Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Umm, why is this line not connected?

3K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  SAFSTRO69 
#1 ·
So, I had "all" my brake lines replaced. Shop said there were 6. Thought I'd go under the van and nosey around a little and educate myself. (I know NOTHING and it's not a comfortable place to be). So I see where the lines have been replaced (at least partially? - more on that later) and I see there's two lines going to each rear brake. The skinny one must be the hydraulic line, and the other one, the fatter one with the bigger spring, well I dunno.

WP_20150428_002.jpg

So on one side they're both hooked up and all's well (? again I hope so, I have no clue) but on the other side, the fatter line looks like this:

WP_20150428_003.jpg

Not connected, broken completely in two.
So, what gives?
Can someone help me out? It makes me nervous to see something completely disconnected going to my wheel. I apologize in advance for the completely helpless nature of this question. Like I say, I'm trying to educate myself and you have to start somewheres. :ty:

See less See more
#29 ·
For the most part, once the defective part is identified, it becomes a fairly easy job of looking at how the

part attachs/interacts with its' neighbors. Looking at the new part in hand will also give you a better idea

of what must be undone to remove it from the truck. If you can't figure out what you need in the way of tools,

then ask particular questions; Here's the problem, what do I need ? You will get quick answers, and some good

tips about the particular job. Don't get discouraged if it takes a lot longer than what you think it should, next

time you do it, it will seem straight forward, and you won't have to think about it, you will just do it. That is

how most if not all of us started out and finally were awarded the Bronze Budweiser for bravery under fire.

Don't go out and try to buy "all the tools you will ever need" rather, if you have a basic set of what are referred to

as Automotive Tools to start, then add to your kit as the need arises, you will be just like most of us were/are.

You may even find you can be a contributor, giving others your input, after all, specific troubles are not specific to

you alone. Basics: You will need to have some equipment to raise and keep the truck airborne, which will make

your working on it easier. If you have a Harbor Freight near you, then go window shopping to see what they have

available ... floor jacks, jack stands, common tools; socket sets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc. I will advise

to strive to get a heavier duty [jack, jack stand] than what you will consider to be adequate, 1) you will have to work

less to use the tool, and 2) you will feel a greater sense of comfort when you slide under the truck. IE: I use 3 ton

jacks, and 6 ton jack stands when only 1-1/2 ton rated equipment will actually suffice. But when I'm under the truck,

I'm thinking about what is for dinner, not what is going to hurt if the equipment fails ! If you don't have a HF near-by,

then you can visit them on-line, just like any other tool and equipment vendor you may have in mind. You can also

avail yourself of the Big Box stores, Sears, Northern Tool, Snap-On, Mac, Cornwell, all the LAPS, the list goes on.

So, the sooner you join the Dirty Hand Club, the sooner you will be to a well earned cold Budweiser at the end. One

more tip; avail yourself of the plethora of videos available on U-Tube, and the ones available on LAPS websites.

You may want to upgrade your tech library with an authorized set of Factory Service Manuals which are not abridged

as the Haynes or Chiltons are. (hint: look on Amazon, and E-Bay )

Good hunting

Uncle Bob

#30 ·
If you have worked on bicycles before, take a look at those cables, similar design only larger ;) Manuals are also available online and at your local library.

#33 ·
It always helps to put as much information in your profile, but don't give up your SSN, Telephone #,

AAA membership, credit cards or the like !

Uncle Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.