiles (Fords). One such story recounted the time he took off for Fla

from NJ. The engine leaked oil, so bad that he had to rig a dishpan underneath the oil pan

in order to catch the oil. He had to stop about every 20 miles or so to un-rig the dishpan,

pour the oil back into the engine, re-rig the dishpan, and continue the trip. He was finally

able to get the leak fixed in Miami. Talk about perserverance...

Uncle Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.