Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

New A/C Leak

4K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  Astro Pop 
#1 ·
My a/c compressor was replaced 4 years ago and the A/C was running fine with a need to recharge each spring. However, this year, I had bought an Manifold gauge kit and noticed that I had not freon in the system. I pulled a vacuum and let it sit for an hour. It went from 23 hg down to 15. So, is that too much? Can I use a can of freon with stop leak to fix?

#27 ·
I hope the write up helps.
I get my parts from O'Reilly. The quality scares me but they have a lifetime warranty on all their parts and they have an in house tracking system if you don't have a receipt. I had two minor parts fail after a couple years. They looked them up on their system and immediately gave me new parts. Plus it helps that the Sacramento main warehouse is 1/2 mi from my place and I never have to order parts and wait. On a major component such as the compressor the warranty is critical. AutoZone also has the same system. Worth checking out. Good Luck

#29 ·
No. The sealer is a chemical that slightly swells the seals. It's not like tire sealant that is a goop. Just be sure to add a little A/C oil back in the system when recharging. Also be sure to leak check the system and pull a vacuum for a long time to clean it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.