Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

home made v8 motor mounts

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bubbalowe 
#1 ·
OK the stock motor mounts on the V8 block are to far back to set into the V8 frame mounts so I took two pieces of 1/4 inch steel
approximately 8 x 4 in size. with the transmission already sitting in the stock location I bolted the truck block mounts to the Astro frame mounts loose so I could move the mounts if needed. I then took the engine block and set it in the engine bay hanging on the hoist. then I took my two pieces of steel put them between the engine block and the block mount. when you get the pieces where you want/need them you mark where you want to bolt both to the block and to the motor mount after getting both side done you lift the engine and drill the holes for both the block and the motor mount. :rockon:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That looks like a LOT of work just to save $50! Plus the JTR mounts are fully adjustable to eliminate misplacement and improper fitment. You can literally slide the block back and forth on them (after installed) to get it exactly where you want it.

But I fully admire your effort and craftsmanship! Your design method is smart (your measurement method is simple and effective) and no doubt in the end they will work perfectly. I built a set of customized relocated solid motor mounts for a big block van much the same way back a few years ago.

They look great! Nice job!

#4 ·
I made these like 10 years ago and have had them on about as many vans, remember I used to live in Maine and vehicles rust out there so when a van got to rusty I stripped it and kept many parts. Until I bought my 89 RS which came from florida. Thats part of the reason my 89 is not done because its rust free and is worth it to me to go all through it and customize at the same time. I posted this home made mounts because another member asked for it in a pm. I don't even know if JTR was around when I made these. Thank you for your kind words, Mark

#5 ·
Good post.Tthe offset from the drivers side over the dif is the challenge. I noticed the use of urethane which is a huge improvement and will outlast rubber. Rancho Suspension makes urethane leaf spring bushings that fit 2" schedule 80 pipe and are easy to use, simply bolt plates on the original mounting horns , use a level and tack the pipe where it needs to be. Presto, full custom mounts that can take a 350. My motor sets nice and low with only a 1/2" between the crank pulley and sway bar. If it ever thaws out here I will get some pictures up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.